Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2011 8:07:00 PM EDT
So I'm sitting here on a Friday night, examining a painting of the Virgin Mary, studying it for implied lines, colors, shapes, implied shapes, lighting, variety, unity, iconography, dimensionality and all kinds of other shit, so that I can write a detailed paper about 15 different points. Then, I have to write a paper about a treasure hunt from a museum field trip where I have to write about 10 different pieces of art to fulfill different criteria and why these pieces stood out to me, the architecture of the museum, the landscaping, what the hours are, when tours are offered, etc.

My art appreciation professor doesn't seem to be grasping the concept that Art Appreciation is supposed to be a class where you show up, look at some pictures and get an A.

I find it disappointing that between the quizzes, field trips, videos, reviews and papers (this is my forth this semester) I am having to invest more time in learning to appreciate art than I did mastering analytic geometry.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine was easy as shit and just as worthless.  I think I missed 3 points all semester out of 100 pts possible.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I'm sitting here on a Friday night, examining a painting of the Virgin Mary, studying it for implied lines, colors, shapes, implied shapes, lighting, variety, unity, iconography, dimensionality and all kinds of other shit, so that I can write a detailed paper about 15 different points. Then, I have to write a paper about a treasure hunt from a museum field trip where I have to write about 10 different pieces of art to fulfill different criteria and why these pieces stood out to me, the architecture of the museum, the landscaping, what the hours are, when tours are offered, etc.

My art appreciation professor doesn't seem to be grasping the concept that Art Appreciation is supposed to be a class where you show up, look at some pictures and get an A.

I find it disappointing that between the quizzes, field trips, videos, reviews and papers (this is my forth this semester) I am having to invest more time in learning to appreciate art than I did mastering analytic geometry.

Yeah....it sucks when teachers expect you to do stuff and learn.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Why the hell are you taking art appreciation?   If its an elective I took intro to American music and it was a lot more interestimg.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're tellin' me!

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
20 years later i actually appreciate that i had to make some effort to appreciate art.  take a trip to the met in ny sometime.  on the other hand, dr. percy love, my music appreciation professor, gave us a copy of the final two weeks ahead of time and let us watch amadeus for 3 weeks straight (night class) and i appreciate that crap too, so maybe it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You're tellin' me!

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I hear ya. For my throwaway art class I took "introduction to rock and roll", seemed like a throwaway class til the first test, when you had to listen to music samples of songs from the 50s and 60s, give the title and band (Not too bad, but some were obscure), the year of production (How is that useful knowledge?), the studio that produced it (), the musical form, and at least one fact of knowledge about them, such as the unusual type of musical technique used (Like overdubbing or something).

What a stupid class. I have to do more work for it than any other, because its not based on actually learning anything... its practically rote memorization!

Don't worry though... this is certainly valuable knowledge. I mean even a music major gets all sorts of value from knowing that (X artist of no importance) had a record produced by RCA.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#8]
You can become a Professor of Art Appreciation?  Give me a fookin break....
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I know where you're coming from. I had some token art class that actually was harder than both my Bio and History classes combined. I did feel a little bit more informed about oldfag Eurotrash architecture though. The joys of a college education. Oh boy. A total waste of time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You can become a Professor of Art Appreciation?  Give me a fookin break....

I'm sure she has a more generalized degree, like Fine Arts or something.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why the hell are you taking art appreciation?   If its an elective I took intro to American music and it was a lot more interestimg.

I'd taken Music Appreciation (3 hrs) for my first degree but my new school requires 5 hours of shitty arts classes and art appreciation was the easiest one to take.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Ahhhh... The uncultured are bleating again.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Art In The Dark was the second easiest class I ever took in college.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top