Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2002 1:02:53 AM EDT
I have a 90 Dodge Ramcharger, 318 auto 4X4.

This is a spare vehicle I picked up on the cheap, I am looking at making it a tow rig.(Car hauler)

Anyway it has a worn out 318 with Throttle Body injection.
I am going to rebuild the engine soon and
mildly building it for towing.

The question I have is should I dump the TB injection system and go with a carb, or try and replace/rebuild the stock set-up, or go bucks down and opt for a Holley Pro-jection multi-port set up?
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:37:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I assume that not being to pass emissions standards isn't a concern in your neck of the woods.

TBI is pretty much TBI, in my limited experience. The Pro-jection system might give you a little more adjustability than the stock TBI, but I'm not sure it would provide much in the way of power or drivability improvements over a properly-functioning stock system — and you might even lose some if you don't also spring for the O2 sensor "closed loop" option (optional at extra cost, IIRC).

Does Mopar Performance offer a "high output" computer for this model? What about an aftermarket chip from Jet, Hypermax, etc.?
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:32:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd keep the EFI, you'll get better fuel mileage, better driveability, and I don't know how cold it gets in your part of MO but EFI's cold start characteristics are a lot nicer as well. TBI is my favorite because of how simple it is. I haven't worked with Dodge's but GM's TBI setup is actually simpler than a carb, if you ask me. If you leave the compression ratio alone and move up one step in cams, it should give you all the power you need. The 318, otherwise known as the "great underappreciated small-block," is a very powerful engine, and the 4 that I've owned have done everything I wanted without working very hard. Your 90 should be even better than my 76-79 models.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:56:34 AM EDT
[#3]
As was stated, keep the TBI or better yet get the Holley system BUT get the O2 sensor!

Injection atomizes the fuel better, it will run on lower octane fuel than you could with a carb.
Not that you would want to but if you happen to get some gasoline that wasn't as good as it should be, it will handle it much better.

As far as a cam and a computer upgrade go, I don't know off hand but you could try here:
[url]http://www.manciniracing.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 3:26:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Keep the TBI.  Go with a mopar crate moter. may be a 360.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 3:34:52 AM EDT
[#5]
How the hell did someone wear out a 318, is what I want to know.

This isn't directly related to your question, but I think it's a good tip:

Go to the dodge dealer and get two cans of Mopar combustion chamber cleaner.  For the first can, follow the directions on the can.  (Run it through the intake at as low an idle as possible.)

For the second can take the spark plugs out, and spray the stuff into all the plug holes.

Reinstall the plugs and kick the motor over just a bit to mix the stuff up.  Let sit for about  20 minutes.

Take the plugs back out and spin the motor over and let it spit all the cleaner and broken-loose carbon all over the engine compartment.

Reinstall the plugs, crank her up (it will be difficult.. you'll want a good battery) and rev her good for a few minutes.  Then drive her hard for a few miles.  If you've done it right, you should have some wonderful smelling black smoke, and you'll also have a much cleaner engine.

This worked wonders in my 97 Grand Cherokee.  Also has the 318, with 76000 miles.

Edited to add, [b]change the oil afterwards.[/b]
Before you change it though, run a quart of tranny fluid through the motor with the old oil.  Letting it idle for 5 minutes or so with it in there is good enough.  Helps clean things out in there and helps freshen up your seals.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:21:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:09:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:19:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Jet chips are worthless.  We did a dyno test at Impalapalooza using jet chips on various vehicles and the hp and torque gain were nill.  Hypertech did show improvements though.  The MSD6A ignition system works great as I had that on my Impala.  Your best bet for power would be to put in a mild cam, a good set of headers, and decent exhaust.  If your going to do all this work you might want to go check and see if dodge has a performance catalog that has some upgraded highperformance motors.  It wont cost much more to just drop in a new one over doing all the work, plus you would have a bad ass engine in it then.  Not sure if Dodge has this like Chevrolet does.
Bill3508  
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree with the 360 crate motor recommendation. Mopar sells their crate motors for about what a "proper" rebuild will cost you, and you will be starting with a nice fresh set of cylinder walls. Modern production engines have very thin cylinder walls, and boring them just makes it worse. And for towing, the extra cubes will be very nice to have.
Also, stick with TBI, maybe go with the pro-jection if you buy a crate motor since the increased displacement will reguire more available flow. Or just get a TBI from a 360.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree with Santyth, BUT do NOT put ATF in your engine!  It is a friction modifier allowing clutches to grab in a transmission and you cannot flush it all out with one oil change.  Small friction particles will remain in your oil even after you change it.  

If you are going to spend the money on a new engine, I would go to a 360.  Also I would not waste more money on a new TB injection setup.  Make the current one work or look for a Mulit-Point EFI setup.  Edlebrock offers them albeit not for the mopar, yet.  If you do not want to spend that much money go with a carb.  Carbs have become so reliable and efficient as of late.  A Edelbrock/Carter or a Daemon carb with an electric choke will start right up and offer good mileage.  It also simplifies a lot of crap in the engine bay, and you can always go back to EFI if you choose. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the best way to clean carbon and other cmobustion chamber deposits is by fogging with water. Remove the air cleaner, have someone hold the RPM around 12-1500, and mist water from a spray bottle directly into the throttle body. The steam will clean carbon like nobody's business.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One of the best way to clean carbon and other cmobustion chamber deposits is by fogging with water. Remove the air cleaner, have someone hold the RPM around 12-1500, and mist water from a spray bottle directly into the throttle body. The steam will clean carbon like nobody's business.
View Quote

Ahhh...  the infamous "Mexican tune-up"...

the_reject
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top