Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2002 5:39:04 PM EDT
I just took a IPSC safety course but was wanting some feedback before I go equipment buying. Which do people prefer?
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The IDPA concept is OK it's just bogged down with Bill Wilson and friends' rule book. THEY ARE BOTH A GAME!!! IPSC let's you shoot alot more and due to the scoring is more fun to shoot because it's faster (if you're shooting "major"). IPSC let's the shooter decide how to shoot a feild course while IDPA mandates everything to the point it's not as fun. IT'S A GAME!!! The only advantage to IDPA is a real carry gun is competitive while in IPSC you need a "breathed on" gun except for Production class. IPSC courses are often much more advanced from a shooting perspective as well. Remember, when a timer is running IT'S A GAME!!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#2]
IPSC never claimed to be anything other than a silly game.

IDPA thinks they are teaching you to be a Ninja. Really it just stand for.

I Don't Practice Anymore
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]
First I'll admit I'm biased.  I played IPSC first.

Personally I don't shoot many IPSC pistol only matches anymore, it's strickly 3-gun for me.  Afterall why leave the rifle and shotgun home?  IPSC is fast, challenging, has a lost of movement and requires a shooter to think on his feet.

IDPA on the other hand is more real world (as much as a game can be).  Although I'm certain with my IPSC background if I get into a firefight and change mags - mag retention is out the door.  IDPA seems very restrictive to me, but some people like the structure and the rules that penalize you for not using cover.

IPSC pistol stage - 22 to 36 rounds, typically a field course with multiple engagements and fast movement.

IDPA pistol stage - 6 to 18 rounds, typically 1 or 2 designated shooting positions reloading in total cover, shooting while using cover, requires retaining any mag with rounds still in it.

I like to run and gun, and espcially enjoy the challenge offered by the rifle and shotgun stages in a good 3-gun match.

Ryan
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
IPSC is more fun then IDPA but I do both.
I like the freestyle shooting of IPSC.
IDPA claims to teach you tactics. But what they really do is take all the freestyle out of practical shooting. Do it exactly as instructed or get a failure to do right. Oh IDPA does make you think but what you are thinking about is what they told you to do not the best way to do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top