Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2002 10:18:35 PM EDT
Agaain, from SacBee [url]http://sacbee.com/content/news/story/3186899p-4235622c.html[/url]

[b]

x - close Recent Stories By Matt Barrows

CHP unveils stealth patrol cars
By Matt Barrows -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 3:23 p.m. PDT Wednesday, June 12, 2002
The California Highway Patrol rolled out its latest weapon in big rig enforcement Wednesday - a fleet of white Camaros designed to blend into highway traffic.

Seventy Camaros - they cost $25,000 each and can reach 160 mph - will be deployed throughout the state, six of them in the Sacramento area.

Though they caused a stir among truckers when taken for a spin on Interstate 5 Wednesday, CHP officials said the cars are designed to keep a low profile.

Bret Bensen, the CHP’s shop operations manager in West Sacramento, said the fleet is being equipped with specially made light bars that stand only 2 1/2 inches above the roof and look a lot like ski racks from a distance.

“You will not be able to pick up the silhouette of this car,” Bensen said. “I was driving one to headquarters the other day and had cars passing me at 80 mph. They wouldn’t even slow down.”

The Camaros have “Highway Patrol” and the CHP insignia painted on the door, but the light bar - which uses light emitting diodes instead of incandescent bulbs - disappears from sight at 375 feet.
[/b]

Doesn't sound to stealthy to me.  And why do they need 160mph cars to stop truckers??

Oh well, at least they are spending my tax $$$ wisely..........not!!

SGtar15
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I just don't get the why of "why do they need a vehicle that can do 160mph??"?
Any bets on how many get wrecked in the first year??
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 3:55:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Nah, but I will take bets on how many end up in the front yard on blocks within 5 years...

the_reject
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Sneaky bastages!
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:05:06 AM EDT
[#4]

They already have these units in San Antonio for quite some time now. These units are tasked to patrol the streets against aggressive drivers. They are very sleek, dark-tinted and the markings can only be seen at a certain angle.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:57:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know, when we were on the santa monica freeway over 10 years ago, we were passed by lots of Porsche's and one countach... maybe that is why. Also lots and lots of Mercedies and BMW's...

Ben
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:01:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The California Highway Patrol rolled out its latest weapon in [b]big rig enforcement[/b] Wednesday - a fleet of white Camaros designed to blend into highway traffic.

SGtar15
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#7]
The Illinois State Police have been doing this for several years.  In addition to Mustangs and Camaros, they've recently added Dodge Intrepids and Pontiac Grand Prixs.  All of varying colors, to keep us guessing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Though they caused a stir among truckers when taken for a spin on Interstate 5 Wednesday, CHP officials said the cars are designed to keep a low profile.
View Quote

What does that mean??  "Caused a stir among trucers" - it doesn't really say they gave the truckers tickets.  "When taken for a spin" - meaning, what, they went out and drove like nuts and got away with it, probably!  When the truckers went to radio the cops about these "crazy maniacs in Camaros" then they noticed CHP written on the side.  DOH!  :) What do you think?  

P.S. Will the cops who drive the Camaros be required to grow mullets?
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#9]
The CHP have already being using the 5L Mustangs for 15 years. Must be the new light bar thay are so proud off. Lets see 70 x 25,000=1,750,000. That is a lot of tickets they have to write to get their money back
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#10]
The speed limit is just a government revenue generating scam under the guise of safety anyway.

Here we have purple camaros that patrol the local bypass. Guess where part of the money comes from? The Feds under a "Safety Campaign" pay for part of each car.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#11]
It should be illegal for cops to have use unmarked or "stealth" cars for traffic violations. They can get plenty of idiots with fully marked regular cars. These "stealth" cars are a fucking waste of money.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#12]
[b]Bret Bensen, the CHP’s shop operations manager in West Sacramento, said the fleet is being equipped with specially made light bars that stand only 2 1/2 inches above the roof and look a lot like ski racks from a distance.

The Camaros have “Highway Patrol” and the CHP insignia painted on the door, but the light bar - which uses light emitting diodes instead of incandescent bulbs - disappears from sight at 375 feet.[/b]

Oriignally posted by: Philadelphia_GunMan

It should be illegal for cops to have use unmarked or "stealth" cars for traffic violations. They can get plenty of idiots with fully marked regular cars. These "stealth" cars are a fucking waste of money.
View Quote

So cars with LED lightbars and door decals got that comment from you?? Did you read the article?

The Camaro's allegedly get about 4 mpg better than Crown Vics, and cost $2100 more. So which vehicle do you think is cheaper to purchase, and operate?

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
[b]Bret Bensen, the CHP’s shop operations manager in West Sacramento, said the fleet is being equipped with specially made light bars that stand only 2 1/2 inches above the roof and look a lot like ski racks from a distance.

The Camaros have “Highway Patrol?and the CHP insignia painted on the door, but the light bar - which uses light emitting diodes instead of incandescent bulbs - disappears from sight at 375 feet.[/b]

Oriignally posted by: Philadelphia_GunMan

View Quote

So cars with LED lightbars and door decals got that comment from you?? Did you read the article?

The Camaro's allegedly get about 4 mpg better than Crown Vics, and cost $2100 more. So which vehicle do you think is cheaper to purchase, and operate?

View Quote

Yes I read the article. It has been my opinion for years that cops should not be allowed to use unmarked or "stealth" cars for regular traffic stops. Unmarked cars should be for undercover duty and that is it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It should be illegal for cops to have use unmarked or "stealth" cars for traffic violations.
View Quote

no sheet there, we all remember my 103 mph ticket. BTW, my court date was yesterday, i got it reduced to a normal ticket. yeeehaaaa
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#15]
The CHP had a drive-off between the Camero and the Mustang back in the early 80's.
The Mustang won due to lower cost, having a "real" back seat and having a hight top end speed.
The reality is that the Mustangs made (and still make) piss-poor intercept and pursuit cars. What is the most crashed car in the CHP fleet (based on percentages)?  The Mustang.  What car in the CHP fleet has caused the most injuries and deaths to CHP officers?  The Mustang.
I have a friend who is a CHP officer, he patrols Hwy 126. He won't take a Mustang patrol car on that road at all.

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

they are marked. lightbar on top. doors painted with the department emblem. the lightbar is just smaller. sounds like a V8 SS with street racer mods. they should have gotton various colors to make them even harder to spot. there are a pair of camaros in my county when they were left white and unmarked noone stopped for them because any yoyo could get a wigwag light kits and some blue/red flashing lights. and dress up their car with them. they painted them the normal sliver of the deparment and painted the emblem on the doors. but just dont try to run. there isnt any 6 square inch area left in those engine bays.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#17]
This isn't really new, is it?

The CHP has been using unmarked cars for years. No light bar, tinted rear window with the lights mounted inside the car so you can only see them when they are on. I've seen solid white, blue, brown, and green CHP vehicles doing speed enforcement for at least 8 years. I think they use the Chevy Caprice, but it could be the Crown Vic. I don't remember. No external signs to identify the car as CHP. None at all. And now they are using radar as well.

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just don't get the why of "why do they need a vehicle that can do 160mph??"?
Any bets on how many get wrecked in the first year??
View Quote
Sounds like an assault vehicle to me. Like AR's,AK's,etc. this serves no legit purpose in society( you can't duck hunt with it) Gee, sounds like a good arguement for a BAN.

Kill a Kommie for Christ
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#19]
ISP uses a red Camaro and a blue Mustang around Springfield, but theirs are the base-models with V6's.  The issue a lot of people had with them was that they've often been accused of egging people on to impromptu highway races--the Slowmaro pulls up on a guy in a Mustang, or the Mustang pulls up on a Camaro and plays cat and mouse.  If you speed up, you're busted.

More common are the wolf packs.  One car on an overpass (recently they've started dropping off an officer who hunkers down with the gun and a radio so you can't see the car outline on the overpass) and about 8-10 on the highway just beyond it.  They just pull out, pull over, write ticket, go back and immediately do it all over again.  They're generating a fortune in revenue.

Several years ago, the ISP even rigged up a semi truck as a radar car.  They painted the name of the director on the side--something like "Terry Gainer Express Shipping" or the like.  They claimed they only used it against truckers, but I imagine a lot of truckers were pissed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top