Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2002 5:40:17 PM EDT
I just got through watching Black Hawk Down for the first time.............. AND..........

WHOA!!!  This movie IS action packed!  What a great movie.  This movie kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time i watched it.

However, i felt very sad with all of the trauma going on in that mission.

Why are the "flag" arm patches reversed on all the soldiers arms?
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#2]
As soon as I saw the thread topic, I knew it was about BHD!  Now watch it another 30 times and detail every nuance in your head for when the SHTF one day!  Alright, I'm going to watch it again now!
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got the DVD as a birthday present from my wife.  I plan on watching it for the first time tonight after the baby goes to bed.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope you have a large screen tv and good sound. I do but this was one of the few movies I still had to see in the theater.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll probobly watch it again in a half hour or so.  The damn movie gives me cold chills.....

Action packed drama.......wow!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Happy birthday dsr611!  I just bought it today as well and watched it with my girlfriend.  There were some things she didn't "get" so I'm glad I was there to explain things.  Like for example in the beginning when the tall guy in the chow line was being told to put his weapon on safe and he said "This is my safety" wiggling his finger.  She didn't get it.  Also why Josh Hartnett's character having a problem with the shell casing from the helicopter going down his shirt.  It's funny but I guess non-shooters don't understand that the thing would be red hot after just being fired.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just got through watching Black Hawk Down for the first time.............. AND..........

WHOA!!!  This movie IS action packed!  What a great movie.  This movie kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time i watched it.

However, i felt very sad with all of the trauma going on in that mission.

Why are the "flag" arm patches reversed on all the soldiers arms?
View Quote

If you imagine each man carrying the flag into battle like they did back in the "old days".  Stars first, stripes flapping in the breeze behind it...  

I just rented the movie today and watched it again.  I'm going to wait a few months for the "special edition" copy before buying it.  I got all choked up especially when they dropped Shugart and Gordon into Durant's crash site...
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I now own it too. Best 16.00 I spent all year I think.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Full Metal Jacket 19.00
Black Hawk Down   15.99
We were Soldiers  ??.??

Three "[b]must[/b]" Own of all time
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Full Metal Jacket 19.00
Black Hawk Down   15.99
We were Soldiers  ??.??

View Quote

Ah, add one more to that list... 'Heat'?   That movie had some awesome gunplay in it!
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Same here.  Just watched it for the first time a few hours ago.  (Yes, I have seen Heat more than a few times [;)])  It is a damn good movie. I'll have to watch it again in a few days.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Gunbert,
I agree but it had its very,very slow scenes thats the only reason it didnt make my list (still own it thou [:d])

IMHO these three movies were awsome from start to finish..[;)]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I still dont get the arm patch thing.  Its like a mirror image of the flag.  Stripes first, then stars....  
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I still dont get the arm patch thing.  Its like a mirror image of the flag.  Stripes first, then stars....  
View Quote

That is for the right side of a vehicle.  The stars always go on the top left, EXCEPT on the right side of a moving object where you would view the flag as if it were flying on a flag pole.  On the left shoulder patch the flag would be normal, on the right the stars are at the top right.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Full Metal Jacket 19.00
Black Hawk Down   15.99
We were Soldiers  ??.??

View Quote

Ah, add one more to that list... 'Heat'?   That movie had some awesome gunplay in it!
View Quote

Heat was a $700 VHS tape for me, because I HAD to have an AR15 carbine after I saw that film.

Don't forget Saving Private Ryan... whatever you think of Speilberg and his politics, its a damn good movie and a good tribute to our veterans.  Unfortunately it is also going to be a $500 movie as I now have to buy a CMP Garand...
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
if i recall correctly the stars always lead the stripes. Same as on aircraft. having the patch the other way would signify retreat.

i may be wrong it's been awhile since i was in.

mike
View Quote

The right arm patch is "mirrored". So it faces the same way as the left arm patch. For the reasons stated above....

BTW, I was just shocked by the level of what was happening. Especially when times would pop up o nthe screen, and I would be like: "Gee. It's been less than ninety minutes since things went crappy?"

Scott

P.S. It looked kind of like a "Kill the Skinnies" video game. More and more Skinnies kept popping up, no matter how many they wasted....

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Dsr611,

Happy Birthday dude! Mine's Friday!

My son kinda slipped about BHD, so I think I'll be watching it this weekend too.....

Damn, guess I gotta change my Screen name as I'll be 46!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top