Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2011 3:42:50 PM EDT
How is on maintenance?

Thinking about the 6 speed w/ full time Subaru-like AWD.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Worst Gas mileage of any SUV, bad blind spots, horrible rear tail light design , weak axles.

Maintance would be on par with any typical Toyota.

Honestly, I like them and wouldnt mine owning one, it wouldnt be a primary vehicle but something to go LIGHT off roading with, there is a good aftermarket out there for them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd buy one if they made it in convertible flavor.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Skip the retro and go right to a 4Runner or maybe an Xterra.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Look for a used GX 470, better utility, looks, engine, features, seating, power. Same milage, premium gas, same maintenance
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I would not get full time awd,  I had an 05 grand cherokee with full time 4wd and it could not be towed but could only be hauld on a flat bed which is inconvenient when you are broke down and it does happen even with a new vehicle

as far as fj's go I think they are hard to see out of,  my sister has one,  and other then that they are nice imo
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Xterra > FJ Cruiser.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
XterraLand Cruiser > FJ Cruiser.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#9]
The previous two posters are smoking crack. As for the one that recommends the 4runner, well the FJ uses the same platform. The frame is 2 inches shorter though.  

As for the light 4x4ing comment, just so you know there have been stock FJs that have made it through the Rubicon without assistance.

To answer your question about maintenance, I have had mine for almost 5 years now. I have had no issues with my FJ. I have just taken care of the regularly scheduled maintenance and have been g2g.

Blind spots aren't bad if you use the mirrors correctly. The biggest blind spot is just above the windshield if you pull up too closely to a spotlight.  The only other wish is that the trunk was a full four feet wide so I could fit a sheet of plywood in there.

It is a great vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As for the light 4x4ing comment, just so you know there have been stock FJs that have made it through the Rubicon without assistance.

Ive seen a 2 wheel drive 1980s stationwagon make it thru MOAB, dont make it right.

Ive wheeled with the FJ cruiser clubs, the rear axles are weak, you get them in a bind and they will snap, I seen it first hand.

I also said Id buy one someday if I needed a second vehicle to play, but as it is, ive got a full size K5 that has no problems going where I point it.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:16:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I test drove one two weeks ago.  It would not be my choice for  daily driver, especially if highways were involved.  It rode really rough and had extremely limited visibility.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Worst Gas mileage of any SUV, bad blind spots, horrible rear tail light design , weak axles.

Honestly, I like them and wouldnt mine owning one, it wouldnt be a primary vehicle but something to go LIGHT off roading with, there is a good aftermarket out there for them.

I can't stand the looks of the rear tail lights.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How is on maintenance?

Thinking about the 6 speed w/ full time Subaru-like AWD.

Have had mine for 5 years now, hadn't had any problems other then things I've inflicted on it myself

You get use to the blind spots, honestly if you know how to use your mirrors correctly and actually turn your head, you shouldn't have any problems

Will probably keep mine for many years to come

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

LOL.

I have owned quite a few trucks and SUV's and after buying my new 08 FJ on the last business day of the same year, I dont think I will ever let it go.

It is easily my favorite truck I have ever owned. Absolutely crawls through anything a factory vehicle should even consider, but handles on the highway with great manners, good power, refined quality and good economy. For the weight and power, I am happy with the avg of 17-18mpg, mixed city/hwy.

If you can use mirrors, even a little bit, the blind spot is irrelevant after about 10 minutes.

The push button locker, and A-Trac on the front axle are the key. With decent tires this truck is super capable, and has much better road manners than its only competition, the Wrangler. Dont even talk about build quality and durability, different planet from the Jeep.

I respect the Jeep, off road, but overall the FJ is infinitely better.

Great value, and the resale just doesnt drop. Toyota FTW.

Forgot the best part- FUCK UAW and the bail out brands
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#15]
do they still only run on premium?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been more impressed with them than I thought I would be.

Only think that Toyota makes today that's worth a damn offroad.

I don't know about the rear axle issue, but it wouldn't surprise me.  Hell, even Jeep's have trouble if you don't upgrade the base-model rear end.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Oh hell yeah I'm still loving my new FJ

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
do they still only run on premium?

No.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Please tell us that silver motor-vehicular appliance on the right side of the last pic isn't yours.  

No, it's the Armenian's car from next door. They are my bitter enemies

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got an '07, and I will have it until it is absolutely dead. Blind spots are easy to overcome, seriously. I've got a bit of a lead foot, and I can still get 19 on the highway if I'm a little easy on it. Locking rear and A-Trace are outstanding, as I live in the country, on a mesa, at 7300', and have to fight to get to work sometimes in the snow.

I've owned Jeep, a ZR2 Blazer, etc., and I'd take the FJ any day over anything else.

Sorry, I can only wish that I had cool pictures like those above.

Edited to add: my gas mileage is with 85 octane only.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#22]
mine's an '07 and I'm still loving it. There's nowhere I haven't be able to go in it. I don't do rock crawling, so I don't need articulation measured in feet. It's very capable off road. I put a full-on ICON suspension in mine, and and running 285 tera grapplers. When these go, I may move up a size.

Blind spots - if you don't know how to use your mirrors, then yes they are there. There a cars out there with worse ones.

It's the kind of vehicle where you either love it or you hate it. there does not seem to be a lot of fence sitters.

here's an old picture of mine:

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#23]
They aren't too bad if you don't mind driving a Port-A-Potty...

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Love mine. I drove Jeep's for over 16 years and switched to a Toyota in the form of an FJ.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:56:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I beat the holy fucking shit out of my Xterra (2001) and the ONLY thing I had to replace was a rear U-Joint.

I mean I wheeled it.. Mudded it.. Raced it.. Jumped it..  Fucker held solid.. I want another one!
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#26]
We've had our '10 FJ TRD for 18 months. We had an '07 6-speed manual previously for about a year.

Toyota did some engine redesigning that really improved power delivery with the '10 model year. The TRD (basically a Bilstein shock & spring setup) suspension is a significant improvement over the 'stock' or 'factory' suspension. The '10 TRD rides much, much smoother, is quieter, has crisp handling and the automatic transmission with the A-trac makes 4-wheeling seem like a natural ability instead of an ordeal.

Gas mileage? We get an honest 17-19mpg around town with the 16" tires aired up. On the highway, using the cruise control, we can easily pull it up to 23-24mpg on even terrain without a headwind. We rolled through the mountains in Tennessee & Georgia getting 22mpg at around 80-85mph trying to stay out of the way of the freightliners. Never missed a beat or broke a sweat.

Our 15K service was a snap. Oil & filter change, top off fluids, tire rotation, clean the cabin air filter... $64.00 at the dealer. It's running on Toyota full synthetic 0w-20 and hasn't burned or leaked a drop. The brake pads and tire wear was less than 10% and it's a daily driver. Toyota wants to extend the oil service out to 10K with the new full synthetics. I used to be fanatical about changing oil at 3K but after reading enough about the quality of full synthetic oils, decided that 5K would be a decent compromise.

I've spent more time detailing the exterior and interior than I've had to spend doing mechanical maintenance. The most I've had to do was trim the cover on the tire carrier cover to allow the back up camera to see lower in the rear.

We traded our '06 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4wd access cab for the '07 FJ.

Prior to the Tacoma, we had an '88 4Runner with the 4 cylinder, auto trans and manual hubs. It was a little tractor in 4wd! Alas, it was succumbing to rust and rather than spend a small fortune trying to resurrect and restore it, we opted to spend a small fortune on the Tacoma––- which was a fortune well spent, worth every penny.

The '07 FJ was an awesome vehicle! I installed a short throw shift kit and it was damn near snik snik through the gears. Didn't care for the full time AWD. IMHO, the automatic with the A-trac is much better, much smoother and delivers a more positive and secure feel, especially in snow and on ice. The AWD is just plain 'hooked-up' and demands an element of driving skill and finesse. It also demands the best rubber you can bring to the party to get the most out of the system. It rocks! Great vehicle!

But, the '10 rides better, is quieter, has an ever better build quality and it has the TRD suspension components that, IMHO, give a slight but noticeable ride and handling improvement. The '10 motor is way better than the '07 in terms of power deliver, torque delivery and overall tractability for daily driving and around town traffic situations.

I've been in a lot of Jeeps. Not impressed. Now the Rubicon is an entirely different Jeep and it was well considered before jumping into the FJ. But, it's a hard core off road Jeep with a price tag reflecting that capability. I'd take one in a rapid heart beat but I wouldn't give up the comfort and functionality of the FJ.

The new 4Runners are just excessively nice. Too nice, too comfortable, too expensive!

The best place on the intwebz for the straight shots on the FJ is at the Toyota FJ Cruiser forums... good, bad, ugly and pretty, It's all there to pick through and enjoy. Well worth the registration. The after market support is growing even bigger! The FJ is well thought of and quite popular.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 5:50:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
XterraLand Cruiser > FJ Cruiser.

While I agree its a different Demographic. I can not/will not spend 65-75K on a new Landcruiser.  And I am a Landcruiser addict. FJ Cruiser is fine. Same platform as the 4Runner cool styling and decent(16-18)mpg. If you don't buy a car because of the blind spots thats your choice.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#28]
2011 and 2012 gets 260hp with all four cams being VVT

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#29]
The only FJ worth a shit:

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:20:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought my '07 FJ used about 6 months ago. Never looked back. Like another poster said, you get used to the blind spots in about 10 minutes. The dang thing goes just about anywhere. Very comfortable on the highway. Much more interior room than a Jeep Rubicon. I get about 19 mpg overall. I really don't know why I didn't buy one when they first came out.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:30:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Bought my 07 about three years ago.  Extremely happy with.  Just routine maintenance and tires.  Other than fishing and hunting don't do much for off roading; not a lot of rock climibing to be done in Iowa.  Thing plows thru snow like it isn't there.  

Mileage is high teens.  I can crack 20 mpg about twice a year.  I used to run premium all the time.  Recently switched to non-ethanol regular and haven't noticed any difference in performance.

Blind spots are manageble but can be a nuisance.  Back seat is not real practical.  Road and wind noise is higher than a car (well duh).
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Bought an '07 exactly 7 days ago. Loving it so far.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:36:21 AM EDT
[#33]
FJ === F@G JEEP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top