Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2011 6:39:55 AM EDT
The friend is a doctor btw.

I was out to dinner a few weeks back with a friend who brought along his buddy, an Opthalmomogist. Somehow the discussion turned to nutrition, etc and vitamins were mentioned. The Opthalmologist said in sum and substance that taking a daily multivitamin without simultaneously eating is pointless, as you will piss the vitamins out without absorbing them into your system.

This makes no sense to me, however I'm not a doctor.

I pose the question to the hive. If I pop a multivitamin in the morning with just a cup of coffee, am I wasting my time?

I know we have doctors here, sound off lads!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#1]
My doctor buddy calls vitamins "Expensive Urine".
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#2]
vitamins digest better in the presence of actual food.  at a minimum, at least drink a glass of milk with a vitamin.  My teacher went over this in my nutrition class, and I've heard the same from several different doctors at well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:52:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Who am I to argue with the experts?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:52:14 AM EDT
[#4]
If you take them without food, you just piss them out.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Most vitamins aren't really that soliable.  I've had them pointed out to me on some of my old x-rays.  Little white specks in the intestines.   The Dr is saying that because  the extra volume of acid, and the extra amount of soak time should help break down those tough tablets.  Best to find the gummie vitamins and eat those.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Most vitamins aren't really that soliable.  I've had them pointed out to me on some of my old x-rays.  Little white specks in the intestines.   The Dr is saying that because he's thinking that the extra volume of acid, and the extra amount of soke time should help break down those tough tablets.  Best to find the gummie vitamins and eat those.

I was just going to ask if the gummies are better.

My woman buys some for our son and they are fucking delicious.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Would seem that food in your gut would allow the vitamins more time to absorb before being processed out as colorful urine...
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Most vitamins aren't really that soliable.  I've had them pointed out to me on some of my old x-rays.  Little white specks in the intestines.   The Dr is saying that because he's thinking that the extra volume of acid, and the extra amount of soke time should help break down those tough tablets.  Best to find the gummie vitamins and eat those.

Also Flintstone vitamins  Gummy vitamins are awesome!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:57:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never had them show up on my x-rays.  That may not mean much though.   Try getting a cup of HCl and dropping in a hard tablet, and a gummie ball.  See which one dissolves after 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:01:16 AM EDT
[#10]
My understanding is that unless you are malnourished (like in a 3rd world country) taking vitamins is pretty much a waste of money. Most people in first world countries get proper nutrition from the food they eat unless they eat a total shit diet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:11:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Unless you have trouble absorbing something and NEED the extra, this.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Vitamins.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#13]
vitamins are only useful if taken with carbs, youre doctor friend is correct
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:28:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I've been told this as well.  Also, some vitamins absorb far better than others.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:31:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Two doctors you personally know tell you something, and you still turn to strangers on arfcom for confirmation?  Wow.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#16]
My pharmacist boss agrees with your doctor friend.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Some vitamins are water soluble and some are fat soluble.

Taking vitamins with a meal helps you absorb both.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Taking vitamins is worthless.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:50:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Solubility is the answer.

+1

RR
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#20]
so is breathing.....

if you don't eat, you just shit that air out
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#21]
This probably coupled with increased time to digest/absorb. Your friend is correct.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Solubility is the answer.

+1

RR

To most people, eating a well balanced diet is the better solution to attain all the vitamins and minerals they need. However, if you're not going to do this, it's still a good idea to go ahead and try to get what you can of the vitamins you're missing. Supplements are also used to great effect in the elderly who cannot absorb them as readily from their food and people with deficiencies that don't respond well to modified diet.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Sometimes I listen to a doctor on the radio during the weekend and for every health problem a person has, it must be because they have a sore tooth.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#23]
It makes sense  . . . . . but . . . . if that's the case , then how is it that any medicine in a pill form works ?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It makes sense  . . . . . but . . . . if that's the case , then how is it that any medicine in a pill form works ?

There are quite a few pill-based medicines which you are advised to take with food, or on a full stomach.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Two doctors you personally know tell you something, and you still turn to strangers on arfcom for confirmation?  Wow.

Wow, are you always such a condescending ass or only when you're online?

Seriously?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#26]
girl has cancer....

a "healer" puts her on some extra high dose of vitamin "C"

girl gets better....

Dr. say it was not the "C" so she stops taking it...

cancer comes back

girl goes back on the "C"

cancer goes away again...

Dr says it is not the "C"

ask Dr about studies and he state that there are none

And there are some Doctors out there that use high vitamins dosages to cure/fix some illnesses and they work....other Doctors call these Doctors Quacks because they are not into big Pharmaceutical companies...

Pharmaceutical companies are great and they do help to save lives and offer a better quality of life for people with illnesses....

but they are still companies out there to make a profit for their shareholders period....
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

$15 for a 180 day supply comes out to 8.3 cents per day. In what world is that expensive?  Have you gone out to eat lunch lately?  Even McDonalds is around $7 for a burger, fries, and drink.  Eight cents, I think I can spare that.  Especially if it has the potential of being useful.

Do you call fire extinguishers ugly house decorations?  After all you will probably never use it before they loose their charge, so you are just wasting your money by having them around.  Same concept in my mind, both are a safety measure.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I've wondered if taking them at night might help with absorption as well.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:42:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are quite a few pill-based medicines which you are advised to take with food, or on a full stomach.

Yeah , but I thought that was to avoid a sour stomach  . . . . no?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
girl has cancer....

a "healer" puts her on some extra high dose of vitamin "C"

girl gets better....

Dr. say it was not the "C" so she stops taking it...

cancer comes back

girl goes back on the "C"

cancer goes away again...

Dr says it is not the "C"

ask Dr about studies and he state that there are none

And there are some Doctors out there that use high vitamins dosages to cure/fix some illnesses and they work....other Doctors call these Doctors Quacks because they are not into big Pharmaceutical companies...

Pharmaceutical companies are great and they do help to save lives and offer a better quality of life for people with illnesses....

but they are still companies out there to make a profit for their shareholders period....

your body absorbs it if it needs it.

cancer patients need vitamins more than your average joe.

not giving her vitamins is counterproductive
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It depends on the chemical that is trying to go from the medication into your system.  Depending on what type of chemical it is it could absorb through your stomach, your intestinal walls, and some things need other compounds to get the absorption going and the drug just sort of tags along.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
vitamins are only useful if taken with carbs, youre doctor friend is correct

That would be fat not carbs. Dietary fat is needed for the absorption of some vitamins because they are fat soluble as previously mentioned.

When taken with food they also move through your digestive track slower which gives more time for the high concentrations of different vitamins and minerals to be absorbed. Not all vitamins are created equal. A lot of the cheap one a days use synthetic versions that your body has a hard time absorbing. They can also be packed so tight so that they can get it all into one pill that they do not rapidly break apart in your digestive track which decreases absorption. Unfortunately their lack of bioavailability is not regulated by the FDA like drugs because vitamins are considered food supplements. All they have to do is show the FDA what is in them, say why it is in there, and show it isn't dangerous to your health.

Yes, you will piss out a lot of the water soluble vitamins because they are given in high doses. Your body does not readily store those vitamins so getting as much as you can each day is a good thing. The whole purpose of vitamins is to supplement your diet and make up for any areas you are lacking in.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#33]
I had this discussion in both my organic chemistry class, and A&P II, both taught by doctors they both stated that vitamins with out food is just a waste of good vitamins. Your much better off eating a balanced diet than eating a bunch of vitamins. I also work in a hospital and had this discussion with a few doctors to come to the same conclusion.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

Something tell me I would be one to you if we met.

As for the issue at hand, I was merely expressing my disbelief that a man would be told something by two people he knows to be medical doctors, and seek anonymous posters on the internet to confirm his biases against what he was told.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#35]
The way I heard it is that some vitamins are water soluble, some fat soluble.  The fat soluble ones, at least, should be taken with food.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Eat healthy food for vitamins and minerals.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#37]
About 15 years ago someone at GNC told me taking vitamins accompanied by caffeine will just flush the vits out of your system too quickly to absorb.  I'd love to find out if that is true.  Think about how many people take their vits in the morning w/ their coffee.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Dietary fat is needed for the absorption of some vitamins because they are fat soluble as previously mentioned.

The lesson I will take with me from your post:

Wrap vitamins in bacon.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dietary fat is needed for the absorption of some vitamins because they are fat soluble as previously mentioned.

Wrap vitamins in bacon.

Sounds like a winning combination to me!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question.  I might just ask my doctor next time I see him.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#41]
eat right and there is no need... just like there was no need before the corporations made them for profit, and the doctors jumped into the corporate pocket ...
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
eat right and there is no need... just like there was no need before the corporations made them for profit, and the doctors jumped into the corporate pocket ...

It's like a conspiracy man.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#43]
I rarely eat breakfast , but almost always take a multi-vitamin every morning .

If I run out , and its a few days before I get another bottle , I DO feel a little sluggish . . . . noticeably so.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrap vitamins in bacon.

Anytime bacon is needed is a good time

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not too long ago , I asked mine if any additional supplements might be helpful for my screwed up left knee or the bone spurs in my back  . . . . .  or just for "what ails me" , and she said not to bother except for a regular old multivitamin and fish oil .
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I rarely eat breakfast , but almost always take a multi-vitamin every morning .

If I run out , and its a few days before I get another bottle , I DO feel a little sluggish . . . . noticeably so.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrap vitamins in bacon.

Anytime bacon is needed is a good time

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not too long ago , I asked mine if any additional supplements might be helpful for my screwed up left knee or the bone spurs in my back  . . . . .  or just for "what ails me" , and she said not to bother except for a regular old multivitamin and fish oil .

That pretty much seems to be the standard.  Fish oil is one of the few supplements that has really been shown to help where it is claimed to help.  Vitamins are an insurance policy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
About 15 years ago someone at GNC told me taking vitamins accompanied by caffeine will just flush the vits out of your system too quickly to absorb.  I'd love to find out if that is true.  Think about how many people take their vits in the morning w/ their coffee.

Caffeine has a diuretic-like effect, so when you consider taking a vitamin with a substance that will make you pee, it makes sense.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

You're just figuring this out now?

In answer to your question, vitamins are absorbed just fine without food.  This is certainly true for the water soluble vitamins (B vitamins, vitamin C, etc.).  The absorption of fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, etc.) probably do benefit slightly from being eaten with foods containing fats/oils.  

Some minerals such as Calcium are only absorbed with vitamin D which is why they are often formulated or taken together.  

As to whether you're wasting your time, that depends.  As another poster pointed out, it's difficult to become malnourished on a Western diet since it's usually rich in vitamins as long as it is balanced.  If you ate a (literally) meat and potatoes diet then you could have low levels of certain vitamins.  But it's unusual for a person to completely exclude fruits and vegetables from their diet.  The only nutritional deficiency I've seen in an otherwise healthy patient is Vitamin B12 deficiency in strict vegetarians who eat no eggs or dairy products.

You may not yneed that multivitamin but I don't think there is any harm in taking it.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sometimes I listen to a doctor on the radio during the weekend and for every health problem a person has, it must be because they have a sore tooth.

That's probably why he's on the radio and not seeing patients in the office.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top