Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2002 4:23:39 PM EDT
I'm just kinda wondering, I have submitted a Resume for an open position with the US District Court here in Seattle. I'm sure that I'll get an interview, but the position requires a BG check. No problem there, except my AR15 6550, HK91, HK Tactical, and the P99.

Would this info show up? -and possibly alter their selection choice.

I really have better things to be afraid of, than worrying whether my firearms could cost me a great job! [peep]

Edited to add, I added the gun types to make the point that they are all military'ish. I'm sure a bolt action remington .22 wouldn't raise any flags...[:)]

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm just kinda wondering, I have submitted a Resume for an open position with the US District Court here in Seattle. I'm sure that I'll get an interview, but the position requires a BG check. No problem there, except my AR15 6550, HK91, HK Tactical, and the P99.

Would this info show up? -and possibly alter their selection choice.

I really have better things to be afraid of, than worrying whether my firearms could cost me a great job! [peep]

View Quote

If you were going to have BG check problems, they would have shown up when you were BUYING your toys!!

I've had security clearances as high as TS while owning lots of guns.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've had security clearences as high as TS while owning lots of guns.
View Quote

OK, that's good. My BG is clear, I was just wondering about their paranoia levels! heh
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Most likely not, unless those making the selections specifically wanted to rule out gun owners. Even then, your background is conducted through NCIC. This determines your criminal history, not firearm purchases. NCIC is use for you gun background check as well, but this system is not designed to store that kind of info. FBI or BATF may have a database for gun owners, but the distict court would not have access to this file if it does exist.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Won't be ap problem. I own plenty of evil, black, miltary style firearms and not only have TS clerance in the military but I also have State Department and Secret Service clearance as a member of FDNY's Dignitary Protection Detail. We provide EMS support for POTUS, VPOTUS, and visiting dignitaries in NYC. We become part of their security detail when they're in town and fall under the command of the Secret Service or DSS, depending on who is in charge. If the SS and DSS don't care what firearms I own you shouldn't have a problem.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be more worried about them finding out what your screen name is.

Kyle
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OK, that's good. My BG is clear, I was just wondering about their paranoia levels! heh
View Quote

Probabaly no concern. I work in a very PC/liberal community (Fire Dept) and one of our guys originally applied for the police. He was questioned about his ownership of an "assault rifle" (a DCM type one at that). I forget his exact answer, but it wasn't something *I* would have told them if I wanted the job. I guess he really didn't want the job either because even though they accepted him, he turned it down once
greener pastures came along.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Badseed,

Don't worry.

Seriously, you have forgotten Rule #1, which is never forget the Second Amendment.  It is perfectly legal to own those firearms, assuming you aren't a felon.

Second, unless your state has a registry, the specific information on what you own won't show up in any background check.

Third, if somebody would reject you based on firearm ownership, screw-em.  Find another job.  (In reality, you'll find very high firearm ownership in the crowd you are looking at joining.  These will be the folks with political and legal connections that have no problem getting CCW permits.  After all, these are the folks that "deserve" to protect themselves, unlike ordinary people, right?)

Relax.  Enjoy your Second Amendment rights, and best of luck with your job.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 11:52:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Well Mr WIGGENS is right PLEASE DONT SQUESE the Charmin.   All of your background checks will work for you ,all your nick names( BADSEED,BORN-TO-BE-WILD,HELL-RAISER,) could work against you if they are wanting a team player.

And if they ask you if you have a drinking problem,and your answer is hell no I can drink anything you put in front of me!  That might be considerd a negative also!

Just kidding I know I'm the only one that ever did that and still got the job!

Best of luck.     Bob   [8D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top