Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2002 2:56:45 PM EDT
I was thinking, why are we not tougher on criminals that use guns in criminal acts? I know a guy (not a friend by any means)that got caught after a armed robbery of a Burger King. He used a revolver in the crime, he did not hurt or shoot anyone. He got out of prison after a mere 2 years. Wouldn't it be more of a deterrant if we put these scum in for much longer, even make a campaign about "use a gun in a crime, spend 20 years in prison". Would that not keep criminals from using guns or do you think it would not make any difference to the common criminal and it would just increase our already overcrowded prisons?

It seems our government would rather punish the innocent people with bullshit like hi cap mag bans, and assault rifle ban, and forced registration, etc.. instead of doing anything that might actually reduce the use of guns in crimes.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]
It would, however, keep them off the street longer.  

IIRC, there is a state or two that tacks an [b]extra[/b] five years on a sentence for any crime in which a firearm is involved, whether it is discharged or not.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:51:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It would, however, keep them off the street longer.  

IIRC, there is a state or two that tacks an [b]extra[/b] five years on a sentence for any crime in which a firearm is involved, whether it is discharged or not.  
View Quote

You are correct.  In FL, it's a 5 year "bonus" for pulling the gun, 10 years if it's discharged without hitting anybody, 20 or 25 years if you shoot someone.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:18:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Put in a search for 10 20 life Florida, and see what you get.

Its 10 for pulling the gun in the first place.
Its 20 if it goes BOOM!
Its LIFE if sombody gets dinged.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#6]
isn't Hellraiser's idea very similar to the premise behind Project Exile?  i hear that Virginia has had some success with that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
isn't Hellraiser's idea very similar to the premise behind Project Exile?  i hear that Virginia has had some success with that.
View Quote

We don't have parole, either. Yo uget twenty, you [b]DO[/b] twenty...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Criminals who use guns are generally not smart enough to be deterred by strict laws.

If they were smart enough to make that conclusion, they'd use their brains for something else.

that said, I'm all for steep sentencing for criminals who use guns in violent crimes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#9]
2 years for armed robbery?? are you sure thats all that he got did he make a deal or something like that?
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, the prisons are too full of those viscious pot smokers to put innocent violent felons in jail for long.  A study aired on PBS about a year ago showed that people were getting longer jail terms for pot than for violent felonies, including murder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top