Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2002 9:27:50 PM EDT
My 73 year old father is having a semi-emergency surgery.  One of the arteries in his neck is to be replaced a 7AM.  I know little of this procedure.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Replaced?
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Synthetic, so I am told.  I will know much more in the morning.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not a doctor.

I wonder, though, has he already had bypass surgery on his heart?  

It may be the case that there is a blockage in the plumbing to your father's brain, and that the surgeons are trying to remove the block.

If so, then a temporary "shunt" is placed in the artery that will allow them to bypass the diseased section so that they can work on it.  The bypass will allow blood to get to the brain.  I'm under the impression that it'll be removed before he's out.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is this what they call a stent?

you may want to look around at [url]www.vh.org[/url]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

No, a stent is different.  It is a metallic mesh reinforcement for a vessel that can increase the interior diameter.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I sure hope everything goes well for your dad tomorrow!

Our prayers will be with you and your family.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

No, a stent is different.  It is a metallic mesh reinforcement for a vessel that can increase the interior diameter.
View Quote

Didnt Dick Cheney have that done recently?
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#8]
No heart by-pass, or stent.  Several years ago he had surgery on his legs one artery was replaced, one was [i]cleaned[/i] out.  He went in because he was having problem with the leg that was cleaned.  While looking ar the MRI they found almost complete blockage in the artery going to the brain.  They are worried he has already had a/some mild stroke(s), though he swears he hasn't.  He is in above average health for his age.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No heart by-pass, or stent.  Several years ago he had surgery on his legs one artery was repacled, one was [i]cleaned[/i] out.  He went in because he was having problem with the leg that was cleaned.  While looking ar the MRI they found almost complete blockage in the artery going to the brain.  They are worried he has already had a/some mild stroke(s), though he swears he hasn't.  He is in above average health for his age.
View Quote

I'd guess that they're gonna clean out his [i]carotid[/i] artery that supplies the brain in a procedure known as an endarterectomy.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Didnt Dick Cheney have that done recently?
View Quote

Yes, Cheney has had a variety of treatments since his 1st heart attack in the '70's, including stenting.

Edited to add:  The stents weren't, in my memory, placed until just around the election in 2000.  Don't want to give the impression that they have been in place since the '70's.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#11]
i don't know anything about surgery, except my father-in-law had a valve in his heart replaced. it took like 6 hours and he took a long time to recover.

my prayers are with you and your dad 1gunrunner
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#12]
He smoked who knows how many packs (2-3) per day, for who knows how many years (40-50).  After several half-assed attempts he quit 5+ years ago cold turkey.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Heinlein had similar surgery back in the late 1970's or early 1980's, IIRC.

The main thing is to be confident in the surgeon.

I hope it goes well and that your father has a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for the well wishes and info will update tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#15]
An endarterectomy usually involves removal of artheromas(plague like stuff)with a patch graft repair of the vessel. Your fathers stenosis is in one of the carotid arteries.  When I worked in a recovery room a couple of years ago we would keep those patients in the PARR for six hours.  We then would transfer the patient to a step down area.  This allowed us to bypass having to put the patient in an ICU setting.  Things the nurses will look for is swelling of the neck, difficulty swallowing, and neuro status.  Prayers to your father.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:51:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey #1Gunnrunner we aren't no docters here  but we wish you the love that trancends beyound what the docters can give you.    My Grandpa lived to be 91 years old ,smoked three packs of phillip morris cigs till he was 82 then they made him quit smoking (damned near killed him).

He had to take a nitro pill each day to jump start his heart,  But how ever long your grand dad lived, is pretty much in the DNA of your dad and you.   You can change it a lot by how you conduct your vices!

Best wishes for you and your dad!    Bob
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 1:06:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#18]
My Dad's surgery went well.  It was a carotid endarterectomy with a patch graft repair.  See you can get good info on AR15.com in the middle of the night.

The Doc said it was a damn good thing they got to him when they did, he had 90% blockage at the main branch, they had to go further down towards the heart than they thought.  The Doc said they went as far as they could, said it is still 50% blocked going towards the heart but they will take that up from the other end.  He didn't seemed too overly concerned at 50% and said will follow up with that later.  

Thanks again for the well wishes.

1GUNRUNNER
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Everything's ok, then?  Whew.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#20]
So far, so good.  We'll count on a safe recovery.  Pretty good guess, eh?
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top