Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2011 5:01:56 PM EDT
How in the hell do you get a ceiling fan to balance?  I have built houses, engines, cabinets, re-tiled pools, fab car sheetmetal and process my own wild game.  But I am well and truly fucked by a ceiling fan in the bedroom.  That ticking wobbly bitch will not balance no matter what I do.  I have to be missing something simple.  Hive....PLEASE tell me how you have managed to balance a bitch of a fan before I  climb a watertower!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried tightening the blades to the blade arms, and then tightening the blade arms to the central rotating brackets?  I went through this with one of ours, and there was significant improvement.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#2]
tighten the blades?

I'm nowhere near handy, but i've installed at least 4 fans.

I don't remember ever balancing any of them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone on GD mentioned a while back that Home Dep or Lowes have balancing kits with instructions.  Have you tried one of those?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Large paper clips!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Pic of wife or girlfriend ?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Someone on GD mentioned a while back that Home Dep or Lowes have balancing kits with instructions.  Have you tried one of those?

they don't help the process and pennies/nickles/quarters taped to the top of blades accomplish the same task....if you can find where the F to put them.

I have literally replaced whole fans to resolve imbalance issues

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Thread title implied stadium violence. Very disappointed now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thread title implied stadium violence. Very disappointed now.

Glad I'm not the only one who clicked thinking this was about mini bat and dollar beer night at the ball park.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a new one, and spend extra on it, you will not worry anymore....89.95, throw it away...........
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Total shot in the dark, but there was a thread where guys put airsoft pellets loose in wheels to balance them.  

Is there any way to adapt the same principal to this?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

they don't help the process and pennies/nickles/quarters taped to the top of blades accomplish the same task....if you can find where the F to put them.

I have literally replaced whole fans to resolve imbalance issues

this , dimes penny nickel , find the rite one and tape good , it will fly off.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#12]
The fan is most likely fine.  It's your ceiling that's out of spec.

Unscrew fan, screw new house in.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy a freakin balance kit 99 cents.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Who the fuck are you?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#15]
So you know I’m not full of it, I used to be an Engineering Manager for Hunter Fan.  What you need to do is add weight to one or more of the blades.  Many fans come with a kit that includes something that looks like a big clip and flexible magnet material that is self-adhesive on one side.

You slide the clip thing on one blade, starting near the center and moving it out towards the tip until the vibration gets better.  Once you’ve found the right place to add weight, you stick a small weight, and then add additional weight as necessary.  It’s a PIA, but so is having a wobbly fan.  You may have better success with a particular blade, or even multiple blades.  Experiment a little before getting too stressed out.  Don’t use a bat.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the fuck are you?

Easy tiger. He's not Canadian.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#17]
mother. fucking. magnets.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the fuck are you?

Says the guy who joined THIS year.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#19]

I've installed several fans. Only had one that needed balancing. Taped a dime on one of the blades. Had to move it around before I found the sweet spot. Then gorilla glued that sucker.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the fuck are you?

I live like 2.5 or 3 hours from Canada now. I GOT THIS SHIT YO!!

Anyway, to be serious.

Tighten all the screws on the blades and the base unit as hard as you can, then run the fan. If that doesn't do it, wrap some cushy material around the pull chains to eliminate the ticking.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#21]
You GD clowns kill me!!!!  
Thanks for the tips.
Already did the pic thing once when I could afford a membership!!  None were safe for GD.  
I literally have put up 43 homes as a project manager and have never had to glue or tape a single fan.  I have tightened screws, checked the ceiling box, even weighed the damn blades.  I'm fucked.  I'm augmenting 2 daughters student loans and sending my wife to nursing school.  I would love to rip that damn thing out and actually go buy a new one.  I'm not cheap, I am in sales and live by the "when you buy quality you only cry once" creed, but the $ just isn't there.  Fucking dick head pres, my income has dropped 32% since that prick took office and fuck Bush for allowing the Chinese to fuck my industry!!

Flippin' ceiling fans..... how do they work......magnets?  Should I paint black and white cown faces on them?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the fuck are you?

Says the guy who joined THIS year.

Refer to Ed Sr's Bear Pit for more information RE: targettarget and the origins of "Who the fuck are you? ".
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the fuck are you?

Hes not grin
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the fuck are you?

Hes not grin

Well of course not
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the fuck are you?

Anyway, to be serious.

Tighten all the screws on the blades and the base unit as hard as you can, then run the fan. If that doesn't do it, wrap some cushy material around the pull chains to eliminate the ticking.

where the fuck did you come up with THIS shit?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You GD clowns kill me!!!!  
Thanks for the tips.
Already did the pic thing once when I could afford a membership!!  None were safe for GD.  
I literally have put up 43 homes as a project manager and have never had to glue or tape a single fan.  I have tightened screws, checked the ceiling box, even weighed the damn blades.  I'm fucked.  I'm augmenting 2 daughters student loans and sending my wife to nursing school.  I would love to rip that damn thing out and actually go buy a new one.  I'm not cheap, I am in sales and live by the "when you buy quality you only cry once" creed, but the $ just isn't there.  Fucking dick head pres, my income has dropped 32% since that prick took office and fuck Bush for allowing the Chinese to fuck my industry!!

Flippin' ceiling fans..... how do they work......magnets?  Should I paint black and white cown faces on them?

Sorry but really magnets, I know.  The dime trick will work just as well, BUT remember to find the right spot before you glue or you're fucked.  Blades are weight at the factory too, so good call, you might want to clean them if that has been done.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the fuck are you?

Anyway, to be serious.

Personal experience with a ticking fan that was rather annoying. Tightening the blades to a shitfuckton of torque was not enough to eliminate the ticking, so I was watching the fan thinking when I saw the chains swinging. I decided to wrap some heavy yarn around the chain where it was hitting the base, and no more ticking.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the fuck are you?

Anyway, to be serious.

Personal experience with a ticking fan that was rather annoying. Tightening the blades to a shitfuckton of torque was not enough to eliminate the ticking, so I was watching the fan thinking when I saw the chains swinging. I decided to wrap some heavy yarn around the chain where it was hitting the base, and no more ticking.

ooh okay.    well, probably just screwing them tight would have been enough for the blades.  and i get the chain fix, but maybe something else what causing that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I like to take about 50' of string and throw one end of it into the fan while it is set on high.
This does nothing to balance the fan, but the burning welts the flailing string leaves as it rips across your flesh makes the ticking seem less important.

YMMV

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I like to take about 50' of string and throw one end of it into the fan while it is set on high.

This does nothing to balance the fan, but the burning welts the flailing string leaves as it rips across your flesh makes the ticking seem less important.

YMMV

LOL!  DONE!!  I just got 300 ft of nylon cord for lacing awnings today.  i'll make sure the fan gets a head start so it really stings!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

lol. Its posts like this that keep me coming back to this site.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Like I said!  I have already been down that road and got my hoagie slapped with a temp ban!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Get a new one, and spend extra on it, you will not worry anymore....89.95, throw it away...........

I bought a very expensive Hunter fan to put in my bedroom. Around $250.00 about six years ago.

I never could get to balance.

Bought a $19.95 Wal Mart special for the extra bedroom and it was as smooth as silk.

I figured it was a fluke. Bought another cheapo for the kitchen. No balance needed.
Now I was pissed. Spent a chunk on that POS in my bedroom and it wobbled like a Chinook helicopter and was almost as noisy.
Bought another cheapo and replaced the high dollar one with it. Once again no balancing needed.

I will NEVER buy another Hunter fan.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a very expensive Hunter fan to put in my bedroom. Around $250.00 about six years ago.

I never could get to balance.

Bought a $19.95 Wal Mart special for the extra bedroom and it was as smooth as silk.

I figured it was a fluke. Bought another cheapo for the kitchen. No balance needed.
Now I was pissed. Spent a chunk on that POS in my bedroom and it wobbled like a Chinook helicopter and was almost as noisy.
Bought another cheapo and replaced the high dollar one with it. Once again no balancing needed.

I will NEVER buy another Hunter fan.

I've noticed similar situations with some of the fans i have installed in the past. Expensive fans tended to need some work.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Best fans you can buy.

They suck up a lot of string.
http://www.lightinguniverse.com/quorum-international-ceiling-fans_83_m183.html

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Best fans you can buy.

They suck up a lot of string.

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/quorum-international-ceiling-fans_83_m183.html  

Expensive suckers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Measure from the end of  one of the blades to the cieling.
Measure from the rest of the blades to the same spot on the cieling.
Gently bend blade to motor brackets so all blades match.
This works most of the time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#39]
remove all install 2 on opposite sides, turn on. if it does not wobble they are in balance if they do try 1 of the 2 on the table floor, under the ladder you are standing on.

I weighed all the blades with mounting brackets on when installing a 5 blade fan. If no one has beat me to it, they make a fan balancing kit, OR tape a coin some where on the blade.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Have you tried tightening the blades to the blade arms, and then tightening the blade arms to the central rotating brackets?  I went through this with one of ours, and there was significant improvement.

This stops a lot of the ticking. I use loctite too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top