Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2011 4:33:22 AM EDT
I know this piece is a little old, but a lot of Canadians are just getting their Smart meters installed and are finding out their bills are sky rocketing

To keep your bill down you need to most your chores in the middle of the night like laundry and other things that take power

wonder when this is going to come to the states.

Like to hear from any Canadians that have one installed, Canada spent a billion dollars on these.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario/ontario-hydros-smart-meters-give-dumb-results-critics/article1707808/

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 4:51:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I know this piece is a little old, but a lot of Canadians are just getting their Smart meters installed and are finding out their bills are sky rocketing

To keep your bill down you need to most your chores in the middle of the night like laundry and other things that take power

Like to hear from any Canadians that have one installed, Canada spent a billion dollars on these.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario/ontario-hydros-smart-meters-give-dumb-results-critics/article1707808/

Energy prices will necessarily sky-rocket.

~Some ass, pushing for the Smart Grid.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 4:51:28 AM EDT
[#2]
They want to bring that bullshit here. They also want to bring dynamic pricing. Meaning there is no way in hell to know what your paying for KW/h because it's will all be based on demand at that given time. If it's the middle of summer and temps sudden spike to 100 outside and everyone is blasting their A/C at 120% what might have been 10 cents a kw/h time slot is now a 50 cent per KW/h time slot and you'll never now it.

Edit: What they don't tell you in the article is, when everyone does change their usage patterns the power company will adjust rates accordingly. More usage between 9pm to 7am means power will cost more during that time slot. And that is what's bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 4:54:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That's what I've been hearing.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 5:05:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They want to bring that bullshit here. They also want to bring dynamic pricing. Meaning there is no way in hell to know what your paying for KW/h because it's will all be based on demand at that given time. If it's the middle of summer and temps sudden spike to 100 outside and everyone is blasting their A/C at 120% what might have been 10 cents a kw/h time slot is now a 50 cent per KW/h time slot and you'll never now it.

Edit: What they don't tell you in the article is, when everyone does change their usage patterns the power company will adjust rates accordingly. More usage between 9pm to 7am means power will cost more during that time slot. And that is what's bullshit.

Why dont they just fix the fucking power grid ... Oh wait that would make sense
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 5:09:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That shit would suck balls for me... I work nights and sleep during the day, so the AC is running most of the day.

I switched to a cheaper provider last year before summer and it saved me quite a bit.  My highest electric bill previously was right around $200 in summer 2009.  With the brutal hot summer we had this year, my highest bill was only $160.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 5:11:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I ask that question every time the power goes out because the dumb shits keep building overhead lines in a area prone to storms that produce high winds. They say it will cost too much.  Yeah, I wonder how much Irene cost Dominion power when 1 million people were in the dark because they allow trees to grown over the lines.

I never lost power because in my part of town we have underground lines for the most part. The only over head lines in the area are transmission lines that feed the underground system. These lines are build on huge ass concrete poles(compared to the normal wooden ones) and the lines are way above the trees.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 5:14:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Many larger cities in the U.S. already have them.  We do here in Texas and I like them because I no longer need a meter reader to set foot on my property.  As for the concerns of dynamic pricing, well, in Texas we have a deregulated electric industry, so when I choose my electric provider, I lock in a rate for a certain period of time.  Sorry, but they can't dynamically adjust my rate whenever they feel like when I've got a contract in force.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Many larger cities in the U.S. already have them. We do here in Texas and I like them because I no longer need a meter reader to set foot on my property. As for the concerns of dynamic pricing, well, in Texas we have a deregulated electric industry, so when I choose my electric provider, I lock in a rate for a certain period of time. Sorry, but they can't dynamically adjust my rate whenever they feel like when I've got a contract in force.

That's how it might work now, but just wait.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:30:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Many larger cities in the U.S. already have them. We do here in Texas and I like them because I no longer need a meter reader to set foot on my property. As for the concerns of dynamic pricing, well, in Texas we have a deregulated electric industry, so when I choose my electric provider, I lock in a rate for a certain period of time. Sorry, but they can't dynamically adjust my rate whenever they feel like when I've got a contract in force.

Believe it or not, not everything is a conspiracy.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:37:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Tree huggers won't let em.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Believe it or not, not everything is a conspiracy.

But dynamic billing is one of the benefits that likes to popup when ever "officals" talk about the smart gird.

Dominion power is already trying that dynamic billing bullshit.

http://www.dom.com/about/conservation/about-smartmeters.jsp

http://www.dom.com/dominion-virginia-power/customer-service/rates-and-tariffs/pdf/vabdpr.pdf

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Here in Southern Nevada, the more we conserve, the higher they raise the rates
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Smart meters are another way for the government to fuck you.  Count on it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's here.

In my part of the world peak demand hours are around 14:00-19:00, avoid that time and you will be much happier with your bill.

Programmable thermostat FTW.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Tree huggers won't let em.

Fact.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#15]
PECO has done away with off peak meters, but they have been around since the 60's.

Edit: didn't read
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:58:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
But dynamic billing is one of the benefits that likes to popup when ever "officals" talk about the smart gird.

http://www.dom.com/dominion-virginia-power/customer-service/rates-and-tariffs/pdf/vabdpr.pdf

I can't pretend I know what the electric situation is like in your state, but as I explained earlier, here in Texas we're deregulated and so I can elect to sign a contract with my electric company for a certain time period (6 months, 12, 24, etc.).  They can't just arbitrarily raise my electric rate during the contract period - they do that, I sue them; chances are a lot of their other customers would too.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:01:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Many larger cities in the U.S. already have them.  We do here in Texas and I like them because I no longer need a meter reader to set foot on my property.  As for the concerns of dynamic pricing, well, in Texas we have a deregulated electric industry, so when I choose my electric provider, I lock in a rate for a certain period of time.  Sorry, but they can't dynamically adjust my rate whenever they feel like when I've got a contract in force.

I really think the smart meter is something different, the one your talking about I had when I lived in MN 15 years ago where they could drive by at 20 mph and could read it or the meter reading was sent right to the office.

These smart readers send info for when power is used each minute of the day compared to just send the total used for the month.

now I could be wrong because I am no expert but did stay at a Holiday Inn many many years ago
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't pretend I know what the electric situation is like in your state, but as I explained earlier, here in Texas we're deregulated and so I can elect to sign a contract with my electric company for a certain time period (6 months, 12, 24, etc.). They can't just arbitrarily raise my electric rate during the contract period - they do that, I sue them; chances are a lot of their other customers would too.

And when your contract expires what then? You sign a new contract that allows for dynamic billing if that is how the power company wants to roll. It doesn't take a nuclear engineer to figure that one out.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:03:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Smart meters are another way for the government to fuck you.  Count on it.

Pretty much.

Anything that turns control over to someone else usually has some unintended consequences.

It will start off with incentives for doing this (let us control your thermostat and we'll knock 10% off your bill) and from there go downhill.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really think the smart meter is something different, the one your talking about I had when I lived in MN 15 years ago where they could drive by at 20 mph and could read it or the meter reading was sent right to the office.

These smart readers send info for when power is used each minute of the day compared to just send the total used for the month.

now I could be wrong because I am no expert but did stay at a Holiday Inn many many years ago

For the most part, you're correct.  My meter sends a signal to some relay station about every 15 minutes.  No more meter reader coming on my property is good by me.  It also allows the utility to see when an outage occurs and better control transmission to needed areas.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't pretend I know what the electric situation is like in your state, but as I explained earlier, here in Texas we're deregulated and so I can elect to sign a contract with my electric company for a certain time period (6 months, 12, 24, etc.). They can't just arbitrarily raise my electric rate during the contract period - they do that, I sue them; chances are a lot of their other customers would too.

And when your contract expires what then? You sign a new contract that allows for dynamic billing if that is how the power company wants to roll. It doesn't take a nuclear engineer to figure that one out.

What are you talking about?  Sorry but you're just posting conjecture that isn't based on fact.  When my contract is almost up, I can elect to sign a new contract with my existing company at whatever rates they have at the time, or if I don't like those rates, I can switch to a different company.  This is not difficult to understand.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

And we're getting these stoopid metes, too.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Quoted:

And we're getting these stoopid metes, too.

Well they want you to conserve, but then when you do, they don't make enough money, so they raise the rates to compensate for loss of usage.  It's complete BS.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:48:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you talking about?  Sorry but you're just posting conjecture that isn't based on fact.  When my contract is almost up, I can elect to sign a new contract with my existing company at whatever rates they have at the time, or if I don't like those rates, I can switch to a different company.  This is not difficult to understand.

I think the point is that eventually all your options will have dynamic billing and you won't have a choice, no matter how many providers are in the area.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Our meter just got changed out for one of these piles of crap.   No real warning, just came home to many blinking clocks and my home network down (UPS died).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top