Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/1/2011 2:36:45 PM EDT
One of the things that always jumps-out when discussing immigration (Legal/Illegal/Hispanic/Muslim/Eastern European/African ETC) in what's "generally"

referred to as "The West" is that WE have failed to maintain a birthrate that keeps-up with or exceeds our mortality rates (The United States, The Brits,

Germany, France....whatever) and that THAT necessitates an increasing number of folks from other cultures who (for whatever reason?) still seem to

see having "larger" families (to make up for the attrition in the workforce) as a good thing?

Is it an educational issue or a cultural/religious one?  It seems to be a recurring theme in some of the arguments and I was just curious.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
In general, educated folks have fewer kids.  The west is generally more educated than the rest of the world.

It is a sad thing, but I'm as guilty as any.  My wife & I have only one child.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#2]
People who view children as a resource are more likely to have more of them than those who do not.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]
At some point we've found better things to do that spit out babies by the dozen.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
People who view children as a resource are more likely to have more of them than those who do not.

yup, i view children as a financial liability

maybe i'll come around on this issue at some point
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Because we actually pay for our kids.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#6]
People's priorities are off. Mine have changed over time, but slowly. I hope to raise my kids to value family, including the responsibilities and sacrifices inherent in having kids.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]
We had 3 kids, doing our part are you? Would you like to know more?.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Too much fun to have.

Mexicans being poor have nothing to do but practice throwing chancletas at little Jose with the upmost accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Frequently it's one of three things:

1. Selfishness

2. Belief that giving their child(ren) more stuff is the key to their happiness and well being

3. Reproductive health issues (usually women, but not always) due to waiting until later in life to start having children

That's not everyone, but it's a large percentage.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I plan to have 4 to 8 children.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#11]
the cost of living have gone up so that it is more difficult to have a stay at home mom, and or 3+ children.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Abortion
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.

Both of my parents came from LARGE farm families.

They had lots of free farmhand labor.

That was way back in the days of plow horses and walk behind plows.

Today, we have tractors.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

We had 3 kids, doing our part are you? Would you like to know more?.....
To be honest, I guess I'm part of the "Problem".  I've got one boy.  Between My 3 brothers and I we've had 5 kiddo's.  Our parents and the 12 aunts and

uncles just one generation before us (On both sides of the family) kicked out over 50 kids in the 60's and 70's.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Because ain't nobody kickin bags of rice and boxes of MRE's out the back of a 6X when we can't afford to feed ourselves and our kids.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Couple of things:

Feminism - doubling the workforce increased supply of labor, driving down the cost of labor.  Thus employees get paid less and require 2 incomes to match the earnings of before.

Government intervention into student aid/loans - this has driven up the cost of college.  For middle income folks who don't qualify for student aid, you need that much more income to be able to afford college.

Spoiled, jealous people - everyone needs a McMansion and a couple German cars in their driveway.  

Then you have the people that are having kids that don't have a job, their children aren't going to college and the gov't provides their housing while they spend what should be retirement savings on new 22" rims for their 90's era chevy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting video covering the low birthrates of the West and what it will cause for the future of its culture

Muslim Demographics

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Abortion

Not sure about that.  I wonder what the demographics of abortion are in the US.  I guess that in Europe, where 40 years ago you had large homogenous populations you're probably right.

Birth control has certainly contributed a lot.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#19]
It's heredity
If your parents didn't have any children then chances are you wouldn't either.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Watch Idiocracy.

It covers quite a few of your questions.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#21]
People in the west are profit motivated and there is little profit in having children.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Exactly. As the cost of living goes up, intelligent, responsible, people have fewer kids.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Watch Idiocracy.

It covers quite a few of your questions.

This is what I was thinking also.

In my neck of the woods, the poor and the uneducated are the groups having the most kids, idiocracy is a documentry, not a comedy.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#25]
There is a direct correlation between female education levels and birthrate.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. As the cost of living goes up, intelligent, responsible, people have fewer kids.

All generalizations are false.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

This.

Raising 2 kids is very expensive.  I don't spoil my kids, but they live a good life.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#29]
There is a direct correlation between female education levels and birthrate.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#30]

I updated the page and this what was on there.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Here are my suspicions:

Move from rural/agrarian farming to suburban/urban living.  You don't need 6-10 kids to tend the yard when before they're slop the hogs, milk the cows, etc.  

Also the increase of the mortality rate and life expectancy.    Before, families had so many kids because of the fact that many kids died before age 18.

Availability of conception control (improperly referred to as birth control)
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Because the "working class" can't afford to have kids because of the taxes we pay to so the gov can pay the non-workers to have all the kids they want for free.
Then when we have 3rd World demographics in the USA, we get to have 3rd World government.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Because kids are a PITA.  If you're a dirt-poor farmer, you have kids because they're cheap labor.  If you don't need a bunch of kids growing up to work the farm... why?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#34]
commie demoralization, commie policies forcing women into the workforce, commie laws encouraging abortion
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#35]

I have done more than my share.

Raising Protestant, conservative, athletic, smart whites with a work ethic and their heads screwed on straight.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#36]
3 kids here.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#37]
It's a vagina not a clown car

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#38]
kids are money pits!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#39]
"Not having enough children" is just another excuse people use to justify mass and ILLEGAL immigration. Do you really think that a poor farmer in Pakistan can "breed his way to success"?? If population = prosperity then India and China would be utopias and Norway and Canada would be devastated wastelands. (actually I think Canada is a third world country. I mean it has milk in bags right?)
But the plain fact is this - America has and always had one priority - the all mighty dollar. All unintended consequences are ignored.
Its just cheaper and more profitable to hire illegals who live in hovels than it is to pay a decent wage. It also depresses the wages of others in the area. THIS IS A KNOWN FACT. Why do you think they imported so many slaves into America? In the name of Multi-culturalism?

So they use all sorts of CRAP to try and "win hearts and minds", both liberals AND big business.

Oh so you don't like how your area is now like living in the third world? Well here's a sad documentary about struggling illegal people who just want to have a decent life. *queue violin music* Now don't you feel bad?.............RACIST!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I plan to have 4 to 8 children.
You must make tons of money....

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a great idea.  All us conservatives, let's stop having kids and just enjoy life.  That way the future is communism.  Yay!

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I can't afford kids.

Need a house first.   Got 19k in the bank, but plan on saving more.    Need to sell my car and get a truck.  Or toss my car in a storage garage and get a truck.   Oh look, my girlfriend is walking out the front door.     I couldn't hear, but she mumbled something about not enough steaks in the freezer or something.   Women don't hang around long enough for me to make kids anyways.

Why can't we live in cheaper 2-3 bedroom ranches like our grandparents had.   I don't need anything fancy.    It's amazing how much we work for things we really don't need.   I wish it was 1920.

And I'll probally lose my job Monday.       .....like a country music song.   A f'n country music song.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#43]
1.  Education/career - more people in the west wait until they've gone through college and started a career before having kids, thus they're older when they start to breed and have less kids

2.  Poor people in developing countries have lots of kids to help with farming

3.  People in the west have greater access to birth control

4.  Feminism - women work now, so they are less likely to have the time to raise kids.

4.  People in the west have greater opportunities to do other things with their lives, and more choose not to have kids so they can do other things with their lives

5.  Culture - because of all of the above, having a bunch of kids makes you seem weird to others in your culture, and people conform by having fewer kids.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#44]
yeah well women to the south are super fertile. All you have to do is walk by one of them to get them pregnant.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree, wont have em, if I cant support them!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#46]
It's not that intelligent people quit having kids...it's that idiots keep having MOAR kids.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a 401K, pension, Roth IRA, and a variety of other investments... may even get Social Security!  I don't need my wife to shit out a bunch of kids to take care of me when I'm too old to work.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the heart and soul of the issue is right there. kids are 'a liability'. not an asset.

major civilizational fail there btw, but im there with you. its a fatal disease for any culture.

demographics trumps all.

folks in europe whine about the mooslims. folks in amerika whine about the messikans.

meanwhile both groups are happily having kids and doing without some of the luxuries that westerners cant live without.

and i dont include the trash of any race or culture that spins out kids just to collect 'entitlements'.

19th century amerikans had large families. and claimed the fruited plane. their descendants sit on the couch, drink beer and eat buckets of ice cream and watch amerikan idle or dancing with the stars.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#49]
It's the Wests selfishness as well evidenced here by many posts. People can afford to have more kids, but then they won't get to go on a long vacation every year at a resort. Many are selfish and could give a rats ass what happens to their country after they are gone. People like the founding fathers who sacrificed all they had for the next generation do not exists today.

BTW I only have 2 kids, we tried to have more, but it was not to be.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

It's the Wests selfishness as well evidenced here by many posts. People can afford to have more kids, but then they won't get to go on a long vacation every year at a resort. Many are selfish and could give a rats ass what happens to their country after they are gone. People like the founding fathers who sacrificed all they had for the next generation do not exists today.

BTW I only have 2 kids, we tried to have more, but it was not to be.

I have 4. 3 are grown and on their own, and it weren't easy nor did we live high on the hog. I fault no one for not wanting to have a large family in this day and age.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top