Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2011 4:04:48 PM EDT
We're having a maintenance shut-down and I'm "scheduled" to work a minimum of 11 hours a day until further notice...weekends included. The last time we did this, I worked mostly 16's back-to-back. The boss said that this shut-down will be worse as far as long hours are concerned.

I was thinking of starting my morning off with a bit of sunrise fishing and then later in the afternoon.....firing up the grill with a few brews.

What does ARF think I should do on my last day off?

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Go shoot at stuff
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
It's hunting season. I'd spend my last day off finding another job!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

"I'm giving you extra hours"

"Fuck that, I want a new job"

Wait.. what?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I ready "years" instead of "weeks". I nearly choked.

That said, 4 week turnarounds are fun, and you stand to make a ton of money. 8 weekers are rough. I just got off of a 6 week startup, away from the wife and 18 month-old except on Saturdays.

Are you away from home?

Back to the original question... your plans sound just fine to me. Be sure the grill has brats, burgers, AND steaks. You'll begin to miss real food.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]
This week I had my first days off since the first weekend in august.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We're having a maintenance shut-down and I'm "scheduled" to work a minimum of 11 hours a day until further notice...weekends included. The last time we did this, I worked mostly 16's back-to-back. The boss said that this shut-down will be worse as far as long hours are concerned.

I was thinking of starting my morning off with a bit of sunrise fishing and then later in the afternoon.....firing up the grill with a few brews.

Hookers & blow FTW
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Makes a lot of sense in this economy and 4 weeks isnt a long time for working straight through.
Im in the oilfield and regularly do 30-60 day hitches with 12-20 hour days. No big deal and the money
at the end will be nice to either save, or throw towards a new AR or PTR91
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#8]
fap until your arm cramps?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was thinking of starting my morning off with a bit of sunrise fishing and then later in the afternoon.....firing up the grill with a few brews. get laid and go shooting too

I added a little to the list
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd be trying trying to find out what I was going to spend my money on.  But doing that while fishing sounds like a good idea.  I miss the  84 hour paychecks I used to get but I don't miss working them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

VERY BAD IDEA...

Tragedy struck the inhabitants of Rubiataba, in the interior of Goiás. A 16 year old teenager died after masturbating 42 times non-stop. According to testimony (Doesn't say from who, presumably the mother) he started around midnight and spent all night masturbating continuously. He would 'finish' one and start the next.

http://www.g17.com.br/noticia.php?id=99
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#12]
You hourly or salary?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You hourly or salary?

Id hope he was hourly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

...and when it does, switch arms.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You hourly or salary?

Id hope he was hourly.

I'm salary.  Last shutdown I went through was a lot of extra hours, with no extra compensation.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You hourly or salary?

Id hope he was hourly.

I'm salary.  Last shutdown I went through was a lot of extra hours, with no extra compensation.

That's rough! I'm also salary and work 12+hrs a day but at least get my weekends off.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Do nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  Nothing rocks.  Doing nothing for an entire day would make me a happy man.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Monday I start working 6 days a week for a month and I'm salary so no OT.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep....we are paid well. (For this area, anyway).....I am hourly at just under 30 per hour.

eta: The best week I've had there (if you can call it that) was 112 hours. I didn't make those 7-16's the next. I was a ZOMBIE. I think I made around 90. The two-week check blew me away. I'll take this over sitting in a tree waiting for Mr. Bighorn anyday....and I love hunting.

Oh yeah, the wife thing and shooting was added to my tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:44:24 AM EDT
[#20]
What type of maintenance do you do?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:56:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Have sex.

Preferably with a partner.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:41:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Multi-skilled Millwright for International Paper in Augusta, Ga....pump installation and alignments, pipe work, welding stuff, installing bearings, etc.
It's a fun job that I have worked up to over the years as an Operations and Maintenance Technician.

Later....I'm off to the range for some much needed peace and quiet.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#23]
4 weeks is nothing ,one year I worked a whole year straight no days off except Christmas day and New Years.  THAT SUCKED !!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top