Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/3/2011 6:57:31 PM EDT
Is it worth buying some Absinthe to try?

I drink mainly Scotch or Irish Whisky, but people talk about the great buzz you are suppose to get from Absinthe. So is it all that great or just highly over rated?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Tried it once.  Tasted like shit.  Spent the night puking black shit into and around the toilet.  I didn't eat or drink anything black.

ETA - This was US "Absinthe" at a bar in Florida.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it. Give it a try
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Tried it once.  Tasted like shit.  Spent the night puking black shit into and around the toilet.  I didn't eat or drink anything black.

Ewwwwww. That is one major vote for NO.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I desire more info on the Green Fairy as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't care for it.  It always jacks up my taste buds for a couple of days.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I drank it and vomited it up. No plans to drink it again.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#7]
The stuff bought in the states isn't real absinthe, its made without wormwood.  The wormwood is what gives you the weird feeling and it is illegal in the states.

Anybody that tells you that they feel different than just drunk off of absinthe bought at a store is a fucking poser.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I've tried it and it tastes like shit.  However, it does need to be prepared properly.  If you do decide to try it, research on the proper way to serve it.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#9]
over-rated and only slightly popular because it was restricted.  Stick with the Scotch or Irish Whiskey.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I never saw the green fairy and I paid like $90 for the garbage from Czech Republic.

It tasted A.W.F.U.L. Probably what cat piss taste like...

You can do a lot better for the money involved. Or just punch yourself in the nuts now...
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The stuff bought in the states isn't real absinthe, its made without wormwood.  The wormwood is what gives you the weird feeling and it is illegal in the states.

Anybody that tells you that they feel different than just drunk off of absinthe bought at a store is a fucking poser.

Well shit. So basically the U.S. stuff is just alcohol that apparently will make you up chuck black goo.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#12]
The worst tasting alcohol that I am familiar with. That's just an opinion though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

ETA: I drank mine in the Caribbean.

I puked nonetheless.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not anymore. You can get the real stuff now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#15]
What's with you light weights?  Getting sick from a little absinthe.  lol

I used to drink it all the time.  For months it was the only thing I was drinking.  It's pretty good.  You pour a little water into it before you drink it.  If you want to be fancier you can do the whole thing with the flaming sugar cube on a spoon and such.

You can buy high wormwood absinthe online... it's legal.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Isn't it spelled with a "Y"?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#17]
tastes like crap until you get used to it.  a spoon of sugar and an equal part cold water make it slightly less crap tasting.  you need at least 3 drinks to get a good buzz.  it was/is the cleanest buzz i've ever had.  'clarity' is the work i use to describe it.  go to drinkupny.com they have a good selection at good prices and ship to most states...
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#18]
The real stuff is good. But most of the crap you see is the bright green crap like the Czech stuff.

It makes for a nice happy hour.

If you decide to knock down an entire bottle, you will be in for a swirling hurricane of rampage.

I have no regrets.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#19]
funny...the wife has wanted to buy a bottle of this stuff for a while.

Maybe I shoudl forward her a link to this thread!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Try some Green Chartreuse as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I used to drink it all the time.  For months it was the only thing I was drinking.  It's pretty good.  You pour a little water into it before you drink it.  If you want to be fancier you can do the whole thing with the flaming sugar cube on a spoon and such.

okay, what is the good wormwood brand(s) of choice available in the US?

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Fuck this, I got a preban four loko keeping me company right now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The stuff bought in the states isn't real absinthe, its made without wormwood. The wormwood is what gives you the weird feeling and it is illegal in the states.

Last time I was at the ABC store(the week of Hurricane Isabel) They had small bottles(1.5 - 3oz) of "real" Absinthe. The label said it contained wormwood, but I wasn't about to drop $9 on the stuff.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Back when I was in the dorms, we thought it would be badass to trip balls on Absinthe. Long story short we ended up just being disgusted by the taste and saved what was left of the bottle as an interesting novelty . I say don't fo.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Tried it, and found it tasted like nyquil. It was disgusting and I did myself a favor and poured the rest of that shit out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well shit. So basically the U.S. stuff is just alcohol that apparently will make you up chuck black goo.

Then there's the camp that says the wormwood doesn't actually do anything and it's the fact that absinth is like 180proof that causes all the "problems".

Having had both types, I have never noticed a difference.  Either way remember, you're drinking gasoline.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not anymore. You can get the real stuff now.

They filter the thujone out of it, which is what comes from the wormwood.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

AGNSTA.

Tests have been done on surviving examples of Absinthe from before it was banned, and the wormwood levels were not toxic.

You'd die of alcohol poisoning before you got any psychotropic effects from the wormwood.

OP, don't buy Czech Absinthe. It's like MD20/20, only it's Absinthe. .

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Where?  If its real, I'm down to try it.

The shit I tried was a huge letdown and I'd rather drink everclear

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I got some smuggled in back when I was in college.  It was some real good Czech stuff that was at least $60 a bottle, but wasn't worth it.  I liked the taste, but it didn't make me trip balls, so I was severely disappointed.  If seeing shit is your goal, your money is better spent elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Weak black licorice flavor.....didn't care for it all that much.  (real stuff in Germany - not the US stuff)
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#32]
bought some real shit in Latvia once.... I refer to it as the devil's spunk....
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

okay, what is the good wormwood brand(s) of choice available in the US?

Decent ones include (and these are fairly commonly available)

Kubler

St. George

Lucid

Obsello

La Clandestine

And a reminder:

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AGNSTA.

Tests have been done on surviving examples of Absinthe from before it was banned, and the wormwood levels were not toxic.

You'd die of alcohol poisoning before you got any psychotropic effects from the wormwood.

OP, don't buy Czech Absinthe. It's like MD20/20, only it's Absinthe. .

MD 20/20 was my best friend in high school. Broke as fuck and was about all I could afford, but damn it did the job for sure.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I mixed it with water.

Tastes oily, and like black licorice iirc.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

ETA - This was US "Absinthe" at a bar in Florida.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Humph. It reminded me of when I was a young man in Nagasaki, in oh, 1945 or so. I was standing there on a street corner on a beautiful summer day. The sky was a dark blue and there was a light breeze blowing. I felt as though I had the world by the fuckin' BALL's if you know what I mean!!!   Damn but it was a wonderful day.  Then, all of a sudden, there was this huge flash of light, and I looked down and realized that the guy that was standing next to me on the street corner had MY BALLS in his left hand, and he was laying ten feet away!!! It all went down hill from there.   Never mind that I wasn't even born then.   Nope, I ain't gonna drink that shit never fuckin' ever again!!!!!  To add insult to injury, for three days I shit through a knot hole at fifty paces and never touched the sides.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#38]
overrated hyped shit.
buddy brought some back from germany on a tour. Had some at a halloween party last year. tasted like shit, no fairies were seen, tossed my cookies too.
perhaps the "fairy myth" had to do with the copius amounts of opiate being smoked, mercury poisoning from felt hats, late stage of diptheria, or overall horrendous living condtions of 19th Century London in general... or any combinations of these things.
this is my theory at least
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Hmmm..... sounds like it is more hype than anything.

Guess I will get my thrills the old fashioned way. Drink Scotch while Auto-erotic asphyxiating watching Animal Planet
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Incorrect.

All absinthe sold everywhere have some form of wormwood in the "holy trinity" of absinthe herbs. What is regulated is the thujone content. However, even where thujone is not regulated in absinthe you would die of alchohol poisoning before getting any effects from the thujone. Back at the 1900s before the mass ban, people would see shit because they bought crap grade absinthe where the manufacturer would add random ass chemicals to make it green like the high grade brands.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#41]
The American version is nasty and it's nothing like the European original. I was working in a bar when the stuff was made legal here again.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#42]
I like the occaisonal absinthe as a change of pace.  It's not black in color, but clear so I'm not getting the black goo story.  I wouldn't buy a bottle unless you like it, try it sometime.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Absinthe is sort of the booze equivilent of Lutefisk, Pemmican or other famine food.  Rotgut grain alcohol cut with strong flavors and questionable additives in an attempt to turn it into something else.  Like fortified wines or Ouzo.  Or most Gin for that matter.  Drink booze/beer/wine that at least represents the distillers art as an art...  If you want some hallucinogens chew up a bit of a real mushroom and wash it down with a decent brew/wine/singlemalt and savor the experience.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Bought a bottle this summer from France. Wormwood and all and it wasn't great. Kind of like a Pernod/Sambuca lite. The buzz was a little different.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I tried in Mexico on spring break while in College after watching Euro Trip. I was disappoint.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Hype.

You would have to drink enough to enter a coma to get "high"....

Why torture yourself drinking something you have to add sugar to to keep from spitting it out?

To be "cool"?

Stuff's repulsive.

Yes I've had the "real" stuff, in Prague, 15 years ago.

Save your money for a beverage you actually ENJOY having....
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Its not illegal to have its just illegal to make here in the US at least the real absinthe, my uncle brought a some back the last time he was in Mexico, as long as you pay your duty on it you are fine. As far as taste it tasted like black jelly beans to me, I didn't drink anymore than one shot because I hated the taste, but I guess it was fun to try once, just to say I had. I can imagine if you got drunk off it, it would really screw you up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Get the real stuff and correctly filter it through cubes of sugar. Then decide if it was worth it or not as you try to figure out why you're naked and covered in paint and blood.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#49]
not worth trying stateside... not the real stuff
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Deal with the bad flavor.  

But there's no doubt you feel the effects of a shot dumped into a glass of water, within a minute.  Were it grain alcohol, you wouldn't.

There's something to it -if you get the real thing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top