Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2011 8:38:14 PM EDT
Several months ago, I asked one of the tellers at my bank (Wells Fargo) if they accepted loose coins for deposit.  She said that they did.  So today I brought in my coins, and I was told that they would accept them only if they were rolled - unless I had a merchant account.  I'm not about to spend a few hours rolling up coins so that my bank will take them.  Banks that I have dealt with previously had no problem dumping them into the coin counter and depositing the amount to my account.

I have had absolutely no problems with Wells Fargo until now, but I'm a bit miffed that they won't take my money.  I can't help but think that if they placed a high priority on pleasing their customers, they could find a way to put my money in my account without me having to roll it all up for them.

Does your bank manage to find a way to accept your loose coins?  If so, who do you bank with?

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#1]
They have those machines that roll your money... Some are cheap.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#2]
One of my banks (Compass) will ONLY take loose coins.

BoA takes rolled, never tried loose.

Not worth the hassle so I just throw money at the Coinstar machine every few months.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I just save up my change and then dump it in a CoinStar machine at the supermarket.

My bank gave me the BS about rolled only. I don't know if thats BS or they, in fact by law, have to accept unrolled coins.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
My WF has a coin counter, they will take all you have. I guess it depends on the branch.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#5]
My CU has a coin counting machine.  Drop it all in there, take the receipt to the teller and money in the account.

MUCH better than those Coinstar machines which take something like 7% from you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you watch TV?   Perfect time to roll coins . . . BFD.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, it sounds like different tellers at your bank interpreting the policies differently.

There is a Coinstar machine in the same supermarket as my bank, and the bank will refund the Coinstar fee if I deposit the cash and bring them the receipt.  Very handy for me.    (US Bank)

I will take a crown royal bag full of coins in there about every 6 months.  It is usually around $120.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#8]
My bank is too small to have a counter. They gladly take rolled coin. Overs and shorts wash out but there isn't any time for the bankers to count your fucking pile of coin.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

My bank is too small to have a counter. They gladly take rolled coin. Overs and shorts wash out but there isn't any time for the bankers to count your fucking pile of coin.
My bank is not small; it's a large branch of a very large bank.  They obviously have a counter, or they wouldn't have said they will do it for merchant accounts. I'm sorry to hear that your bank convinced you that your "fucking pile of coin" was not worth their trouble.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#10]
What do those coin changers charge ?

70/30

think 64/36 was last I saw. Fuck them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Depending on which town I'm in I use 3 different branches on a regular basis.  Two of them have machines that will count the change.  I usually take a plastic dish of coins, they dump it in, and tell me how much is going into my account.

The 3rd one doesn't have a machine but they do have a scale.  If you roll the coins they will weigh it, and if the weight is right they will deposit that much into your account (or give you cash).
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

70/30

huh?  Coinstar is 8.9%

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My CU has a coin counting machine.  Drop it all in there, take the receipt to the teller and money in the account.

>$600 a few months ago for me!  I filled up their pennies bag.  It was fun.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

70/30

7 to 9%
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine takes coins. I'm probably about due for another coin deposit.

Last one documented here
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Your bank sucks. My bank takes my beer stein of coins and dumps them into a machine that counts them. I get 100% of my money deposited into my account.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

70/30

7 to 9%

Well, if it's gettin used it's costing somebody.

I didn't take the deal. Sure some have.

Hey it's L.A.(lower AlaBama).

Sum see paper money as rich.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

70/30

7 to 9%

If you get a gift card from one of the coinstar partners, there is no fee.  http://www.coinstar.com/FreeCoinCounting

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Your bank sucks. My bank takes my beer stein of coins and dumps them into a machine that counts them. I get 100% of my money deposited into my account.

This. I use Wells Fargo, and I have no problem bringing in a shit load of coins and getting 100% of my money deposited. The teller even took out my dollar coins and suggested I should probably keep them.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#20]
My old bank would only take loose coins and dump them in their counting maching.  If you gave them rolls, they would crack them open and dump them into the machine as well.

Now, with USAA - and very few brick and mortar locations - I just use coinstar and take the small hit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I bank with Chase and am not sure. I've never brought loose coins in. However, I have two friends that work at Wells Fargo and both of their locations have coin counters. One of their locations is a very high volume location, the other is extremely low volume. Based on that, and a few other things I've heard from other folks that bank at Wells, if Chase ever rubs me wrong that's where I'm headed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:42:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I bank at PNC. They pissed me off a few years ago. Told me they only accepted rolled coins. So I went home, spent a few hours rolling my coins. Went in the next day and they FUCKING BROKE OPEN EVERY ROLL and dumped them into their coin counter, to "verify." Bastards.

I was so pissed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Both of them do, one has a machine you use and the other does it for you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#24]
JUST an FYI, coinstar doesn't charge if you get a gift certificate to one of their retailers. I use my spare change on Amazon.com
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 12:36:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
JUST an FYI, coinstar doesn't charge if you get a gift certificate to one of their retailers. I use my spare change on Amazon.com

I didn't know that.
thanks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 2:28:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Same with mine.  I abused that machine a few years back when I was roll searching half dollars for silver.  Dumped $300-400 bucks worth of halves in it a time

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 2:34:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Several months ago, I asked one of the tellers at my bank (Wells Fargo) if they accepted loose coins for deposit.  She said that they did.  So today I brought in my coins, and I was told that they would accept them only if they were rolled - unless I had a merchant account.  I'm not about to spend a few hours rolling up coins so that my bank will take them.  Banks that I have dealt with previously had no problem dumping them into the coin counter and depositing the amount to my account.

I have had absolutely no problems with Wells Fargo until now, but I'm a bit miffed that they won't take my money.  I can't help but think that if they placed a high priority on pleasing their customers, they could find a way to put my money in my account without me having to roll it all up for them.

Does your bank manage to find a way to accept your loose coins?  If so, who do you bank with?

Thats retarded, and sounds like you were talking to a lazy teller. If you've got enough quarters, you could short every roll 2 or 3, and make free beer money for the weekend!
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 3:03:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I bank at PNC. They pissed me off a few years ago. Told me they only accepted rolled coins. So I went home, spent a few hours rolling my coins. Went in the next day and they FUCKING BROKE OPEN EVERY ROLL and dumped them into their coin counter, to "verify." Bastards.

I was so pissed.

Whoever thought up that procedure probably broke his arm patting himself on the back over his brilliant logic and reasoning.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 3:10:05 AM EDT
[#29]
No.......gotta be put in coin wrappers.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 3:22:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just wait, they will figure out they can make money off of it. My CU went from accepting loose change, to requiring it be rolled. Then they decided THEY had to roll it. So they got a coin machine. All this was free. Now the last time I took in a pile of coins, they decided somewhere along the line they should charge for this "service." Btw, they still require change to be rolled, and they still require that they do it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 3:26:06 AM EDT
[#31]
The last time I went to my branch, they were still Chevy Chase Bank and they had a coin sorter/counter in the lobby.  You'd put your loose coins in and it would give a receipt that you then took to one of the line tellers then they'd credit one of your accounts with what was on the receipt.  I don't know if that's changed or not since they've since been bought out by Capital One. I do have a coffee can full of loose coin.  Time to take it in I guess.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 3:26:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

70/30

my IS FREE. you dump in the coin take recpit to teller, cash or deposite your choice.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 3:51:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:22:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Why are so many fine with the 7 to 10% hit on coin counters yet  pissed that banks are charging $5 per month for debit card use?
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My WF has a coin counter, they will take all you have. I guess it depends on the branch.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:38:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Several months ago, I asked one of the tellers at my bank (Wells Fargo) if they accepted loose coins for deposit.  She said that they did.  So today I brought in my coins, and I was told that they would accept them only if they were rolled - unless I had a merchant account.

My CU won't accept them rolled... they have a machine in the lobby you punch your account number into and then dump the coins in.  Machine sorts 'em out and and makes the deposit.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:40:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

This.  Loved that feature during the "tour" when I signed up for an account.  No more coin rolling!  Just bring in the jug and dump it in –– no charge.

I heart my credit union.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Our Walmart recently remodeled and their self-checkout lines now have a dish you can pour coins into instead of feeding them 1 by 1 into a slot.  It isn't as fast as coinstar, but pretty handy.  

"We're goin' to Walmart - fill yer pockets, kids!!"

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:45:41 AM EDT
[#39]
I try not to dump too many on them all at once.  Nothing sucks as a teller more than having to deal with a couple hundred dollars worth of pennies.  Having walked many miles in their shoes I tend to be sympathetic.  If I'm hoarding change to buy ammo, which I do, then I'll sell my coin a few times through the year and just toss the cash into the jar.  It's really not that difficult.  I let my kids count the change so they can learn about money.  Rolling coin is about as easy as anything could ever be.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:46:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

70/30

7 to 9%

If you get a gift card from one of the coinstar partners, there is no fee.  http://www.coinstar.com/FreeCoinCounting

I did this last time I had a bunch of change. Dump it in. Get an Amazon receipt with a code. Enter the code at Amazon's site. Spend the full amount with no fees taken out.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#41]
My bank has a coin counter/sorter behind the counter. If youre a customer, they will do it for free and deposit or give you the cash. Non-customers pay a small fee, same as using the coin-star machines.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#42]
you guys keep dumping all your change in those machines without sorting it!

found these three in a single $2 roll a few weeks ago...

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:05:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Mine has a coin counting machine. It's free if you're an account holder. Just dump the change in and take the receipt to the teller.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The last time I went to my branch, they were still Chevy Chase Bank and they had a coin sorter/counter in the lobby.  You'd put your loose coins in and it would give a receipt that you then took to one of the line tellers then they'd credit one of your accounts with what was on the receipt.  I don't know if that's changed or not since they've since been bought out by Capital One. I do have a coffee can full of loose coin.  Time to take it in I guess.

I bank with Capital One, and both branches that I go to have coin machines.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Same here.  I save it up, check it for silver and take in it.  Doesn't cost me a dime.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#46]
My credit union has a coin sorter, free to members.  Navyfcu!
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Your bank sucks. My bank takes my beer stein  empty paint cans of coins and dumps them into a machine that counts them. I get 100% of my money deposited into my account.

Loose buttons and toenail clippings stop up the machine.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#48]
I use Coinstar.  But, I am an Amazon.com junkie and spend the money there anyway so it's not a big deal to get a gift card code. (Note, the coin star receipt printers SUCK.  DO NOT leave the thing in your wallet for a week, the ink will be rubbed off and the code gone.)

You could always go to the grocery store on welfare check days and stop up one of the automatic checkout lines stuffing coins in the machine, sort of payback to the WF goblins.  Sorta depends on how much in coins you have.  One of those mini coffee cans half full of coins is about $80.  A large coffee can full will net you $450.  I can stuff $20 worth of coins in a machine pretty fast so if it's just the handful from the console in my car I just spend it at the grocery store.

My credit union takes coins at their main branch only, and only as a deposit to an account holder. It's not worth the drive for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top