Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2011 9:12:15 PM EDT
How warm are they?

I need to get some new hunting boots and these seem like the cheapest, warmest option.  Am I missing a big downside to them?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I never wore them once.  
Way too heavy to lug around.
I was told they were ultra warm, but non breathable.
Perhaps I was foolish?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Heavy, non breathable, suck to walk or jump in.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Very warm but very heavy.  Skip them unless your still hunting or ice fishing.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Why are they called "Mickey Mouse" boots?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why are they called "Mickey Mouse" boots?

I always thought that if you looked at Mickey's feet then you'd see the resemblance.  Big, round, not well suited to walking.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

How warm are they?

I need to get some new hunting boots and these seem like the cheapest, warmest option.  Am I missing a big downside to them?

They're big, clunky and heavy.  But they are warm.  I'm confident in their ability to keep my feet warm even if I had to march across Eastern Siberia.  They have really good traction on ice, too.  I bought a pair of the white ones when I was in college and I tested them out on a night when the temp dropped down to about -20°F.  I walked about 7 or 8 miles that night.  It was very invigorating.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Most of my hunting (in the South/east coast) is still hunting.  Riding in a boat and then sitting in a duck blind, or sitting in a tree stand.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#9]
South/East coast of what?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This

This - and cold.  Froze my ass of for a week in the snows of Wildflecken in them.

Civilian boots have come a Loooooong way since these cold, heavy boots were developed 50+ years ago.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#11]
NC and WV.  Lowest temps I've hunted in are in the teens.  I just don't like being cold and that seems like a warm-as-hell way to go for $60.  But I guess it makes sense that civilian boot technology is probably a lot better now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

NC and WV.  Lowest temps I've hunted in are in the teens.  I just don't like being cold and that seems like a warm-as-hell way to go for $60.  But I guess it makes sense that civilian boot technology is probably a lot better now.

Look at something like the muck boots or other like them.

Bunny boots are roasters.

Have both the black and white bunny's.

Don't wear them unless it starts getting cold.

They will make you get muscles in you legs.

Have no trouble with the weight though.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Bunny boots.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Scratch that; they are only like $40 on ebay.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

They're heavy if all you're looking at is teens.  I think they're rated to -60 or so.  Illinois hasn't even had anything remotely close to that temp.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I walked around the University of Illinois campus twice in those things.  I think my calves and thighs doubled in size in a couple hours.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I walked around the University of Illinois campus twice in those things.  I think my calves and thighs doubled in size in a couple hours.

Wore the blacks for work and that was 6 days a week pulling/pushing pallets.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Hmmm.  

"Very cold" in Alaska is a lot colder than "very cold" in a windy duck blind in NC.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Or, you could just get something like this  http://www.cabelas.com/footwear-accessories-icebreaker-insulated-boot-blanket-overboots-1.shtml , put them on when you're not moving and take them off when you are.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Just get some insulated lacrosse boots, or the bass pro brand if you have one near by.

Doesn't get nearly cold enough around here for those things.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:37:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I never wore them when I was in. They were just another heavy, useless item to lug around with the rest of my TA-50.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:27:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I've worn the Bunny Boots in -30 temps and they're the warmest boots I've ever worn.  They are heavy as shit though; I had to snowshoe with them and it sucked.  I bought the Mickey Mouse boots for still hunting in VA because it rarely gets into the single digits.  Something else to consider with these boots is that if you take a plunge into water somewhere far from civilization, you just dump out the water and stuff your wet socked feet back into them and they will warm back up in no time.  The heavy wool insulation in these boots are encapsulated by rubber both inside and out, so there's nothing to get wet.  This is also how they stay so warm; the sweat vapors from your feet can't dampen the insulation like they do with traditional hunting boots.  It's the same principle of putting a plastic baggie over your sock.  If your feet sweat a lot, than these will work great for you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:49:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I wore them on a USMC trip to Norway.

Sitting around = perfect.
Moving = sucks balls.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of my hunting (in the South/east coast) is still hunting.  Riding in a boat and then sitting in a duck blind, or sitting in a tree stand.

The cold bottom of a boat can really suck the heat out of ya, but I'd hate to go *splash* with three pounds of rubber on each of my feet.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I have the bunny boots.

My feet get cold real easy. These are the only boots I have ever had that kept my feet toasty warm. I wear them every year when I'm on the tractor plowing. I also wear them if I go riding the atv or buggy. I have worn them doing everything from trekking through knee high snow in the woods to working on cars in the un-heated garage. Always warm, I love them.

Yes, they are heavy. One other thing about them, they are hard to lace tight. I'm sure that part will break in over time but I've just never done it. I can slip my feet in and out very fast without touching the laces. Nice.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:24:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Get Mukluks  if you can find them. Way better than anything else.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:30:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I never wore them when I was in. They were just another heavy, useless item to lug around with the rest of my TA-50.

Yep, mine never left my ruck.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#29]
I wore them (Bunny boots...the white ones) at FT McCoy during our pre-deployment train-up during winter a couple of years ago and loved 'em!

I wasn't bothered by the weight at all (It beat the shit out of cold feet when it was 20 below) but, if you DO decide to get some you might want

to go down a half size from what you normally wear.  I wear a 10 1/2-11 most of the time (Depending on the manufacturer) but the 10's fit me

great.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I was in Charlie Airborne in Alaska from 75 to 79.  We didn't have a choice what boots to wear in the winter.  We wore what we were told to.

I've made plenty of parachute jumps in these things, I've marched, snow-shoed and skied hundreds of miles during my 4 winters up there.  My feet eve stayed warm the one time it got to -70 outside of Fairbanks.  

They weren't the most comfortable boots I've ever worn, but they worked.

The boots work like a thermos, there is an inner space that traps the heat between layers.  Like a thermos, they only work as long as there are no holes. in either the inner or outer layers.

Our boots got tested every winter  and exchanged if bad.

Beware of used (property disposal) boots.  The've been disposed of for a reason.

There is a picture in the "Badassery" thread of the Air Force guy doing the hi altitude parachute jump from the ballon, he is wearing these same boots.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I wore them (Bunny boots...the white ones) at FT McCoy during our pre-deployment train-up during winter a couple of years ago and loved 'em!

I wasn't bothered by the weight at all (It beat the shit out of cold feet when it was 20 below) but, if you DO decide to get some you might want

to go down a half size from what you normally wear.  I wear a 10 1/2-11 most of the time (Depending on the manufacturer) but the 10's fit me

great.

You want to go up a size if you get the white bunny boots.

Too tight and you will have a hard time keeping your feet warm.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Get Mukluks  if you can find them. Way better than anything else.

Bingo.

I wore Bunny Boots once and hated them. I switched to mukluks and they were great. Combine the felt liner with nice thick socks and it was like walking around in bedroom slippers.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#33]
had em when in "cold weather" infantry unit- they seemed to do fine for me- kinday heavy, but keep feet warm.   If i recall, youi were oly supposed to wear one regular pair of socks in em- not big, thick woll socks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top