Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2002 12:17:54 AM EDT
I'm thinking of getting out of Calif and moving to Kentucky both to get away from the crazy laws here and to be with my girlfriend who lives there now. She lives in Lawrenceburg, near Lexington. I'd most likely be moving to that area but don't know for sure yet.  I've been back that way a few times over the last year and really like it.  I've got a mom and grandma that I care for and they'd both be going along.  They both have arthritis problems so the humidity is a concern. Does the humidity really get to you there during the summer?  How about the winters, how are they?  I haven't been able to visit during the winter but understand the last couple haven't been bad.  What about places to shoot around there?  Are vehicle registeration costs reasonable?  I've got a couple of flat bed trailers (one is 10' utility type, the other is 16' car hauler) and from what I understand they don't have to be registered there?  Anything else I should know about the area?
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:41:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Any excuse to escape from Kalifornia is a good one.  Generally, its a conservative populace here; both senators and  7 of 8 (?) reps are republican.  50,000+ CCW holders.  Open carry is legal, tho no one does it.  Hot and humid in summer, cold in winter but deep snow only 2-3 times per season.  Call the county clerk and inquire about vehicle tax.  Generally safe, friendly, and not the hick state that the libs on tv pretend, tho there are plenty of hillbillies in E KY.  I used to be one.  No gang bangers, and very few illegals.  Low cost of living.  Horses, bourbon, and hot women (as you know).

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:56:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I was born in Western KY and lived there until I was 18. I am going to school in North Carolina(South New Jersey). I hope to move back to KY when I get my degree. Great place to live. Very conservative. I think people in KY have a big appreciation for freedom.  

KY is the south, only better.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:06:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I have plenty of family in KY and can see it from my window (live in Cincinnati). I lived in Cattlettsburg for a while in Eastern KY. It was "different". Overall, it's a great place.

My father-in-law lives in Sadieville. Land down there can still be had for $1500 an acre. We own 430 acres of completely unspoiled, undeveloped land on a mountain with decent sized creek running through the bottom. It's a beautiful area, although somewhat economically depressed. We plan to build a homestead down there once we tire of the city. Sadieville is only about 45 minutes from downtown Cincinnati and about the same distance from Lexington.

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top