Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2001 2:12:07 PM EDT
I have been reloading pistol for over 10 years,but rifle is new to me.I bought a pre ban AR 15 with a 1/9.Its fine with 55 gr.@ 100,any further than that,no good.So I have been shooting 69 gr.My problem with reloading is when I lube,re-size,and deprime,they are very inconsistant.I have a shell checker,most good,some too short,and some too long.I am using RCBS press,Hornady dies,every thing is locked down and tight,shells are all the same brand,batch,and once fired.When I send my brass over to a friends house to size them,and trim on hid dillion,they come out perfect.It just takes about a month to get them back.
 Do I go back to factory,spend a small fortune.
or can I rely on some one to give me a streight answer...HELP
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#3]
it takes so long for him to get around to do it.
As far as the length goes,when I check the brass with the checker,some are short,and go below the "no go".I can trim all I want,but that doesn't help with the shoulder location.I dont know,I hope you get my question
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you lube the inside of your case necks?  Have you checked your expander ball for smoothness?  If you are changing your shoulder or the slope the expander ball/neck friction is most likely the culprit.  I have a Hornady die, had to get them to send me another expander ball.  The hard chrome that it was plated with was comming off, it was a crappy finnish.  The replacement was perfect.  I would suggest LEE sizing wax for the inside of your necks.  Check your expander ball.
Also, consistent case length is great, essential with match quality [b]or[/b] crimped cartridges.  But for most loads without a crimp, it does not matter much.  Keep it between trim to length and max, they do just fine.
Cases that are too long are dangerous, can result in high pressures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top