Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2002 10:02:25 PM EDT
I work in the Information Security industry, and unfortunately work in that area is in short supply here in Houston, TX.  So, after trying to find work for the last two months and swallowing my pride by accepting help from my mother and grandmother, I've decided it may be time to leave Texas, which pains me greatly.

So, if I do move, it must be to some place with a decent amount of hi-tech industry and is as gun friendly as Texas.  I must be able to keep my AR-15, purchase more guns with no silly "x per month" limit, and with shall-issue concealed carry or better.  I've considered moving to Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio, but the markets there are no better for my line of work.  Sadly, Kalifornia is the mecca for my type of work, and I'd rather go bankrupt than move there.

Any suggestions?

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about the market for your skills out here, but the gunlaws are [B]GREAT[/B] in Arizona.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you get by on one handgun a month? Virginia is nice. And you can always be a contract civilian down around the fortress of the east coast...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I work in the Information Security industry, and unfortunately work in that area is in short supply here in Houston, TX.  So, after trying to find work for the last two months and swallowing my pride by accepting help from my mother and grandmother, I've decided it may be time to leave Texas, which pains me greatly.

So, if I do move, it must be to some place with a decent amount of hi-tech industry and is as gun friendly as Texas.  I must be able to keep my AR-15, purchase more guns with no silly "x per month" limit, and with shall-issue concealed carry or better.  I've considered moving to Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio, but the markets there are no better for my line of work.  Sadly, Kalifornia is the mecca for my type of work, and I'd rather go bankrupt than move there.

Any suggestions?

View Quote

Sorry to read this!

Austin/San Antonio hasn't picked up much??

What about Idaho, Utah, Colorado ??
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Duh, New Jersey.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 11:56:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Arizona or South Dakota (The Western part is God's country)
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:40:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Austin/San Antonio hasn't picked up much??

What about Idaho, Utah, Colorado ??
View Quote

Last I checked, Austin was still really bad after the .com bust.  San Antonio does't seem to have many jobs either.  I don't even get call backs here in Houston when I send out resumes, and when I call them they don't return my calls.  Most of the people I've worked with or know professionally are unemployed as well.

Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:50:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
GBT, I hope you don't end up moving.  I'd hate to have to make that choice.  I hope you can make it work out so you can stay here in Paradise!

-Gloftoe
View Quote

Believe me, I hate that I might have to do it, but I have to make a living.  I have three souls other than my own that I'm responsible for, and I refuse to let them down.

Link Posted: 6/14/2002 1:54:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I was listening to Paul Harvey awhile back and he said that American companies now send %44 their computer work outside of the United States, he also said that figure will rise to over %66 next year.

I hope your work is not effected by this. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you soon.  Am-O-Tramp
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 2:21:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 2:57:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Try [url]www.jobsinnh.com[/url]. New Hampshire is gun friendly, from my understanding there isn’t any special license needed for FA, all you need to purchase a handgun is the $$ and your drivers license, IIRC open carry if you don’t have the CCW, no income tax, and inexpensive land/ property.

However, if you happen to have to move to MA I can get you list of handguns to bring in to sell that we can’t get here [:)].
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 3:18:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Indiana is about as gun friendly as you can get. Last month the local news here in Indianapolis ran a story on the vulnerability of local businesses. They had a guy driving around scanning for unsecured data. He got quite a few hits. I'm unfamiliar with that field.  His device resembled a palm pilot with a disk inserted in the top. Obviously, there must be some work up here. I don't know if that's what you're looking for or not. Good luck.  
View Quote

Probably a Compaq iPaq running Linux with an 802.11b wireless network card.  I've been doing wireless network security for 3 years now, and I've got some neat tools.  You'd be amazed at what can be done, yet 802.11b networks continue to be deployed.  I'm wondering how my tools will work with 802.11a, but I don't have the money to buy the equipment.

I'll keep Indiana in mind.  I'm hoping to find something down here though.

Link Posted: 6/14/2002 3:39:13 AM EDT
[#13]
The only gun friendly state, that ALSO HAS JOBS IN YOUR FIELD is Georgia; specifically the Metro Atlanta area.  Course they do barbeque different in this part of the South, and the drawl's a little different, but there's plenty of Tex-Mex restaurants, lots of gun shows, & some of the gun dealers are even halfway honest [:D]  Oh yeah,  really good deer hunting all over the state.

Check it out.  I know you Texicans hate to leave home, but if you just gotta do it, the Peach State has a lot going for it.

Link Posted: 6/14/2002 4:17:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I hear Vermont is great gun-wise.  And there is some hi-tech industry in New Hampshire, and of course Massachusetts.  Don't live in Mass, just work there if you have to.  Remember, don't get no idears about packing next to the fiar hydrants.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 4:39:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Florida.....Or if you do have a DOD security clearance....Virginia is great too. Since 9/11 lots of Federal Agency need your type of work and specially with the creation of a new HomeLand Security Agency.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:47:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Echoing the previous inputs from my Virginia neighbors, we live in a VERY gun-friendly state.  Furthermore, there are lots of MIS jobs up here in the DC area.  I suspect that this is a target rich enviroment for someone with your experience.
Check out the major defense contractors online.  Dyncorp/BAE Systems/Lockheed Martin/SAIC/Northrop Grumman/General Dynamics/.  There are lots more...and they all have online jobs listings with detailed descriptions.  Way expensive to live up near DC...but lots of us live downstate near Fredericksburg and commute dayly.
Good Luck!
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:48:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Virginia.  We have a lot of tech jobs in Northern Virginia, plus you could work for the govt. or a govt. contractor.  Those jobs have good security.  The govt. not going anywhere and right now, Information Security is big for them.  The one caveat to your requirements is you have to live with a 1 handgun a month BS.  However there are attempts being made to overturn that.  Virginia is shall issue CCW too.  If you live in Northern Virginia, you can visit the NRA range which is probably one of the best indoor ranges in the country.  You can shoot anything up to and including .460 Weatherby Magnum there.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Dell in Nashville is hiring. Idon't know if there is anything for you there, but it's an option. Try the Huntsville Alabama area also. Lot's of government sub-contractors here. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Handgun Control can help you!! Go to handguncontrol.com and do a search for "report card". You can then review their "grades" for each state. Look for states with a "D" or less! Try not to puke while looking at their site!

Good luck on your job search!

docmac86
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Denver metro, but NOT Denver.

We have Sun, IBM, HP and alot of other high tech firms in the Interlockin and Denver Tech Center areas.

good luck

-legrue
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top