Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2011 7:10:01 PM EDT
A pair of Alabama conservation enforcement officers think they've come up with the perfect way for avid hunters to honor their loved ones for eternity.

Officers Thad Holmes and Clem Parnell have launched Holy Smoke LLC, a company that will, for a price, load cremated human ash into shotgun shells, and rifle and pistol cartridges.

http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=cincinnati&sParam=50610712.story
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]
That article blows me away...
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
new meaning to "what round for grandpa"?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Gives new meaning to the term "Go out with a bang".
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Fools and their money, true, but cheaper than putting ashes into orbit
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#5]
It's been done.

And Hunter S. Thompson was made into a fireworks shell.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#6]
850 bucks is a lot cheaper than a casket and service.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's been done.

And Hunter S. Thompson was made into a fireworks shell.

Scotty, James Doohan, was almost launched into space. Sadly Elon Musk's Jeff Larson's rocket failed and he got a burial at sea.

Almost two years after his death, approximately one-quarter ounce (7 grams) of Doohan's ashes were sent into space,[15] as he had requested in his will. The ashes, along with those of Mercury astronaut Gordon Cooper as well as almost two hundred others, were launched on the SpaceLoft XL rocket, on April 28, 2007, when the rocket briefly entered outer space in a four-minute suborbital flight before parachuting to earth, as planned, with the ashes still inside.[16] The ashes were subsequently launched on a Falcon 1 rocket, on August 3, 2008, into what was intended to be a low Earth orbit, however the rocket failed two minutes after launch.[17] The rest of his ashes were scattered over Puget Sound in Washington.[18][19]

I didn't know he went with Gordo Cooper. "Who's the best pilot y'ever saw?"
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#8]
My Grandpa would always say of a sub par individual, "I wouldn't waste the powder it would take to blow him to hell."
Maybe he was onto something.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I know both of these guys. They are conservation officers in my home county.  First I've heard of this though. Neat idea.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#11]
The municipality has been getting complaints of noise from the range I go to from neighbors in the area. During a council meeting, one of the neighbors was complaining to the Councillors and Mayor that we fired a CANNON! at the range (and of course, mentioned the fact that he has children ).

The range president's rebuttal was simply that a long time range member had passed, and did not wish to be buried. Friends of his felt it would be appropriate to fire him out of a cannon onto our range.

Really fired up the lady Councillor in charge of our range's district, as well as the complainers. There was a bit of rabid liberal verbal diarrhea going on after that.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I still want to be shot out of a cannon when i expire!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it is a great idea. If I knew about this when my grandpa died I would have fired him off at the range and im pretty sure he would be ok with that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#14]
author request
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top