Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2011 11:34:06 PM EDT
after you get really good, you quit, and start your own business in competition of your former employer?

Just curious if anyone has ever done that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

after you get really good, you quit, and start your own business in competition of your former employer?

thats a great way to make powerful enemies..

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Many criminal defense attorneys began their careers as prosecutors. That would fit your scenario to a T.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I would right now if I had the capital to start said business. I know for a fucking fact if I had the money I could dominate the residential flooring market in DFW
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I would venture a guess that most small businesses are started this way.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I've thought about landing a job as an automobile detailer, a job so simply that high school students do it, and then just slowly but surely buy all the needed equipment WITH the money I get paid for at work. Then once I get all my equipment, I start doing jobs for friends directly. Ask them to critique my work, ask them if they feel they got their money's worth, etc. Then start branching out to strangers. Once I feel confident in my skills, I then call it quits at the detailing place,... and go into business myself as a mobile auto detailer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF are they going to do? It's a free country.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can think of 1,001 things they could do that would keep you from doing much except paperwork and answering phonecalls from lawyers and bureaucrats trying to shut you down.

None of them are ethical and all of them are legal.

It is not, unfortunately, as free a country as most think.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#8]
...damn round cooked off.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:49:05 PM EDT
[#9]
If that is your goal, careful what you sign in your employment agreement
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Exactly. My brother had to sign a non-compete form, which I think lasts for several years after
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 12:11:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can think of 1,001 things they could do that would keep you from doing much except paperwork and answering phonecalls from lawyers and bureaucrats trying to shut you down.

None of them are ethical and all of them are legal.

It is not, unfortunately, as free a country as most think.

THIS!

And my former employer wouldn't stop at illegalities, to crush a potential competitor, no matter how small.

Their bag of dirty tricks was overflowing.  

Hell, they screwed their employees just for their own amusement.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 12:14:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I've thought about landing a job as an automobile detailer, a job so simply that high school students do it, and then just slowly but surely buy all the needed equipment WITH the money I get paid for at work. Then once I get all my equipment, I start doing jobs for friends directly. Ask them to critique my work, ask them if they feel they got their money's worth, etc. Then start branching out to strangers. Once I feel confident in my skills, I then call it quits at the detailing place,... and go into business myself as a mobile auto detailer.

I can show you how to do that in an afternoon if you buy me a twelve pack and bring over a buffer.

All you need is a vacuum a nice buffer and some compound and polish. If you want to get fancy you could get a shampoo rig of some sort in a van or truck.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 12:18:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Im also learning how to do PDR as a fourth income. If you ever get it rolling we can cross promote. I figure in about six months Ill start working out the details for advertisement for my side business. Hopefully it will take off enough to become my primary income.  Prices are very high for PDR and Im already getting better at it than some of the work I have seen out there.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 4:31:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Kind of standard in IT.  As you gain skill, your position / pay in the company usually will not keep pace so every few years your switching jobs, at least when starting out.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 4:43:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can show you how to do that in an afternoon if you buy me a twelve pack and bring over a buffer.

All you need is a vacuum a nice buffer and some compound and polish. If you want to get fancy you could get a shampoo rig of some sort in a van or truck.

Was about to say just this. Its not hard to detail cars. Just skip the dealer part and go straight to friends/family
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Most likely you would have signed a no compete contract and would have to wait at least a year or possibly even move to another location before you could do that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#17]
i signed a NDA that would prevent me from doing that or from taking a job with a competing company and sharing any information/training I received.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Happens all the time in skilled labor fields.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly. My brother had to sign a non-compete form, which I think lasts for several years after

I rather doubt that an auto detailing shop is going to have any sort of employment contract, let alone one with any sort of non-compete language. I further doubt that any auto detailing shop is going to miss any of its employees once they move on.

It's a skill, but not an irreplaceable skill.

I would suggest to the OP that he keep detailed receipts for any equipment and supplies that he purchases before leaving the employer, to defend himself against any claim of theft or pilfering.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#20]
yep ...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top