Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2011 1:13:30 PM EDT
This puts the AR-15 square in the category of a weapon in common usage.  If a court has any shred of intellectual honesty, assault weapon bans will be going down across the country.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Forgive me, did I see you put intellect and court/law in the same sentence?  That would imply logic, which does not exist with law makers and firearms.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Ahhhhh....no.

Nice thought, but about as likely as that Kate Beckinsale blowjob I'm counting on.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I can also pick up whores at the local Wal-Mart....does that mean they will be legalized also?

-PC-
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#6]
If the court had any intellectual honesty, whether or not something was in common use would be irrelevant.

Last I checked, it was "arms."  Not "commonly used arms."
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can also pick up whores at the local Wal-Mart....does that mean they will be legalized also?

-PC-

Does WalMart stick barcodes to their asses?
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ahhhhh....no.

Nice thought, but about as likely as that Kate Beckinsale blowjob I'm counting on.

Get in line bub.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-PC-

They usually just scan their tramp stamp...lol

-Private Contractor-
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

-PC-

do you even know what we are talking about in this thread?
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-PC-

More importantly, can you return tehm for a refund or store credit if not satisfied?
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]
The Wal-Mart litmus test.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-PC-

No barcodes...but they do insert RFID tags.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-PC-

do you even know what we are talking about in this thread?

Yes, I have kept up with the reports of AR's in some states. I think it is good overall for the AR community, however, Wal-Mart is a business out to make money. ARs sale, very good, and having them available at Wal-Mart may increase the popularity to a point where they may no longer be seen as an assault rifle, but as a general purpose rifle. I am just saying that Wal-Mart has carried other items that have been banned as well (most by the FDA). Whether they are available at a Wal-Mart will not matter to idiots in political positions of power. That is all I meant....I guess I should have spelled it out better.

-PC-

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#15]
How long will it be before BATFE discovers that WalMart is selling rifles that Eric Hholder wants to ship to Mexico?
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ahhhhh....no.

Get in line bub.

She is giving mine right now.  OP is right!!!  
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm with Neutral Observer.  The more ARs we sell, the more of them we actually shoot in 3 gun matches and the more of them take down deer in farmer's fields across the country this fall, the more acceptance the black rifle gets.  The old gun-grabber's mantra "these are the weapon of choice for gangsters and criminals, you don't have to aim you just spray and fire" holds less and less water with the public at large, even those who don't shoot or know much about guns.  We forget that when the federal AWB was passed in 1994 the vast majority of the country thought it had something to do with banning machineguns, or weapons only used by violent felons.  

Every AR being used responsibly in civilian hands now shows what a lie that was.

Especially since  a few manufacturers are marketing smaller capacity magazines and a host of available calibers to fit every need. I have been present in many gang task force arrests, but have yet to see an AR being used by a gang banger....I am sure it has happened, but it is not the norm. I am glad to see that the prices at Wal Mart are not Dirt Cheap (no pun intended to CTD). I feel as long as the prices remain in the realm of where they are at, most will not find their way into the average criminals hand. Perhaps I need to re-evaluate my thoughts as for as Wal Mart carrying them. I do see that a lot of benefit could come to the community, with the AR being more attainable for responsible citizens. I still do not think, however, that they will ever be ruled out of the "Assault weapons" category, but as the rest of you, I remain hopeful.

_Private Contractor_
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For those of you who think the commonality of a firearm doesn't matter to the courts, this is the end of page 52 and the beginning of page 53 of Scalia's majority opinion in the Heller case:

The traditional militia was formed from a pool of men bringing arms “in common use at the time” for lawful purposes like self-defense. “In the colonial and revolutionary war era, [small-arms] weapons used by militiamen and weapons used in defense of person and home were one and the same.” State v. Kessler, 289 Ore. 359, 368, 614 P. 2d 94, 98 (1980) (citing G. Neumann, Swords and Blades of the American Revolution 6–15, 252–254 (1973)). Indeed, that is precisely the way in which the Second Amendment’s operative clause furthers the purpose announced in its preface. We therefore read Miller to say only that the Second Amendment does not protect those weapons not typically possessed by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes, such as short-barreled shotguns.That accords with the historical understanding of the scope of the right, see Part III, infra.25

Bold added by me.  There is also more text about this on page 55.

CTD EDIT (yeah yeah, not in red, so what):  Private Contractor, if you're familiar with crime guns than you know how many of them are stolen.  Keeping guns expensive isn't a solution to crime any more than keeping their stocks from folding is.  People with lower incomes have the same 2nd amendment rights as the rest of us and the shooting sports shouldn't be confined to the upper classes.  Leave that theory to the arrogant Euro trash.

Good post ... thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For those of you who think the commonality of a firearm doesn't matter to the courts, this is the end of page 52 and the beginning of page 53 of Scalia's majority opinion in the Heller case:

The traditional militia was formed from a pool of men bringing arms “in common use at the time” for lawful purposes like self-defense. “In the colonial and revolutionary war era, [small-arms] weapons used by militiamen and weapons used in defense of person and home were one and the same.” State v. Kessler, 289 Ore. 359, 368, 614 P. 2d 94, 98 (1980) (citing G. Neumann, Swords and Blades of the American Revolution 6–15, 252–254 (1973)). Indeed, that is precisely the way in which the Second Amendment’s operative clause furthers the purpose announced in its preface. We therefore read Miller to say only that the Second Amendment does not protect those weapons not typically possessed by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes, such as short-barreled shotguns.That accords with the historical understanding of the scope of the right, see Part III, infra.25

CTD EDIT (yeah yeah, not in red, so what):  Private Contractor, if you're familiar with crime guns than you know how many of them are stolen.  Keeping guns expensive isn't a solution to crime any more than keeping their stocks from folding is.  People with lower incomes have the same 2nd amendment rights as the rest of us and the shooting sports shouldn't be confined to the upper classes.  Leave that theory to the arrogant Euro trash.

Well again, we do have an agreeable outcome.....I believe that everyone should also have the 2nd Right, equally as the rich (which I am not). I wish that people would take their money to gun shops or stores, such as your own, where they receive knowledgeable support, unlike Wal-Mart (who is only out for the $$) But the ability to procure firearms takes precedent over worrying about who profits over them. I know that CTD has gone quite a ways to insure that everyone can afford their birth Rights in this country. I admit I can be a bit pretentious, and elitist at times....having people willing to serve all classes of people is vital to the cause. I must say I purchased a Kimber from you a couple of years back, and a HK P7 recently, and I must say that I am impressed with not only your selection, prices, but the knowledge I received from the salesman as well. Given your post in this forum, it is nice to see that some people are out their for more than just the money, and I extend a thank you for that. Keep up the good work.

-Private Contractor-

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The traditional militia was formed from a pool of men bringing arms "in common use at the time” for lawful purposes like self-defense. "In the colonial and revolutionary war era, [small-arms] weapons used by militiamen and weapons used in defense of person and home were one and the same.” State v. Kessler, 289 Ore. 359, 368, 614 P. 2d 94, 98 (1980) (citing G. Neumann, Swords and Blades of the American Revolution 6–15, 252–254 (1973)). Indeed, that is precisely the way in which the Second Amendment’s operative clause furthers the purpose announced in its preface. We therefore read Miller to say only that the Second Amendment does not protect those weapons not typically possessed by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes, such as short-barreled shotguns.That accords with the historical understanding of the scope of the right, see Part III, infra.25

Of course, SBS's are not in common use because they've been banned for so long(discounting NFA)

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Found one in the Prescott, AZ WM this morning. It was a pleasant shock to see one sitting in the display carousel next to a Rem. 700 and other traditional sporting rifles.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-PC-

More importantly, can you return tehm for a refund or store credit if not satisfied?

Only the unused portion.

OP: Judges and legislators do what they want. Occasionally they have the fig leaf of precedent to cover their rulings.
ETA
I've seen a lot of old coach guns and blunderbusses and most if not all had barrels less than 18". There were a lot of short barreled rifles and shotguns in common usage prior to the 1934 act.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ahhhhh....no.

You too!?!?
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-PC-

Nope, you just swipe your credit card down the crack of their ass...$5 a ride!
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-PC-

No barcodes...but they do insert RFID tags.

Remove the tag before use.  It will chafe your tender parts.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top