Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2002 2:41:24 PM EDT
I went to Costco today and noticed a new sign at the front door.  Something to the effect of "No Firearms Allowed on Premises".  Is this something new they're doing everywhere?  I'm going to send them an email and see if they respond.

On a related note, does Sam's Club have any similar policies anywhere?
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Bitch loud, bitch often.  They'll remove it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank god in Texas such foolish signs can be ignored.

[soapbox]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#4]
posted by rangemasterd
Thank god in Texas such foolish signs can be ignored.
View Quote
No kidding. During the winter I just throw on my shoulder holster with either the HK or HS and go check things out in K-Mart regularly. I never buy anything, I just enjoy walking around in their store fully armed. It makes me feel kind of warm and tingly inside. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's what I sent them.  I left contact information and asked specific questions, so hopefully they'll respond.  Otherwise, they have a policy about refunding membership fees if you're not satisfied.  Having a problem with people who are in full compliance with all applicable laws is a pretty good reason to be unsatisfied. [:)]

On my most recent trip to the North Phoenix Costco warehouse, I noticed a new sign to the effect of "No Firearms Allowed on Premises".  This would suggest to me that concealed weapon permit holders are no longer welcome in your stores.  The only reason for posting such a sign is to give a basis for charging otherwise law abiding citizens with trespassing when they have violated no other laws.  Was there a specific incident or reason for this new policy?  Is this being instituted in all of your stores?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Please post if you get any replies from them. I would be very interested in hearing what they have to say. I will look for the sign next time I go shopping there.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is another thread from a few months ago.

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=108437[/url]

Originally posted by "DaveT"

Here's the official Costco responce to my e-mail:

Dear David, thank you for emailing Costco.com .

We apologize for any inconvenience this policy might have caused you,
however, this policy is administered at all our warehouses.

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to
the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of
qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the
right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce
membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are
obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card,
our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges
and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought
into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law
enforcement officers. In light of recent incidents, and for the
protection of all our members and employees, we feel that is a
reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping
experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our
members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a
new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual
city/county/state/country where we do business.

The shopping experience is not enhanced by bringing a firearm into our
warehouse. We are sorry that the message you are hearing is that "we
don't want you." It is the firearms that we exclude in the warehouses,
not the carriers.

I have forwarded your message to our Executive Offices so they are aware
of your concerns.

Sincerely,

Mark Cawsey
Ecommerce Member Service Manager

My responce to this sanctimonious crap was to chop up our cards and send them to Costco requesting a refund of our remaining membership dues. Anyone want to bet on our getting the refund?

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#8]
That's interesting. Here in Tejas we don't have to worry about sign like that unless they quote the specific code/whatever. Sure they can kick you out of their store (or at least try) but they can't arrest you or give you a ticket or anything with any real consequence.

I was leaving Best Buy last winter and the guy at the door (who thinks he has to mark every receipt) grabs at my jacket as I'm leaving. Well he pulls it off my shoulder and exposed my holsted HK. I reached across his arm and pulled my jacket back on my shoulder as he stood there looking with eyes WIDE open, and I said, "You think I stole that?" He just said, "No sir." I walked on out the door left. The funny thing was that he forgot all about marking my receipt. I've seen him in there a couple of times since and he won't even look at me any more. Hmmm...
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#9]
First off I think this has more to do with lawyers covering the companies a** than with being anti-gun. If a nut job walks in shoots the place up they think it will protect them if they can say "it is against the law to carry in our store we did everything we could by putting that sign up so we arn't liable for the 27 people he killed including the 4 guys who carry everywhere except our store who could have stopped it"

On the issue of Best Buy I have specific permission in writing from the GM of my local store saying its fine by him if I carry. Not that it doesn't stop the JBTs on the Cary PD from stopping and trying to arrest me in the store.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Jeez, they are advertising to thieves that their customers are unarmed. Let's see...rob a store/bank or rob some unarmed slob leaving a store with a cart full of expensive stuff. Hell, maybe robbing that store would be just as easy...sheesh. [:\]

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#11]
[Imbroglio mode]Countless lives have been saved by this policy. I say good for them! Who knows how many crazed killers were stopped in their tracks by these signs.[/Imbroglio mode]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're under CCW, and you're doing it properly, who's gonna know ??  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you're under CCW, and you're doing it properly, who's gonna know ??  [:D]
View Quote

I am.

I'm not actually concerned with being charged with trespassing for shopping there.  However, if they don't want my kind around, they can do without my money.  Would you do business with a company who had a sign saying "no coloreds"?  Wrong is wrong.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Their response:

Mike, thank you for your email. This is a policy at all of our locations. I have forwarded your comments to our executives so they are aware of your concerns.
View Quote

As expected, they don't care.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#15]
A Wallmart in AZ had the same policy but was challenged in court by a person who was thrown out for legally carrying a gun into the store and won. The court ruled per AZ law that if there was not a place for the store to safely hold the firearms for customers that it could not restrict them from bringing a legally possessed and legally carried firearm into their store. Wallmart was unwilling to take possession of the gun and be responsible for it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Funny - their stance does not stop them from selling gun safes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Bart said "quijibo on the loose!!!!!!"

Funny!!!

OPERATOR!!!  GET ME THE # FOR 911!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I haven't seen those signs at costco's here in Oregon. Of course, I haven't seen those signs ANYWARE in Oregon. . . .  But, according to state law, if you have your CCW, they can post any sign they want and it doesn't matter, you can still carry.

Although, they also can ask you to leave for any reason, and if you don't it's trespassing (non-criminal).

I've seen no-gun signs at the metal detectors at the jails and stuff. . . . Heck, I don't know about other places, but you can even carry intoa  bank here.

You are right though, I would not shop at an place that had those signs. And I don't shop at Costco, I just used to go there for lucnh sometimes.

-Justin

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I haven't seen any signs up at the local Costco.  Where did they put the sign?  Is it very visible or obscure?  Small or big?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I have seen the same signs in Tucson. But i was not carrying when is saw them. However when I am carrying, i cant seem to locate them. I think they get obscured by a dark cloud of smoke, or I forget how to read, something like that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I found the "no firearms" sign at the Arrowhead Costco on the swinging gate INSIDE the doors that allows employees to get from the out door to the in door without going all the way around. Usually you cant see it because the person checking for cards is in the way.

It is therefore a illegal sign. You have to see it BEFORE you enter their premisis. Of course THEY also have to be able to see your gun before they can raise a stink.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I haven't seen those signs at costco's here in Oregon. Of course, I haven't seen those signs ANYWARE in Oregon. . . .  But, according to state law, if you have your CCW, they can post any sign they want and it doesn't matter, you can still carry.

Although, they also can ask you to leave for any reason, and if you don't it's trespassing (non-criminal).

I've seen no-gun signs at the metal detectors at the jails and stuff. . . . Heck, I don't know about other places, but you can even carry intoa  bank here.

You are right though, I would not shop at an place that had those signs. And I don't shop at Costco, I just used to go there for lucnh sometimes.

-Justin

View Quote

Yes, the rule states in a CCW active state, that unless a sign is posted at door, its all legal.

I've seen alot of this state and travel during work around the portland area.
I've never seen a sign except at the expected places.

So far I am happy with my rights as far as firearms concerned in Oregon when compaired to some states.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"You think I stole that?" He just said, "No sir."
View Quote

LMAO!
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#24]
The North Phoenix Costco has the sign posted on the brick wall by the entrance.  This was put up within the last couple weeks I'd say.  It's a pretty small sign, maybe 12"x9".  Though, they did say that it's their policy in all their warehouses, posted or not.  I'm not worried about getting nailed for it, but if they want to have stupid policies, they can have them without my business.

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#25]
[b]Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers.[/b]

Note that Costco didn't cite anything unique or special about its stores that warrants a prohibition against citizens carrying firearms in its stores. My guess is that the corporate management simply doesn't like citizens carrying guns in their stores (and on a philosophical level, probably not in anyone else's stores, either).

[b]Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions.[/b]

Translation: It's our rules, so if you don't like it, get out.

[b]The shopping experience is not enhanced by bringing a firearm into our warehouse.[/b]

Neither is being raped in the parking lot.

This whole message reeks of smug arrogance. I sure as hell won't be paying for the privilege of becoming a member.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#26]
So far I am happy with my rights as far as firearms concerned in Oregon when compaired to some states.
View Quote

Have fun buying a rifle and getting thumb printed!!! :-/

ok, i'm way late for work..
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
First off I think this has more to do with lawyers covering the companies a** than with being anti-gun. If a nut job walks in shoots the place up they think it will protect them if they can say "it is against the law to carry in our store we did everything we could by putting that sign up so we arn't liable for the 27 people he killed including the 4 guys who carry everywhere except our store who could have stopped it"
View Quote
How is that gonna cover their ass when they get sued by the family of one of those killed because they took away his means of self defense while not providing armed security?

Do idiots like these people really think that a sign is going to stop someone intent on shooting the place up?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I sent them this e-mail on their website:
I had been considering joining your organization until I read about a policy that you have initiated and read your response to one members e-mail.  It was in response to the member questioning your 'no firearms policy'.  It is my belief that your response was just politically correct drivel.

Part of your response:
"Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought
into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law
enforcement officers."

CCW license holders go through stringent background checks and training.  Someone who has decided to shoot up one of your warehouses is not going to be deterred by your policy or your signs.  When are people like you going to realize that?  All you are doing is making your customers defenseless victims in the aforementioned situation.  Maybe when the family of a CCW holder who had to leave his pistol in his car due to your policy and was killed in your warehouse by a nutcase because he was disarmed by this same policy, you and other retail companies will wake up to this fact.  The people your signs are aimed at are not the problem.

Another part of your response:
"In light of recent incidents, and for the
protection of all our members and employees, we feel that is a
reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping
experience and safe workplace. "

Just exactly when and what were these incidents?  I have heard of no such incidents.  Did you just make this up?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#29]
hmmmm let's see....

Costco says No firearms.

Outdoor World/Bass Pro Check your firearms.

Well, I checked my weapon before I holstered it, I think it's fine...think I'll go shopping now...

I love Texas..has to have that 30.06 penal code designation to matter....
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#30]
The original Owner/CEO of the Price Club, which became PriceCostCo, now CostCo, A gentleman by the name oF Price, was one of the largest donors to the Proposition 15 campaign in California in 1982.  Very, very anti-gun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 12:45:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Doesn't anyone remember the roots of Costco? It orginally started as Price Club in San Diego east of La Jolla and right off I-5. The partners squabled and one split off and start Costco and subsequently purchased Price Club when the others want to enjoy their wealth. La Jolla is just like the bay area... choked full of liberals.

BTW, California doesn't recognize Costco as being a true membership but a public store. Thus, all laws regarding public access and other stuff applies. Back in the old days, Gemco challenged this and lost in court. So, for other states w/CCW's, the letter from Costco may not be applicable.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#35]
In Arizona, the worst thing that can happen is they have to ask you to leave first, and you have to refuse before the cops can cite you.

If it get's really nasty, we can always to to Costco what we did to Blockbuster.

Thousands of cut up Costco cards flowing into their corporate HQ will get their attention.

That said, No such sign seen at the Prescott Costco, but I'll be looking.  

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#36]
This was brought up in a [url=www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104939]thread on TFL.[/url]

Someone also [url=www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107572]followed up[/url].
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Sam's membership is $35.00
Costco membership is $45.00
I have gone through the local costco and was not impressed.  Prices seem to be a bit higher than sams.  Maybe sams will start carrying ammo   [:)]

I have seen the "no Guns Policy" on the doors of several businesses and I don't shop there.  Many times if you point out that criminals won't honor those signs, they give you a blank stare.  Kind of like deer in the headlights.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Has anyone considered the fact that notice by posting is sometimes ineffective?  If actually PROSECUTED for carrying on premises, just remember that ignorance is the best policy.  One day, when the SHTF, you will have the capacity to do something to protect yourself or your family.  Fuck the arbitrary policies.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sam's membership is $35.00
Costco membership is $45.00
I have gone through the local costco and was not impressed.  Prices seem to be a bit higher than sams.  Maybe sams will start carrying ammo   [:)]
View Quote

My wife bought me a modern replica of a blackpower revolver off the shelf at Sam's Club... [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top