Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2002 11:38:59 AM EDT
Fox is reporting a US MC-130 Talon TurboProp Transport air craft is Down in Afganistan...

In the Gardez area.

Multiple Causualties are reported...

More as we learn it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. This is a little more detailed than the other thread. (It IS hard to get info on a breaking story but so fast, I know.)

Scott

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
[img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020612/i/1023910822.2751520790.jpg[/img]
A U.S. military MC-130 ' Combat Talon' special operations aircraft crashed on takeoff from a base in Afghanistan on June 12, 2002 but there was no immediate word on casualties, a U.S. defense official said. Initial reports indicated the turboprop aircraft was carrying between 10 and 15 people, including the crew, when it went down shortly after taking off from a combat base near Gardez about 80 miles southwest of the capital, Kabul. An MC-130 is seen in this undated file photo. Photo by Usaf/Reuters
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]
If I am not mistaken. All of the Air Force's Talons are out of North West Florida... Eglin AFB perhaps. Close to my neck of the woods...

God bless em all!
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,55141,00.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#6]
so wth us up with all the crashes?

ARE there an increase in accidents?

or does increased sortie rate still put the crash ratio at the "normal" level?

IT seems to me that the past 10+ years there have been a greater number of crashes in the military.  Is that right or is it that the media is more involved and I just hear about more?

if there is "more" crashes, is it due to poor maintenance?  improper or lack of training?  parts failures? or??
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:29:06 AM EDT
[#7]
This is a little more info from a buddy that used to fly them:

confirmed All front enders survived. Unconfirmed both LM's are gone with one
army SF. No word on cause, but (unconfirmed) possible load shift. CP and EWO
walked away. Pilot broke leg and suffered facial burns (sunburn range)
Knew one of the LM's good. Sad day
Later
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top