Link Posted: 6/11/2002 3:32:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Brake Cleaner.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 3:44:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Brake Cleaner.
View Quote

Just don't use Brake Fluid. Not only will it remove the sap but it will also remove the paint.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#3]
turpentine?
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Rubbing Alchol?  

Just on the sap.

Bug and tar remover?  

I have also heard mayo is good for tar, it softens it up, and then the washing with soap gets it off. leave on for a while, say 20-30 mins.    

Dawn soap is good, but wil take off any wax on the car.

When I am ready to wax my ride, I wash the car down in dawn soap.  Leave it on for a couple of mins.  That stuff gets the bugs off the front.  Then start the waxing.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Park the car in Texas for 6 months. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#6]
They make several diffrent cleaners specifically for removing tar/bugs w/out damaging the paint. You can find them at any autoparts stores, by the wax. Anything that will remove the tar, will also remove the wax, so you'll ahve to rewax the spot anyway. . .. I'd be leary of using harsh cleaners (brake) on the paint, tough I've spilt gas on the side of my car and wipped it off w/out damaging anything . .. so they MAY be ok.  .. .

-Justin
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#7]
12 ga with slugs. 00buck will work in a pinch. Of course, you may want to drive out of town to do this, as your neighbors may not be familiar with this method of pine sap removal. [shotgun]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are really concerned about your paint you can try Mothers Pre-wax cleaner.  It gets off a lot of crap without anything harsh.  I would just use bug and tar remover and some elbow grease.  Just re-wax the area after using any chemical to remove it.  Good luck.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe Goop Hand Cleaner or WD40 would work.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Clay bar.

You can get them at automotive stores.

Made by Mother's, Meguires, etc.

It will remove tree sap, overspray, and other impurities on your paint.

It will leave it baby smooth.

Then polish and wax.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Diesel.What ever you do stay away from laquer thinner if you have a clear coat on the paint.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Turtle Wax makes a bug and tar remover that is clear coat safe. From my experience, it works really good. I think it uses some kind of a citrus solvent like some hand cleaners but doesn't contain abrasives.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Haven't done this in years, and so not sure if the forumla has changed but, ARMOR ALL protectant works if the sap is still pliable. Dissolves it slowly.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I've used rubbing alcohol to clean pine tar off of chainsaws , steering wheel , hands and arms on NUMEROUS occassions. 'Cuts' it real good and is only 30 cents a bottle.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#15]
OOPS¨ "All Purpose Remover" might do the job.  It states it has little effect on oil based paints, varnishes, lacquers and shellac.  I used it on glue spots on my new vinyl windows and it worked great.  It contains ethyl alcohol, naptha, xylene, and monochloro-toluene.  It's main claim is removing dried latex paint, but also lists tar, lipstick, shoe polish, ball point ink, magic marker, oil, grease and crayons.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I haul a bit of firewood in my pickup and had to clean all the sap out before having it LineXed.  Two things for you to try:  WD40, works slow, but seems to break down the sap without damage to the paint.  GOOF OFF, I bought some at Home Depoe.  I wore gloves with this stuff; it smells nasty.  It didn't affect the paint on the metal, but it did start to take off the paint that was on the sealer they used on the joints.  The GOOF OFF took off the sap pretty fast with only minimal rubbing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top