Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/2/2011 5:01:36 AM EDT

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15034651

Can one man build effective bridges between evangelical Christians and Chicago's gay community?

That is the hope of Andrew Marin - who has spent the last decade living in Boystown, Chicago's officially-designated neighbourhood for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) residents.

For the first three years, everybody just called me Straighty Straighterson - I was literally the only straight male who continued to go to everything”

He works to try to bring Christians and gay people together in open conversation about sexuality and spirituality - and that includes running a large-scale meeting four times a year at Roscoe's, one of America's most famous gay bars.

That is no small achievement in a culture where openly gay people and evangelical Christians have long viewed each other with suspicion.

But Andrew Marin's determination to bring polarised opposites together in dialogue has grown in ways he never imagined.

From small beginnings 10 years ago, he now takes his message around the world and has worked with governments as well as churches.

He is fast becoming a well-known figure in the United States, and has collaborated with one of the country's largest Christian publishers to produce a course for churches wishing to address questions about sexuality.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:04:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Boystown, Chicago's officially-designated neighbourhood for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) residents.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:05:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Boystown, Chicago's officially-designated neighbourhood for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) residents.

It's like chinatown in that other big cities (LA, for instance) have one.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:11:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder how an offically straight part of town would go over?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#4]
We are one SCOTUS Judge away from becoming Amsterdam....
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#5]
"So you see folks, that is why I've moved into the gay section of the city!  Has nothing to do with trolling for gay sex at the bars and glory holes, no sirree!"
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:47:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I AM LGBT

Inebriated And Most-likely Grabbing Ladies Butts & Tits
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#7]
They got the name wrong, instead of boystown they should have named it Homoville.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:53:32 AM EDT
[#8]
For the first three years, everybody just called me Straighty Straighterson

I 'd  I also read that with a lisp...

I must admire the man's persistence.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Why are some Christians so obsessed with homosexuality? It's only addressed in the Bible in passing, right alongside dozens and dozens of other sinful activities. Why are some Christians so hung up on this one sin?

I hardly think about it, and this dude purposely surrounds himself with it. You can't be all that healthy mentally, if this consumes that much of your thoughts.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:19:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I've often wondered the same... why do crusaders against one vice or another (Christian or not) fixate on their issue over every other?

As far as this particular case, I think this guy might have some tendencies he's having trouble with.

Quoted:
Why are some Christians so obsessed with homosexuality? It's only addressed in the Bible in passing, right alongside dozens and dozens of other sinful activities. Why are some Christians so hung up on this one sin?

I hardly think about it, and this dude purposely surrounds himself with it. You can't be all that healthy mentally, if this consumes that much of your thoughts.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They got the name wrong, instead of boystown they should have named it Homoville.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#12]
How have you gotten away with trolling so long?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't think that "Boystown" is an official designation.  It's just where all 'mos live, and that's what everyone calls.  

Hell, just bout every big city has a Gayborhood.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think that "Boystown" is an official designation. It's just where all 'mos live, and that's what everyone calls.

Hell, just bout every big city has a Gayborhood.

Having lived right south (as in a block south) of where Boystown begins, it's officially Boystown.  Just look at google maps of Chicago around Belmont and Halsted Streets...it even list that village as Boystown.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Americans, in general, are really wound up about sex.

Just look at GD. No swimsuits, but beheadings are okay.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why are some Christians so obsessed with homosexuality?

Good question.

Another might be: Why are some Jews so obsessed with Christianity?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good question.

Another fair question, really. 0ldGuy, you really do demonstrate kind of a pattern...

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question.

this
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Actually I, and most Christians really don't give a damn....but it is [as you atheists say] shoved down our throats constantly by folks who seem to think that deviant behavior should be legitimized.   Want to be left alone?....stfu about who your screwing.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question.

this

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question.

this

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We are one SCOTUS Judge away from becoming Amsterdam....

They're going to flood the streets???  

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Some animals and all that jazz
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually I, and most Christians really don't give a damn....but it is [as you atheists say] shoved down our throats constantly by folks who seem to think that deviant behavior should be legitimized.   Want to be left alone?....stfu about who your screwing.

Fair enough, and I never put you in the "some Christians..." camp.

I'm not your run of the mill atheist, though. I don't now, nor have I ever, felt that Christianity was being shoved down my throat, against my will. If I really sit down and nitpick it, I suppose that I could find some objectionable legislative acts that are rooted in Christianity, but it's a bit of a stretch. By and large, I've found that most Christians are perfectly well suited, to just leave me be. And they get, that I prefer to leave them to their own devices, as well. We're both happiest this way, and this is how it actually plays out, in real life.

And you know something? These Christians (you're not among them) that obsess over homosexuality, would do well to mimic other Christians who simply choose to let me, the dirty atheist, go about my day. From an outsider's perspective, it just looks weird, when somebody obsesses over a singular issue.

"Methinks the lady doth protest too much", as a wise man once said.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough, and I never put you in the "some Christians..." camp.

I'm not your run of the mill atheist, though. I don't now, nor have I ever, felt that Christianity was being shoved down my throat, against my will. If I really sit down and nitpick it, I suppose that I could find some objectionable legislative acts that are rooted in Christianity, but it's a bit of a stretch. By and large, I've found that most Christians are perfectly well suited, to just leave me be. And they get, that I prefer to leave them to their own devices, as well. We're both happiest this way, and this is how it actually plays out, in real life.

And you know something? These Christians (you're not among them) that obsess over homosexuality, would do well to mimic other Christians who simply choose to let me, the dirty atheist, go about my day. From an outsider's perspective, it just looks weird, when somebody obsesses over a singular issue.

"Methinks the lady doth protest too much", as a wise man once said.

In other words the dude is gay

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think homosexuals are obsessed with homosexuality the only time I hear Christians discussing this issue is when they are asked about it or they are responding to a thread here in GD.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I only go to gay bars for the free drinks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bullshit. God DESTROYED 2 cities in part because of their homosexuality.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think homosexuals are obsessed with homosexuality the only time I hear Christians discussing this issue is when they are asked about it or they are responding to a thread here in GD.

Or when they purposely move to major ghey areas, for evangelical reasons (reportedly...). Either way.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

To wash the taste out of your mouth?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That he did, according to the good book. And yet, San Francisco and Columbus still stand...

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question.

this

He won't answer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I remeber it was a bit worse then just homosexuality

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The unvarnished truth is that it's an easy distinction to draw that often crosses the line into self-righteousness.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question.

this

He won't answer.

Wonder why?
Mormon stole his girl?
A baptist banged his sister?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Or when they purposely move to major ghey areas, for evangelical reasons (reportedly...). Either way.

Could be true It's hard to say why some people do what they do. I do know that most Christian folks I know are really good people and are willing to help others no questions asked.
Are their people who do evil deeds in the name of Christianity? Fuck yeah. But those people are usually unmasked by the people they pretend to represent.

Most Christians keep their views to themselves. Liberals / progressives in society try to cram shit down their throats in order to elicit a negative response so they can step up on their hi horse and scream how unfair God and Christians are just so they can advance their own political agenda. IMO of course
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

His only reason for being is to piss off teh Christians...and he's good at it.

His sig line should be, "Baiting ARFCOM's Christians since 2001"

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Another fair question, really. 0ldGuy, you really do demonstrate kind of a pattern...

Really?

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That he did, according to the good book. And yet, San Francisco and Columbus still stand...

Don't forget West Hollywood.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To wash the taste out of your mouth?

Bastage!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

Dude, really. Slow your roll.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems remarkably similar to an admission to trolling made by _A former member.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So Rick Santorum hasn't been on the offensive lo these many years then?  But I guess you've never heard of him.  Perhaps you've heard of a certain Michele Bachmann who, in her illustrious past, has done more than "discuss" the issue of homosexuality? Yup, I'm sure she and her ilk were all baited into "discussing" homosexuality.  But maybe those are bad examples because apparently you have never heard of them, or any other conservative Christians, who bring up the subject of homosexuality and their disdain for it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm just puzzled that anyone would flock to Chitcago for anything.

It's always been 2nd tier to NYC. See a game @ Wrigley, look out the Sears Tower, walk out & back on the Pier and buy overpriced ho-hum fare at the 'Taste'?

Politics aside, it's just not that interesting a place.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The unvarnished truth is that it's an easy distinction to draw that often crosses the line into self-righteousness.

Sadly, yes.

I am 100% opposed, morally speaking, to homosexuality. Legally? Eh, do what you want, I just don't want the state to give it the same blessing they give marriage.

(If anybody quotes me and responds to that last part, in this thread, I won't respond, because I only say it to set up the next part:)

To wit:

Lots of Christians - I have been guilty of this - try to turn Christianity into a series of rules we can follow, instead of a recognition that we've failed to follow them all and stand in need of redemption.

For some, no drinking becomes their thing, for others, it's homosexuality, wearing certain types of clothing, whatever. While all matters of sin should be addressed, when you come to focus on the (suppose) evils of one particular sin, which happens to be one you don't partake of, well, you're probably falling into self-righteousness.

By the way, all y'all should go see http://www.courageousthemovie.com/ this week.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So Rick Santorum hasn't been on the offensive lo these many years then?  But I guess you've never heard of him.  Perhaps you've heard of a certain Michele Bachmann who, in her illustrious past, has done more than "discuss" the issue of homosexuality? Yup, I'm sure she and her ilk were all baited into "discussing" homosexuality.  But maybe those are bad examples because apparently you have never heard of them, or any other conservative Christians, who bring up the subject of homosexuality and their disdain for it.

ironic s/n ya got there....are you familiar?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And here he admits to being a troll...Dave_A got banned for this.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top