Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/2/2011 4:30:04 AM EDT
The fat lady is warming up her voice.  

His ratings are in the toilet, TBS is getting ready to give him the ax.  He can't even beat the ratings of George Lopez who's time slot he took.  The best they can say about his show is "It's very popular on the internet."  

I was never a fan.  His brand of humor is directed at too narrow an audience and his ratings reflect it.  Mother Angelica on EWTN draws more of an audience.

See you later Conan.  Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:40:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Who?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:57:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:58:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I like his show, but not enough to make a point of watching it.

I guess that's why it's going away.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:58:59 AM EDT
[#4]
All talk shows suck.
All talk shows are  liberal.
Fook all of those Hollywood assholes...
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:02:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I think Coco is funny, just never seem to watch the show regularly for some reason.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:03:01 AM EDT
[#6]
That fucker needs to just go away...maybe sell newspapers.....so where is his liberal base and supporters...and that dumbfuck lopez he complains about this country so bad why don't he just move the fuck out...maybe he can live with johnny depp..
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:04:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't watch that much tv anymore.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:16:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I liked him on Late Night.      I went back to night shift so I never get to see his show anymore.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:17:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Conan is a million times funnier than Letterman or Leno.  Been watching Conan for as long as I can remember.  I don't think TBS is going to ax the show, but who knows?  I guess they could always put another Tyler Perry sitcom in there.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:21:40 AM EDT
[#10]
There is absolutely nothing funny about this man, other than his looks and stupid voice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:24:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Leno > Letterman > Conan
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:27:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ferguson > Leno > Letterman > Conan

Amended.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:30:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Amended.

Craig Ferguson is the only one of them that actually makes me laugh.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:32:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Conan is a million times funnier than Letterman or Leno.  Been watching Conan for as long as I can remember.  I don't think TBS is going to ax the show, but who knows?  I guess they could always put another Tyler Perry sitcom in there.

Leno has an average of 5 to 7 million viewers per night.  Conan has less than 500k.  TBS is cutting its losses and dropping Conan like a steamy turd.  It won't be long until he is back to being a staff writer for the Harvard Lampoon.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:33:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amended.

Yep. If I happen to be up, I'll watch his show. The others? Not so much.

He's the only one with a decent monologue. Everyone else cracks lame one liners surrounding pop culture news of the day, and he more or less does a light stand up routine. Every night. And when he interviews guests, I'm actually interested.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:38:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Amended.

Yep. If I happen to be up, I'll watch his show. The others? Not so much.

He's the only one with a decent monologue. Everyone else cracks lame one liners surrounding pop culture news of the day, and he more or less does a light stand up routine. Every night. And when he interviews guests, I'm actually interested.

I do wish he would get rid of the stupid skeleton though. Not funny at all.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:39:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't even have TBS
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:54:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I sure hope not. Conan is the only talk show I watch.  DVR it every night.

I don't watch the guest interviews every time, because sometimes I don't care about the guests, but the first half of the show is great.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:56:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Conan is OK,,,in small doses.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Craig Ferguson > Conan O'Brian

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amended.

I was part of Team Coco, but when he went off the air, I stated watching the GP and the Ferg, and haven't been back

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:25:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I like his show, but not enough to make a point of watching it.

I guess that's why it's going away.

uh, whut???
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#23]
how about jimmy fallon? at least he's funnier than jimmy fallon, right?

conan's always been very quirky. putting him on regular late night is like putting dennis miller on monday night football - both are too cool for the room.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Talk show greatness ended with Carson's departure.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#25]
He's made enough money to be pretty much set for life anyway.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amended.

Ferguson is the only one I watch out of those. I like him.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Talk show greatness ended with Carson's departure.

This

and Ferguson is funnier and more intelligent than the rest combined.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Never was a fan of Conan, maybe because I am older and grew up watching the King, Johnny Carson.

Letterman use to be entertaining back in the 1980s. Leno just tries to hard and will have maybe one or two actually funny comments for an entire show.

I think some of the problem with talk shows is the celebrities now days are shallow air heads who can't keep up a conversation beyond mindless chatter of thier latest movie. Back in Carson's day he would have two or three A list celebs sitting on stage at one time bustin each others balls, telling stories, and not worried about what their press agents wanted them to promote.

The modern celebs will never have the charm and class of Old Hollywood.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#29]

Jimmy Kimmel is the only funny guy on tv who has the balls to make fun of Obama on a regular basis.

fuck the rest

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Amended.

i'm not sure what his politics are but i know he freakin' LOVES america like only an immigrant can.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Leno has an average of 5 to 7 million viewers per night.  Conan has less than 500k.  TBS is cutting its losses and dropping Conan like a steamy turd.  It won't be long until he is back to being a staff writer for the Harvard Lampoon.

humans are no different than cattle when it comes to habit that's why these entertainers fight for time slots because people are used to tuning in at a certain time and certain place, content usually in moot. Leno is a horrible comedian/actor but for 55+ years people have tuned into NBC after their local news.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Amended.

Yep. That dude is funny... The rest blow. Kimmel is not horrible, Fallon is totally unwatchable.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Amended.

i'm not sure what his politics are but i know he freakin' LOVES america like only an immigrant can.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's likely left of center (he lives in LA, he's in show business, and he's from Scotland...). It doesn't really matter though, because whatever he is politically, he doesn't wear it on his sleeve, and he's very funny and entertaining - which are things I value in my entertainers.

EDIT: And his love for America is infectious.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't even have TBS

I think the last thing I watched on it was Braves baseball 20 years ago.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
CARSON >Leno > Letterman > Conan

FIFY.

Still miss Johnny after all these years.  When he left the Tonight Show, I tried to watch the others (repeatedly) but they're all just hack wannabees in my book.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

If I had to guess, I'd say he's likely left of center (he lives in LA, he's in show business, and he's from Scotland...). It doesn't really matter though, because whatever he is politically, he doesn't wear it on his sleeve, and he's very funny and entertaining - which are things I value in my entertainers.

I'd say that was a fair assessment. Probably accurate, for the most part.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:10:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just because someone is more popular, it doesn't make them better at what they do.  See Leno.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:57:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Amended.

EDIT: And his love for America is infectious.

He does wear his love for America on his sleeve:

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:59:32 AM EDT
[#39]
There are just too many of these shows; Leno, Letterman, Fallon, Conan, etc, etc...
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:11:01 AM EDT
[#40]
but but but but, they all said he was so funny and better than Leno!
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:28:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't watch tv religiously, but I could never stand Leno. I think the number you quoted are very telling. The higher IQ's are held in a minority of the population.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:38:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't watch tv religiously, but I could never stand Leno. I think the number you quoted are very telling. The higher IQ's are held in a minority of the population.

No, not that way at all.  It has nothing to do with IQ but more (as far as Leno is concerned) to do with audience.  Leno appeals to a wider audience but also he has the cherished "Tonight Show" time slot.  There are generations of Americans who were raised watching the tonight show and will continue to do so.  Conan appeals to a very narrow segment of the audience.  Data shows they are mostly college aged men who "get" his brand of humor.  I don't, but I don't consider myself a "hipster" which is exactly his target audience.  

I admittedly don't watch much late night TV anymore either.  I used to love watching Carson when I was younger.  In college Letterman was the man but he has grown stale and out of touch with everything.  Leno is much the same way.  

Unfortunately for Conan, he just can't deliver the ratings no matter how much money they dump into the show.  His commercials are teh suck and are reminiscent of the last round of creepy Burger King commercials.  They appeal to his fans but do nothing to attract new audiences which is key for him to keep his job.  Frankly, he was asked to come up with a new and exciting show for TBS, one that would bring in the viewers and ratings.  He brought a re-tooled version of his old show aimed directly at his old waning audience.  He is a one trick pony who is relying on his quirky looks and non-funny pantomime dances/bits to deliver, and it doesn't.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:44:03 AM EDT
[#43]
His brother is the barbarian? sorry, but thats all I think of when I see his name...
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:48:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Ferguson>Kimmel>Conan>Leno>Letterman>Lopez>Fallon

Anyone ever watch Carson Daly? That's a REAL talk show.

The problem I have with Leno is that he really toned down his stand-up routine for prime time and got boring and vanilla.

Letterman was edgier but then he went full retard to port.

Lopez went all La Raza.

Fallon was just a smarmy conceited little shitbird from the get-go.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:48:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

No, not that way at all.  It has nothing to do with IQ but more (as far as Leno is concerned) to do with audience.  Leno appeals to a wider audience but also he has the cherished "Tonight Show" time slot.  There are generations of Americans who were raised watching the tonight show and will continue to do so.  Conan appeals to a very narrow segment of the audience.  Data shows they are mostly college aged men who "get" his brand of humor.  I don't, but I don't consider myself a "hipster" which is exactly his target audience.  

I admittedly don't watch much late night TV anymore either.  I used to love watching Carson when I was younger.  In college Letterman was the man but he has grown stale and out of touch with everything.  Leno is much the same way.  

Unfortunately for Conan, he just can't deliver the ratings no matter how much money they dump into the show.  His commercials are teh suck and are reminiscent of the last round of creepy Burger King commercials.  They appeal to his fans but do nothing to attract new audiences which is key for him to keep his job.  Frankly, he was asked to come up with a new and exciting show for TBS, one that would bring in the viewers and ratings.  He brought a re-tooled version of his old show aimed directly at his old waning audience.  He is a one trick pony who is relying on his quirky looks and non-funny pantomime dances/bits to deliver, and it doesn't.

Bullseye.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:02:20 AM EDT
[#46]
TBS is promoting the shit out of that guy. Of all the promos I see, I haven't laughed at a single thing.  Haven't watched him in years...
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Conan had the most coveted time slot and still sunk the ratings. Never thought I'd say this, but I do kinda like Jimmy Kimmel.

Brad
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I think Coco is funny, just never seem to watch the show regularly for some reason.

Same here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Most of the problem with his show could be solved by moving it back 30 minutes so that it is up against Leno and Letterman in the same time slot. People in the eastern and central time zones watch local news and then tune to whatever late night comedy show is on that they like. I don't watch Conan because I am watching the news when his show starts. If it started at 11:30, I would probably watch half of it instead of Leno.

He can't go up against late local news and expect people to tune into the last half of his show.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Amended.

Craigy Ferg is definitely way better than Leno and Letterman, plus his boy Geoff is hilarious.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top