Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2002 7:37:39 AM EDT
I'm directing this question to you for obvious reasons, but anyone should feel free to respond.

Why do many of the nice scotch, whiskies, etc have "The" before the name?  Eg: The Macallan, The Balvenie, The Glenmorangie, The Glenlivit, etc.

Sounds silly, but I'm just wondering and am to lazy to work it out on my own.

Thanks,
Chimborazo
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Generally use of the definitive article "the" implies original ownership rights to that name once commonly used in the region from which the scotch was produced or it designates the product to be distributed as a strictly unblended product.

For example, in "The Glenlivet" the definitive article is only used on official bottlings from the first company granted rights to operate a distillery on the Livet Glen.

Prior to laws enacted in the early 1800s, there were hundreds of  distilleries operating in that region, all named with various derivatives of  "glenlivet".

In other cases, various stills would produce and distribute some of their products intending them to be used in a blended scotch.

In the case of "The Macallan" the definitive article "the" designates that product was exclusively produced to be a single malt scotch of highest quality, NOT for blending.

Hope this helps. [beer]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, and I edited to the topic title to spell "Macallan" correctly.[:I]

Cheers!
[beer]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Of course, most connoisseurs of single malt scotches realize that "The Glenlivit," e.g., eventually becomes "The Piss," which is rightfully just "A Piss," so the distinction is only fleeting. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top