Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2002 8:37:06 PM EDT
I've heard a lot more about reparations for black-Americans lately. Maybe I just an idiot, but if this is another form of welfare(I.E. if you make too much money you lose it) then how does this benefit blacks in this country.it sounds like economic slavery to me. Why does the black population not see that they have gladly excepted economic slavery in lieu of physical slavery. This floors me, I just don't understand why someone( or a race of people) would so willingly submit to such an obvious form of slavery in the 21st century.

Input please.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, certainly. I'm all for reparations as long as they are applied equally. My ancestors were Vikings. As soon as I'm allowed to loot and plunder I'll vote for reparations. Why, just try to put yourself in my place. Think how repressed all the Vikings and their decendents must feel after suppressing their natural urges for the past few hundred years.

NMSight
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#3]
None of the slaves or the children of the slaves are still alive.

There is nobody to pay.

My family came over from Poland in the 1920's.

Why should I pay?

My Grandfather's childhood home was destroyed by Allied bombers in WW2.

Where's MY money?

Av.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I do not understand the logic behind paying reparations to them for something that happened over a century ago and has had no negative impact on them. Sure maybe if the actual slaves where still alive I might understand paying them a sum of money sort of like how germany pays israel. But this post-traumatic slave syndrome is a load of crap. It just sounds like a way for someone to make money off the taxpayers to me.
View Quote
Amen, I my humble opinion, slaves benefited from US slavery. They'er fimilar with the culture and language of the greatest nation on earth. New immigrants don't have that luxury. This is not to justify slavery, but lets face it, is life better in Nigeria ???
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
My family came here from Italy in around 1915-20. Never owned slaves. I refuse to pay 1 cent.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#6]
"post-traumatic slave syndrome"

LMFAO! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#8]
It's ludicrous, but it won't surprise me if/when it happens.  There's a reason my father didn't grow up on the reservation, and he was a better man for it.  I have no respect for anyone who doesn't work for what they have.  If certain Americans who are black think that by getting reparations they will be better off, I think they are sadly mistaken.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Black, white, brown, red, yellow...

It makes no damned difference what color a person is.  Until you learn to quit blaming everybody else for your own situation, you will get nowhere in life.

Johnson's Great Society was the worst thing to ever happen to anybody.  It created generations of economic slaves, dependent on government.  I suppose that means some guilt-ridden idiot will want to pay all the past welfare recipients to make up for all the harm that was done by giving them welfare money in the first place.

Note, I am sure both of the above thoughts will drive liberal fools to an early grave.  At least I hope it will.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Being the RedHeadedWhiteBoy, I've gotta come up with a lucrative angle for THAT...[;D]
I mean, I'm in a SERIOUS minority group!
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#11]
(sarcasm on)As a DEcendant of Adam and eve, I still suffer emotionally from the "scars" of my WHITE ancestors who were enslaved by the Assyrians,Persians,Romans, and Egyptians

(HEY!, wait! Weren't the Jews white and enslaved by the Egyptian Africans some of which were black?)

,and therefore even though i was never a Slave personally I feel I should recieve Millions of dollars, so i can feel better about myself and if i don't my feelings will be hurt and I may get violent so you better pay me off, or who knows what i will do!(sarcasm off)[>(]

And here I thought Blackmail was illegal!

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe Blacks should have to reparations to the Union soldiers and thier Families that fought and gave thier lives so that the slaves could be free.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Absolutely do reparations! My family lost a lot of property and land in Virginia following the War of Northern Agression. If the Jews can be compensated for their losses during WW II, and the blacks for what was done to their ancestors, then I want compensation for my lost patronage. Especially since my family really was harmed by that illegal and immoral war.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#14]
[img]www.spc.uchicago.edu/users/cbm4/images/bullshit.gif[/img]

I think it's a crock of shit!

No rational justification for it!

[soapbox]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#15]
We are already paying it. The IRS found out it paid 3 million dollars in refunds for people climing a slavery 'tax credit'. I shit you not.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We are already paying it. The IRS found out it paid 3 million dollars in refunds for people climing a slavery 'tax credit'. I shit you not.
View Quote
I'm not surprised.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Absolutely do reparations! My family lost a lot of property and land in Virginia following the War of Northern Agression. If the Jews can be compensated for their losses during WW II, and the blacks for what was done to their ancestors, then I want compensation for my lost patronage. Especially since my family really was harmed by that illegal and immoral war.
View Quote
Well maybe if you spoke Ebonics, you could get you property back!(Isn't ebonics just a euphamisizem for Jive !!!)
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Just for those who might be offended by that last comment, I quoted that from the black economist Mr. Walter E. Williams. So there !!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#19]
You guys wouldn't understand....it's a black thang.

We brothers [i]need[/i] that money for our Fro's!!

[img]http://www.sacbee.com/ips_rich_content/412-0612afro1_250x215.jpg[/img]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just for those who might be offended by that last comment, I quoted that from the black economist Mr. Walter E. Williams. So there !!!
View Quote

You mean [b]Dr.[/b] Walter E. Williams, intellectual American [i]extraordinaire[/i]?!!  Ain't he great?  He subbed for Rush today and is just the BEST to listen to.  He is a gift to the Country.  I hope he lives forever.  
View Quote
You are right the Dr. Walter E. Williams. My bad
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:48:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I think that we should pay reparations immediately to the most downtrodden US citizens today ... the white, middle-aged, American male.

Johnson's Great Society was the worst thing to ever happen to anybody.
View Quote
 I really think that it started with FDR during the Depression.  He started Americans thinking, in a big way, that the government could & would bail them out when things got tough.

War of Northern Agression
View Quote
 HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  The Big Lie.  Revisionist history is always fun to read if you can see the humor in it.  Unfortunately some actually believe this stuff.  Let it go guys.  It was done almost 140 years ago.

BTW, it's "aggression" not "agression."
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:22:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm am slave at work....I want reparations too!
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#25]
To answer the question...
[red][size=3]No Way[/size=3][/red]

Why? Why are they different than native americans? Ask yourself that. [blue] Whaaaaa[/blue][>(]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:37:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think that we should pay reparations immediately to the most downtrodden US citizens today ... the white, middle-aged, American male.

Johnson's Great Society was the worst thing to ever happen to anybody.
View Quote
 I really think that it started with FDR during the Depression.  He started Americans thinking, in a big way, that the government could & would bail them out when things got tough.

War of Northern Agression
View Quote
 HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  The Big Lie.  Revisionist history is always fun to read if you can see the humor in it.  Unfortunately some actually believe this stuff.  Let it go guys.  It was done almost 140 years ago.

BTW, it's "aggression" not "agression."
View Quote

Well hardcase, if it was not the War of Northern Aggression, then what was it?  The War to free the slaves?  Now THAT is revisionist history.  Or how about the War for States Rights.  It may have been 136 years ago, but we have all been slaves to the Feral(no misspelling there) Government ever since.  Now that's the truth!
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#27]
How can anyone expect to receive reperations for something that was acceptable and legal at the time.  Just another scam to make some money while doing nothing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Whenever the issue of slave reparations comes up, I always have the same response:

[b]In 1911,  [url=http://stills.nap.edu/btw/Vol.1/html/430.html]Booker T. Washington[/url] wrote:

"There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs - partly because they want sympathy, partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.

I'm afraid that there is a certain class of race-problem solvers who don't want the patient to get well, because as long as the disease holds out they have not only an easy means of making a living, but also an easy medium through which to make themselves prominent before the public."[/b]

Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#29]
[size=6][red][b]NO![/b][/red][/size=6]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#30]
They should be happy.  Just like us, they have a better life than 90% of the people in this world.  Through the "suffering" of their ancestors they now live in the greatest country in history.  Much better than their kin in Africa.  They could still be there.

Then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Damn, that was our biggest mistake.  We should have sent them back.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#32]
That's a damn good quote The_Macallan!!!

Link Posted: 6/14/2002 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#33]
My family were italian and irish immigrants around the turn of the century. Neither they or myself have ever owned slaves. But even if my g-g-g granddaddy owned slaves, I still have not.

f- 'em and tell 'em to get a job if they want money. That's what we all had to do.

-legrue
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Sure,give them reparations.The money they recieve should be collected directly from their Brothers in Africa that sold them to the White Man in the first place.Not many people know that they were sold by their own race.
 Secondly,what should be done is that a number should be placed on their economic wealth as an average for All the race.Those that have grossly benefited from this SOOOOOOOO terrible place called America,such as Winfrey,Jordan,Jackson's etc. should give to those of their race who did not succeed in this unfair,slave favored society.
 What B.S.!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Reparations = Bullshit, plain and simple.

There is no-one alive who was directly affected by the whole slavery issue - "second person" involvement is increasingly rare as the "Civil War Widows" are dying off (if they haven't all gone to the Great Beyond by now...)

What hacks me the most is that we will ALL, every one of us (and that INCLUDES the blacks who will collect!) will be paying the bill for "reparations."  If it's from the government, it will be paid for by taxes.  If it's from companies, prices will go up.  You think anyone will get a break after it's been paid?  Nope, prices will go up for ALL of us!

Besides, while my roots have been planted here for a long time (we settled Indiana before it was a state!) what of reparations for my family?  We were all over the North side of the Civil War lines, and I must have lost dozens of family members.  If these n***ers get paid back, I want paybeck too!  Meanwhile, I shall continue working for my money, like all of us are expected to...

"'Nigger' is defined in the dictionary as 'shiftless and lazy.'  You don't have to be black to be a nigger.  One of the best examples I saw was on 'Hee Haw.'  These two white guys were sitting in their shack..

"'Do you think it's raining?'
"'I dunno.  Call the dog in, see if he's wet.'

"Shiftless and lazy."
    - Redd Foxx

FFZ
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:02:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Check the MacAllan quote from Booker T. Washington for legitimacy.  Just to be sure.  It is a great, concise comment on what has been happening.  But, you don't want to get your legs cut out from under you if someone can prove it wasn't made or made by him.  Just a suggestion, not criticizing it.

You might just see the reparations issue come up in a big way, quite suddenly, if a presidential election in, say, 2008 were to be really close.  Wouldn't be the first time a certain party made promises to a certain group to get the votes needed to put them over the top.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:51:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I do not understand the logic behind paying reparations to them for something that happened over a century ago and has had no negative impact on them. Sure maybe if the actual slaves where still alive I might understand paying them a sum of money sort of like how germany pays israel. But this post-traumatic slave syndrome is a load of crap. It just sounds like a way for someone to make money off the taxpayers to me.
View Quote

Seems to me, reparations are a good idea! They should be paid by the people who enslaved them...their own countrymen/other tribes!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:12:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My family came over from Poland in the 1920's.

My Grandfather's childhood home was destroyed by Allied bombers in WW2.

Where's MY money?

Av.
View Quote

See the Marshall plan.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
why is this even a question on this board?
View Quote

I was wondering the same thing.
AB
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Check the MacAllan quote from Booker T. Washington for legitimacy.  Just to be sure.  It is a great, concise comment on what has been happening.  But, you don't want to get your legs cut out from under you if someone can prove it wasn't made or made by him.  Just a suggestion, not criticizing it.
View Quote

It's his own words from his autobiography.

Did you even LOOK at the link I provided?

Go to the library and check it out if your still unconvinced.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#44]
I did not criticize or cast doubt upon you.  No, I did not read his autobiography.  Anyone who actually reads my post, not just the first sentence, would realize the admonishment was to be sure of it so as not to be embarassed as with so many quotes which turned out not to have been made as attributed.  There was a thread on this board about a whole bunch of apocryphal quotes.  Just saying to be sure (I get sick of repeating myself multiple times, and constantly seeing that it's necessary).

If accurate, the quote is important, as the issue will be raised again in the political scene, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I did not criticize or cast doubt upon you.  No, I did not read his autobiography.  Anyone who actually reads my post, not just the first sentence, would realize the admonishment was to be sure of it so as not to be embarassed as with so many quotes which turned out not to have been made as attributed.  There was a thread on this board about a whole bunch of apocryphal quotes.  Just saying to be sure (I get sick of repeating myself multiple times, and constantly seeing that it's necessary).

If accurate, the quote is important, as the issue will be raised again in the political scene, I'm sure.
View Quote

Yes, I agree there are plenty of hoaxes circulating the Internet that have appeared here as well (the infamous "Dennis Miller" take on Palestinians being just one example._

Your concern is well warranted.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#46]
[b]W[/b]elfare +
[u][b]A[/b]ffirmative action[/u] =
[b]R[/b]eparations
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#47]
I think we need to help every anti-gun politician running for congress, senate or president make reparations for slavery part of their campaign.

In fact, it should be the pillar of their entire election campaign.

I cant imagine any non-black, tax paying voter, selecting a candidate who wants to pay somebody with tax money for something that happened more than 136 years ago.

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#48]
You [URL=http://www.caladvocate.com/articles/Reparations%20for%20slavery--.html]ain't seen[/URL]
nothing [URL=http://www.arm.arc.co.uk/FAQs.html]
yet.[/URL]

[IMG]http://detnews.com/aaec/2002images/oliphant.jpg[/IMG]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top