"...she's so anal retentive..."

I simply use the term "shithead". [;D]
What's your definition?
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Picky
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
A shithead is not the same thing as someone who's anal.  

A shithead is a worthless person.

Someone who's anal retentive is a persnickity perfectionist/control freak.  Freud coined this great term to describe people with that uptight personaility.  His theory is, people with that attitude are like that because as children they derived pleasure by....uh......holding in their poop.  Seriously.  But Freud had a lot of weird theories.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you know the difference between a brown-noser and a shithead?

Depth perception!
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#5]
"Anal" and "anal retentive" is usually used to refer to someone who is uptight about cleanliness, order, procedure, etc.

It stems from the idea of the "anal" stage of Freudian psychosexual development.  According to Freud, babies learn to achieve gratification from the control of their bowels.  An interruption in sexual development at this point will result in either "anal retentiveness"--which means adult pleasure is derived from order, control, and environmental stability; or "anal expulsiveness" which means than satisfaction is derived from chaos, disorderliness, and unpredictablity.

Note: this was all dragged out of my long-term memories from Psychology 101.  If I'm wrong about any of this, please don't hold it against me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Meticulously Nit-Picky to an excessive degree.
(I'm like that at times....)
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]
So, Felix Unger would be "anal"?
Barney Fife would be "shithead"?

I guess if you split the difference between "retentiveness and expulsiveness", you get a lumpy fart?

I didn't understand the definition nor did I know where it came from, so I asked.  Uh-oh.
Now, I've done it!
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Huh, you said anal, HEHEHE
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#9]
posted by busmaster007
So, Felix Unger would be "anal"?
Barney Fife would be "shithead"?
View Quote
And Frank Burns would be Anal Retentive Pinhead. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It stems from the idea of the "anal" stage of Freudian psychosexual development.  According to Freud, babies learn to achieve gratification from the control of their bowels.  An interruption in sexual development at this point will result in either "anal retentiveness"--which means adult pleasure is derived from order, control, and environmental stability; or "anal expulsiveness" which means than satisfaction is derived from chaos, disorderliness, and unpredictablity.
View Quote

Like the Odd Couple!
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Note: this was all dragged out of my long-term memories from Psychology 101.  If I'm wrong about any of this, please don't hold it against me.
View Quote

you are correct sir
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Anal people are like, if you lose a lump of coal, expect to find a diamond if they sat on it....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So many people use the term "anal": [moon]

"...he's so anal..."
"...she's so anal retentive..."

I simply use the term "shithead". [;D]
What's your definition?
View Quote

I believe that Master BungHole is the only one truly qualified to answer this.[:D]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Anal is someone who spends more time cleaning their rifle than shooting it.[:D]

coyote3
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 3:12:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anal is someone who spends more time cleaning their rifle than shooting it.[:D]

coyote3
View Quote

You mean 3 hours and 600 Q-tips just on that spot under the gas tube is too much?
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 3:40:01 AM EDT
[#17]
An anal person is one who is intelligent, observant, and competent enough to combine highly developed organizational skills with an above-average attention to detail.  [:)]

DrMark

PS - You guys should be more consistent with your formatting of quotes from post to post within a thread.  [;)]

Link Posted: 6/14/2002 3:41:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 3:48:50 AM EDT
[#19]
The definition of anal is when your shuttlecraft is about an inch south of it's normal docking station...

[;D]

the_reject
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:09:09 AM EDT
[#20]
You have this canal where you cannot see.  So if you remove the see from canal you have "anal"
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:27:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The definition of anal is...somebody who needs a definition of anal. [;D]
View Quote

OK!OK! The shocking Truth is I was born a 'breech' !
As I entered this world, they thought I had a little patch of hair down the middle of my head; only it wasn't my head coming out first!
"Oh my.  He's a breech baby", is what the Doctor said.
"Put him back.", is what my Dad said...
Or so I've been told. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top