Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2011 4:59:53 PM EDT
Denmark has introduced what’s believed to be the world’s first fat food tax, applying a surcharge to foods with more than 2.3 percent saturated fats, in an effort to combat obesity and heart disease.

Danes hoarded food before the tax went into effect Saturday, emptying grocery store shelves. Some butter lovers may even resort to stocking up during trips abroad.

The new tax of 16 kroner ($2.90) per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of saturated fat in a product will be levied on foods like butter, milk, cheese, pizza, oils and meat.

“Higher fees on sugar, fat and tobacco is an important step on the way toward a higher average life expectancy in Denmark,” health minister Jakob Axel Nielsen said when he introduced the idea in 2009, according to The Associated Press, because “saturated fats can cause cardiovascular disease and cancer.”

But some Danes are not happy about the ‘big brother’ feeling that comes with the tax.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2011/10/02/denmark-introduces-fat-tax-on-foods-high-in-saturated-fat/

Coming soon to a country near you?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Let Darwin do his work.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Fucking idiots
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#3]
all they have to do here is lower the price on healthy food.  Lemme see here a 20 oz. soda $1.50, a healthy fruit juice $3.00.  what the fat tax is going to do is raise the price on all food so that the expensive healthy food is the cheapest option.  But we all know that its not the foods fault, people just need to exercise.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn't this be a regressive tax on the poor?

HA! Halvarti only for the eeeeeeeeeevil rich!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#5]
But what if you're skinny?   So if I am a slender Dane,  I get penalized for fatties that can't control their jaws??

What they need is something like a truck scale at the checkout line.  10% over ideal body mass index,  10% surcharge....20% over ideal body mass index,  20% surcharge...
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Fine, but if they want to pass this in the USA then they also need to put a ban on using food stamps to buy unhealthy foods.

No soda.

No potato chips

No frozen foods

etc etc....

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fine, but if they want to pass this in the USA then they also need to put a ban on using food stamps to buy unhealthy foods.

No soda.

No potato chips

No frozen foods

etc etc....  

I think they are working on this in Texas.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay, I'll give you my penny in order to eat my ramen!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Government you deserve.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top