Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2002 12:26:10 PM EDT
"Postal" matches are shooting matches where the results are mailed in fron the various competitors, all shooting in different locations.

ANyone wanna do a psotal match?

We would need to determine the # of competitors, rifle / ammo used, course / distance of fire, etc.

Those who can could post pics of their targets here. (or just post your score on the honor system)

I have a 25 yd range at my house, that works real well for .22 rimfire.

Any takers????

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds good to me.  Just try to keep the course of fire simple for those of us who don't have a place to shoot 400 yard targets while doing backflips through concertina wire, OK? [;)]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a lot of work, would one of you guys set up my targets(outside my bedroom window preferably) and take care of the postage. I'll do the rest.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't think we'd all have to use .22 rimfires, or even all the same caliber.

Just a decent gun in the caliber of your choice.

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sounds like a lot of work, would one of you guys set up my targets(outside my bedroom window preferably) and take care of the postage. I'll do the rest.

Thanks
View Quote

I can't stop laughing. Jsut tickled my funny bone real good....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wouldn't think we'd all have to use .22 rimfires, or even all the same caliber.

Just a decent gun in the caliber of your choice.

View Quote

Ummmm, yeah.  a .50 BMG at 25 yards is gonna make a nice, ompetitive, hole compared to those Ruger 10/22s...  [:D]

Sounds like a fun idea.   I like the idea of having someone set up my targets, and handle the posting as well.  GUNSNOB rules!

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Possible rulz:

Any gun, at 25 yards.

Iron sights.

Offhand (standing)  [u]OR[/u] prone (laying down)

Ammo of your choice, match, handloads, commercial, crap ammo, or worse, Wolf ammo  [:D]

They make 25 yard targets, five bulls to a page. If you can't find them in your area, I could send you one. Usually two shots are fired per bull, making each page good for 10 shots. A 40 round match would require 4 pages.

Unlimited time, slow fire.

Results posted here, winner is punished by being modeator for a day. [:D] j/k, who would WANT that job???

Anything else I haven't thought of????
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How many rounds?
View Quote

Could be 20, 30 or 40.

Whatever most people would want.

Match would be announced on a Wednesday, to be held over the weekend, results due by following Tuesday.

If we want, $$$$ could be contributed by competitors, and a trophy awarded at the end of the "season" for high man (whatever the "season" is can be decided later)

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been just one cigerette away from going postal for a very, very long time now.

One more Damn Medical form may just put me over the edge............

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm game, 10/22 at 25 yds, iron sights.

Let me know how many rounds.

I'll post pics.

WL
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Let's keep it simple:

1) Offhand only.  Many ranges don't allow prone shooting so some competitors would have a major disadvantage there.

2) Make the target something that everyone can get with a minimum of fuss.  E.g., a sheet of typing paper (8.5 x 11") with a business card (2 x 3.5") taped, glued or stapled in the center.  Shots touching the card are worth 5 points; all other shots touching the paper are worth 3 points.  Shoot four strings of five rounds each (slow fire) for a possible total of 100 points.

3) No trophies -- bragging rights only.  Since a lot of folks here could shoot this match clean, let the "winner" be the guy (or gal) who does it the hardest way.  E.g., you shoot a 100 with an NAA Mini-Revolver and you're a serious stud. [:D]

4) Entrants only have to post their total score and the firearm and ammo used.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Ammoman has downloadable targets on his web site, if we pick one of them everyone will be shooting the same thing.....
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Would anyone prefer handgun???

I stink rotten with handguns, but if that's what you want.....

[:D]

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I was going to suggest downloadable/printable targets, also.
Sgtar15, medical forms could be good targets. Don't know if it would help you stop smoking, but it couldn't hurt.[:)]

I like the idea of .22 rimfire. I haven't done much shooting with one in forever. My only rimfire handgun is a Hi-Standard Sentinel 9 shot. Old revolver, but still shoots pretty well.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm game with ar-15 at 100 yards or 1911 at 25 yards. keep me informed.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Might be interesting to set up 'net match' (sounds better than postal) forums for centerfire/rimfire handgun/rifle targets to be posted (as if the mods here don't have enough to do... hehehe).
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Let's do simple to start with.

.22 rimfire (handgun or rifle, I'm in for either) at 25 yards with downloadable targets.

I can take digital pics but I'm too handicapped to post 'em. [whacko]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#23]
and here i thought you mean this [url]www.gopostal.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Ya, I'd be game.

25 yard would probably work great for just about everybody. I think rifle would be the funnest, and .22 sound like a good way to go as well. Hell everybody has a .22 right? Would especially be great for a first run.

Hell, even shooting at 25 yards with an AR15 with iron sites would be fun with those Army qualification targets like Fred (from shotgun news) sells.

Anyway, lets get the groundwork layed and do it for sure.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Dangit! Why did'nt you come up with this last week G-man?? I had a real good "postal" session too! My ears are still ringin'....did somebody say something?

[b]b[lue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Here is a sample of possible targets I have created. They are available as Word documents. MOST of you should be getting this pic by e-mail.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid23/pe3478a07e860f8af731c18004fa52b48/fda2f1db.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:40:23 AM EDT
[#28]
btt
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:45:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many rounds?
View Quote

Could be 20, 30 or 40.

Whatever most people would want.

Match would be announced on a Wednesday, to be held over the weekend, results due by following Tuesday.

If we want, $$$$ could be contributed by competitors, and a trophy awarded at the end of the "season" for high man (whatever the "season" is can be decided later)

View Quote

We Canadians would need more time to get our targets in......
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:49:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

We Canadians would need more time to get our targets in......
View Quote

We Americans would LOVE to accomodate you Canadians (and any other slow moving Americans)

This was merely a sugestion, intended to gather responses like yours to help make this possbile, and enjoyable, for everyone.

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:52:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I think that the solution is that the Postmark must be by say the Tuesday after the weekend in question.  Then you could set a deadline for slower moving mail.

Oh BTW .22 at 25 yards sounds good to me.  I would also like it to be prone so my kids can participate as well.

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:54:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think that the solution is that the Postmark must be by say the Tuesday after the weekend in question.  Then you could set a deadline for slower moving mail.

Oh BTW .22 at 25 yards sounds good to me.  I would also like it to be prone so my kids can participate as well.

View Quote

Actually, i had envisioned just scoring your own targets on teh honor system and posting scores (or pics) on the internet.

But you are right - traditional matches mail in the targets for official scoring.

If everyone wants to do that, cool. But I thought just to keep it simple by psoting scores / pics here.

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:59:43 AM EDT
[#33]
But then again G-man this is the modern age...so a post your pic postal match does  make sense.  Specially when you consider that this is a web based contest.

I think that everyone can take a target to the local Kinkos to be scanned for a few bucks at the worst.  Not to mention just imagine the reaction you could spark taking your freshly killed target to the artsyfartsy types that always seem to work there.  I can see them now putting on rubber gloves to handle the carcass.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:01:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think that everyone can take a target to the local Kinkos to be scanned for a few bucks at the worst.  Not to mention just imagine the reaction you could spark taking your freshly killed target to the artsyfartsy types that always seem to work there.  I can see them now putting on rubber gloves to handle the carcass.
View Quote

LOL!!!!

DEFINITELY worth the price of a pic scan!!!!

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:55:18 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm game.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm planning on heading out to the desert this weekend so I'd be up for this (especially if we can just scan our targets).

It seems that there's general consensus on distance (25 yds) but not yet on type of targets, rounds/target, number of targets, allowable firearms, ammo,...
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Would anyone prefer handgun???

I stink rotten with handguns, but if that's what you want.....

View Quote

I'd be in for a handgun match.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:34:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Gman any status update on this wonderful idea??
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:43:04 AM EDT
[#39]
We're waiting on the forum to be created. Goatboy is on top of that.

But before that can be done, GB has to implement some programmatic / server / system changes that affect EVERYONE (best way a computer-illiterate like myself knows how to describe it) Kinda takes precedence over a new single forum.

But don't worry -

I won't let this idea die. And GB et al of the Avilas are supportive of the idea as well.

As soon as everything is ready (hopefully including a centralized location for downloadable targets) there WILL BE a big GD forum announcement.

Patience, grasshopper....

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the update Garandman. I was wondering about it as well. Looking forward to it for sure. Although all of you will then know what a terrible shot I am. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I want to play but my 10/22T doesnt have iron sights.

I have an old Remington 22 bolt action (40+years old) that is looking to see the light of day though!

I'm in!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top