Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2002 12:11:06 AM EDT

OK, it's PRETTY clean now, but there's still a film, outside (mostly) and in, on the windshield & side windows.  Haven't gotten to the back yet.

So far, the following have been tried:

20/10
Off-brand windex
Vinegar
Ammonia
Alcohol
Naptha

All with paper towels.  Then I thought it might be something in the paper, so I switched to an old cotton t-shirt.  Still a problem.

I guess next I'll try genuine Windex and/or maybe dish soap.  AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Try using newspaper. Something about the texture.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:25:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Coke will take-off some of the film that cleaners leave behind.  Years ago (I'm sure the stuff is illegal now), I used circuit board cleaner to remove some of the haze from the inside of the glass.  It's the only thing that I've found that will work.  Too bad I've used it up.z
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:27:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Aqua regia
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:41:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Try using newspaper. Something about the texture.
View Quote

Tried a sheet, but it might have had stuff on it from being on the deck a while.

Considered various solvents.  Hmmm.  Brake cleaner.

Isn't aqua regia the 2 kinds of acid mixed, or something?  Bad stuff, but thanks for the thought.  And I'll pass on the hydrofluoric, thank you.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:51:21 AM EDT
[#5]
try rain-x, works for me.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:52:18 AM EDT
[#6]
The absolute cleaner for glass is acid.

Citric might work, nitric is a better chance, the sure-fire way is hydrochloric... but guessing the strength is problematical.

Too strong you burn the glass, too weak and nothing happens... but then again you aren't doing telescope lenses.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:53:11 AM EDT
[#7]
My summer job thru  Jr High was @ a carwash...

Ammonia cleaner and [b]B&W NEWSPAPER[/b] (NO COLORS!)
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#8]
You mean straight non-detergent ammonia?

Maybe I could try the citric, too.  Thought about Coke but figured the vinegar should have the same effect.

Another thought.  There's a chance some coolant got on there when the plastic outlet failed. Grrr!

Once got some anti-freeze on the truck's windshield and it was hell getting that stuff off.

Anyway, thanks for all these tips.  I'll try again before work.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 1:17:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I think I read once that Bon Ami? a cleanser which won't hurt the glass would clean off film.  Don't take my word on it though but I am sure Checker or Auto-Zone sells a glass stripper that removes oils, silicone and such.    
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 2:16:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 3:14:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Several years ago I tried a paste product that worked very well.  I noticed that it smelled, looked and felt like Crest toothpaste.  Been using Crest since.

Eddie
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 3:32:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think I read once that Bon Ami? a cleanser which won't hurt the glass would clean off film.  Don't take my word on it though but I am sure Checker or Auto-Zone sells a glass stripper that removes oils, silicone and such.    
View Quote

I needed to remove Rain-X from my windshield because it was causing SEVERE wiper arm chatter  ( this stuff works great on airplanes at 600mph and NO wiper... )
The Rain-X site says to use Bon-Ami to remove the Rain-X.
I also replaced the wiper arm refills ( 'blades' ) and it took a couple of days of rain and road grit to finish the job.
Good luck.  Try Bon-Ami.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#13]
The ultimate glass cleaner for cars is called "Bar Keeps Friend" I think you can get it at restaurant supply stores. It is used by professionals and body shops and will not scratch glass at all.

I had a car in storage for 3 years and it had that unremovable film on it. I used this stuff and it was cleaner than the day the car left the factory.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Eddie's Crest reminded me that back in scuba training, we were told to clean our new masks with a non-gel toothpaste to remove oils and other materials that might be left after manufacture.  It was also supposed to help prevent fogging.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:12:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I've tried everything, all to no avail. Here's the answer: [b][u]Bon Ami Cleansing Powder[/u][/b]

It's very similar to Ajax powder cleanser but much less abrasive. Wet your windshield, sprinkle Bon Ami on it, scrub windshield with lint free cloth, wash off residue. That's all there's to it. The results are fabulous.

FYI BMW recommends this procedure for their windshields. See link:
[url]http://www.garageboy.com/bmw/bonami.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I have had great luck with 000 or preferably 0000 steel wool and a quality glass cleaner. Floow it up by 3 coats of rain-X.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm happy to say your search is over.
[url]http://www.zainobros.com/files/info.htm#anchor38917[/url]
Zaino Z-12 CLEAR-VIEW GLASS POLISH

Finally, a glass cleaner and polish that really works. We have yet to find a stain that it did not remove. Formulated with modified cleaners and mild abrasives, that deep cleans and polishes all glass surfaces. Removes acid rain, water spots, road film, stubborn stains, annoying interior glass film and fine to medium scratches. This product will remove plasticizing (the hazy film that attaches to the inside of the windshield on all late model vehicles) in one application. Leaves glass crystal clear and sparkling. You will think the glass disappeared. Will not scratch or distort glass. Great for restoring old windshields

BTW: [b]Z-2 SHOW CAR POLISH FOR CLEAR COATED FINISHES[/b] is the finest polish around. Recommended by just about anyone who tries it. There are testimonials on places like LS1.com and Stangnet.net
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Were you cleaning the windows in the sun? If the glass is too hot, the cleaner tends to evaporate before you can wipe if off and that leaves a film. You need to clean in the shade, preferably after dark when it cools down a little.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Many times there are layers of crud (car fluids, industrial fallout, bugs, bird and tree droppings etc.) you cannot cut through with cleaners. When I was painting and detailing cars the best way I found was to use a single edge razor blade and scrape the entire window.  You'd be amazed at how much stuff will come off a "clean" window with this method.  Follow up with car polish without wax, just but plain polishing compound for new paint.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Razor blade trick works good but it's *tedious*.

It sounds like you have two films, one outside, one it.  The outside film is most likely car wax from the auto car washes.  Use dish soap on it.  Dish soap will strip the wax layer right off.  

The inside film is supposedly chemicals from the plastic in your dash as it oxidizes. I've had pretty good luck with plain windex.  I'm guessing most of your film is car wash wax so give the dish soap a whack.

crash.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've tried everything, all to no avail. Here's the answer: [b][u]Bon Ami Cleansing Powder[/u][/b]

It's very similar to Ajax powder cleanser but much less abrasive. Wet your windshield, sprinkle Bon Ami on it, scrub windshield with lint free cloth, wash off residue. That's all there's to it. The results are fabulous.

FYI BMW recommends this procedure for their windshields. See link:
[url]http://www.garageboy.com/bmw/bonami.html[/url]
View Quote

Just make sure you use the Bon Ami [b]Cleaning Powder[/b] (not Cleanser). You might have to go to a hardware store to find it. Rain-X even recommends it to remove Rain-X from your windshield.

[url]http://www.bonami.com/Products.asp?DepartmentA=Home+Products&theProd=Bon+Ami+Cleaning+Cake+and+Bon+Ami+Cleaning+Powder[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top