User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/1/2011 6:11:00 AM EDT

ST. FRANCISVILLE, La. (AP) - Officials say a 47-year-old
Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries agent was found dead
in woods along the Mississippi River after he was shot in the chest
in the early morning hours....Sgt. Paul Stuckey ...............he was last heard from at 2:15 a.m...
about to look into a nighttime hunting complaint.......
18-year department veteran and had a wife and
three children.

http://www.fox8live.com/news/local/story/La-wildlife-agent-shot-killed-in-woods/V1ErxnJeb0K95tJBZucl-A.cspx?rss=2085
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:16:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess there was something to that complaint. RIP agent. We mourn your loss and that of your certainly bereaved family members!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:18:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Poachers are generally thoroughgoing scum.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:19:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Hope they find and hang the bastard responsible.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:19:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Edited. Sorry.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:19:38 AM EDT
[#6]

hopefully they'll soon find the dirtbag who shot him and put a needle in his arm
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:21:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd love to do that job,  but it's every bit as dangerous as a street cop.  Prayers for the family and I hope we get justice here.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:22:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Not alot of details in that story.

Gotta have a huge set to go into the woods alone to ticket or arrest persons who are knowingly engaged in the use of firearms, often with nothing more than a sidearm.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:23:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Our local news reported "no foul play suspected" WTF???
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:25:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Great job with even greater risks.  

RIP
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

hopefully they'll soon find the dirtbag who shot him and put a large, dull, rusty needle in his arm

fixed.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:35:28 AM EDT
[#13]
All thoughts & prayers for the agent... but, really, who in their right mind ventures out into a Louisiana swamp at night to investigate 'nighttime hunting' alone?

It's surprising they found his body.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:37:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hope they find and hang the bastard responsible and have their dogs carry his corpse out of the woods in chunks.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Poacher poached a game warden.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
All thoughts & prayers for the agent... but, really, who in their right mind ventures out into a Louisiana swamp at night to investigate 'nighttime hunting' alone?

The Woods Fuzz are unusual people. Most of the ones I've known would work another job in order to be able to work as game wardens for free.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:41:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd love to do that job,  but it's every bit as dangerous as a street cop.  Prayers for the family and I hope we get justice here.

It's worse.
Back up for those guys are usually a long ways off.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:44:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Did someone run up behind her and falcon punch her after she said that?

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah it is. Now I'm not supporting killing game wardens but if you are so inclined to shoot one in a Louisiana swamp in the middle of the night you might as well take advantage of the location and make sure that the body is never found.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:47:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Well the Sheriff got wind that Amos
was in the swamp tracking alligator skin
So he snuck in the swamp
gonna get the boy
but he never come out again
Well, I wonder where the
Louisiana Sheriff went to?
You can sure get lost
in the Louisiana Bayou
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

well.  no foul play that the shot was probably an accident.  however whoever left the scene and didn't report it needs to pay dearly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm suprised this doesn't happen more often.

I certainly woundn't want to confront people who are armed and already breaking the law, in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What kind of scum murders a man over a poaching ticket?

We have plenty of them here in this part of LA (the Southwest Cajun Prairie).  They are all around the little 20 acre patch of woods my family has.

You'd be hard pressed to convince me this was an accident.  I think he was murdered.

LC

ETA:  I'd feed the perpetrator feet first into a wood-chipper if I was in charge.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#27]
One of my friends is a game warden.  I tell him all the time my balls ain't big enough to do what he does. No fuckin' way.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:03:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

One of my friends is a game warden.  I tell him all the time my balls ain't big enough to do what he does. No fuckin' way.

My feelings exactly.  LE jobs I wouldn't do:

Serving Mental Health Commitment Orders (Constables and Sheriff's deputies do that in TX)

State Game Warden (or Federal for that matter)

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:04:18 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I think it's more dangerous all things considered than being a street cop.

You are generally alone.

You are generally a good way from back up.

During hunting seasons everyone you make contact with is armed.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Agreed. I would love to poach the poachers.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A poacher is almost always as much a degenerate as the worst street thug.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

well.  no foul play that the shot was probably an accident.  however whoever left the scene and didn't report it needs to pay dearly.

If it was an accident, the shooter wouldn't necessarily know that he shot a person. With that, I think it is statistically impossible that a poacher fired a rifle shot in the dark and hit the only game warden on duty in the state that night.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:18:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

My first thought given the information, was poachers.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:22:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well the Sheriff got wind that Amos
was in the swamp tracking alligator skin
So he snuck in the swamp
gonna get the boy
but he never come out again
Well, I wonder where the
Louisiana Sheriff went to?
You can sure get lost
in the Louisiana Bayou

Sad deal, but I have to admit, that Jerry Reed song was the first thing that popped into my mind too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:22:41 AM EDT
[#35]
If you accidentally kill somebody while poaching (and you aren't some barefoot Jasper who doesn't know there's such a thing as a game law) I would be inclined to treat it as an intentional killing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Probably had a cell phone that could be tracked via GPS.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Depending on what they're caught doing, it could be a huge fine and/or jail time. People kill other people all of the time for less.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's worse.

Back up for those guys are usually a long ways off.

yup

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depending on what they're caught doing, it could be a huge fine and/or jail time. People kill other people all of the time for less.

Yes, sadly, there are poachers with stiffer sentences/longer jail time than some violent offenders.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#40]
I would not be willing to do the job of a game warden.  I would have a problem with the state authorizing me to search peoples buildings and property without a warrant, and I would not do that.  I do not and would not go on other peoples posted private property even if authorised by the state.  If a citizen were to commit the crime of trespassing on another persons property, there should be no difference if a state employee were to do the same thing without a warrant authorizing such action, and that warrant complying with the constitutional requirements for a valid warrant.  

All that being said, shooting a game warden is not usually an appropriate course of action.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

+1

One of my coworkers is a former South Carolina game warden and he has some wild stories to tell. I wouldn't believe them they were so bad if not for gsw scars he has (shot on 2 occasions).... Dangerous job would be an understatement..

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would not be willing to do the job of a game warden.  I would have a problem with the state authorizing me to search peoples buildings and property without a warrant, and I would not do that.  I do not and would not go on other peoples posted private property even if authorised by the state.  If a citizen were to commit the crime of trespassing on another persons property, there should be no difference if a state employee were to do the same thing without a warrant authorizing such action, and that warrant complying with the constitutional requirements for a valid warrant.  

All that being said, shooting a game warden is not usually an appropriate course of action.

Why don't you elaborate for us?

If a game warden breaks into my house to try and steal my tv I'm going to shoot him.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

hopefully they'll soon find the dirtbag who shot him and put a large, dull, rusty needle in his arm

fixed.

Screw that, feed his ass to the gators!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Just like with any other LEO's, the vast majority of people they come in contact with are just regular people. It's the certain segment of society that cause problems everywhere they go that they have to look out for.

A lot of game wardens in Texas have M16's to deal with these people.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Stopping a poacher is not something worth risking your life over IMO.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top