Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2011 7:43:58 PM EDT
team....thoughts and experinece requested before i make the jump

looking at the roku but also need a new DVD player

for almost the same cost i can get a Sony blue ray player with wifi that lets me get streaming video

or

a roku box

any experience with streaming video in somthing other than the roku?

thanks

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a Sony network media player recently (competitor to roku) for $55.  It was money well spent, it's got built in 802.11b/g/n and the video/picture quality is great.  It integrates with all my streaming accounts and my home network beautifully.  I'm looking at picking up a second one for another room in my house.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one and really enjoy it.  Used off woot a while ago.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a Roku that worked great. Then I got a new TV and a new Sony Bluray player with wireless streaming capability.  It works great too, as good if not better than the Roku.  Since you need a DVD player anyway, skip the Roku and get the Sony Bluray player.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I had a Roku that worked great. Then I got a new TV and a new Sony Bluray player with wireless streaming capability.  It works great too, as good if not better than the Roku.  Since you need a DVD player anyway, skip the Roku and get the Sony Bluray player.

Dude, it's Arfcom...get both!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We have 2 of these bluray players in our home, and they too work great.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#6]
get roku
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got one a few weeks back. I like it a lot. Works well.

Worth the money for sure.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one, it's nice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#9]
If you check you will find that the Blu Ray player also plays regular DVDs, likely also converts to "1080i".
Not real 1080 but it looks better than on my old DVD player which had progressive scan and component output.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top