Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2011 4:51:03 AM EDT
Getting ready to take a months worth of trips.

I have a viewsonic GTablet that I am running Cyanogen on.  

If you do a google search for "dvd ripper", you get the phonebook thrown at you of software you have never heard of.  

What do you guys use?

(NOTE TO THE MODS: This is for personal use, and is nowhere near as nefarious as posting a woman's breast on here...)
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:56:09 AM EDT
[#1]
You can use handbrake to convert video to whatever specs your device supports.

I don't know of any good dvd ripping software though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:05:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

+1

Handbrake is the tool of choice.

It rips directly from your DVD source and converts to final output device.

For my CM7 Nook Color, I'm ripping to MP4 container (baseline H.264 codec) @ 1350kbps dual pass encoding.  On the 7" screen, images are damn near perfect.  (And I'm OCD about these things; if you're not, you can cut the bitrate down and save space)

E.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:10:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

For my CM7 Nook Color, I'm ripping to MP4 container (baseline H.264 codec) @ 1350kbps dual pass encoding.  On the 7" screen, images are damn near perfect.  (And I'm OCD about these things; if you're not, you can cut the bitrate down and save space)

E.

DVD Catalyst is better than Handbrake
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:11:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

E.

Ah I didn't know handbrake could rip directly from DVD.

To the poster above me:  Handbrake is (legally) free.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:14:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

E.

DVD Catalyst is better than Handbrake

Oh, I should have clarified.

"Tool of choice for ME, as I am running on OS X."

There may be better Windows based tools, but I've found that the uniformity of Handbrake being on both platforms has helped me many times.  (There are users on both sides of the fence, so that increases the available knowledge pool to draw from when you run into 'difficult' DVD ripping scenarios like Disney discs and the like)  YMMV.

E.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

E.

Yes, the latest version is actually very title track aware;  it can sense when fake title tracks have been inserted as filler and will autoselect the appropriate track.  (I always double check before ripping though)

And the price is another point I hadn't thought about, and somewhat have taken for granted.  It's FREE!!  

E.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:19:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

E.

it cant rip dvd natively. You also need to download vlc media player. Then it will wofrk seamlessly
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:21:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

(NOTE TO THE MODS: This is for personal use, and is nowhere near as nefarious as posting a woman's breast on here...)

Unlike a CD, it's illegal to rip a DVD even if you own it.

That said, I use Handbrake to encode my .avi's into .mp4
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Soooo,.... Handbrake will go from DVD straight to MP4 that can be viewed on android?  (Or do I still need to do something with the encryption?)
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Google Magic DVD Ripper. I've been using it for years and does exactly what you need. You can rip to almost any type of movie file and make a DVD copy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:40:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unlike a CD, it's illegal to rip a DVD even if you own it.

That said, I use Handbrake to encode my .avi's into .mp4

Jury's still out on that.  I think there's still some question as to whether defeating CSS for personal fair use is indeed a violation of the DMCA.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:42:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought dvd catalist 4 on line from the creator for 9.99$  It works great, has copied and converted every dvd I've put in, and was made specifically tablets.  And it is legal.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:44:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I used hand beak to rip dvd's to iPod.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Soooo,.... Handbrake will go from DVD straight to MP4 that can be viewed on android and/or iPad?? (Or do I still need to do something with the encryption?)
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

E.

it cant rip dvd natively. You also need to download vlc media player. Then it will wofrk seamlessly

Interesting;  That must be a Windows specific version limitation.  OS X version is a one stop solution.

E.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soooo,.... Handbrake will go from DVD straight to MP4 that can be viewed on android and/or iPad?? (Or do I still need to do something with the encryption?)

It has been a couple years since I have done it, but it did convert it straight to MP4.  I remember looking up a tutorial online.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I've always used VLC. It's not snazzy but it works.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Handbrake is slooooooow for me.

If I were inclined to create temporary digital copies of my own DVDs to watch on the ipad or phone while traveling, I would use the somewhat expensive programs AnyDVD and CloneDVD Mobile.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Freemake Video Converter

Look it up. Has default presets for file types and resolutions for conversion. Excellent UI. Way better than Handbrake (I used to use Handbrake).

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Freemake Video Converter

Look it up. Has default presets for file types and resolutions for conversion. Excellent UI. Way better than Handbrake (I used to use Handbrake).

WORKING LIKE A CHARM.  Thank you all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top