Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2011 12:42:31 PM EDT
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico City lawmakers want to help newlyweds avoid the hassle of divorce by giving them an easy exit strategy: temporary marriage licenses.

Leftists in the city's assembly –– who have already riled conservatives by legalizing gay marriage –– proposed a reform to the civil code this week that would allow couples to decide on the length of their commitment, opting out of a lifetime.

http://news.yahoo.com/til-2013-us-part-mexico-mulls-2-marriage-232608285.html

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL,  I love it.  

Reminds me of the old joke with marriage licenses compared to fishing and driver's licenses have expiration dates.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It should be a permit system with an option to renew every three years. That would work for me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Iran already does this
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Iran already does this

What happens to the women when the men decide to leave them?

I'm guessing that the results aren't good for the women.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#5]
My Church is way ahead of Mexico on this.

http://www.subgenius.com/marriage.html
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried to convince my wife that we go for a three year deal with an option for five, exercisable by me.

No dice.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#7]
With how often storys come out of women taking everything in a divorce, I wonder how this would affect prenuptuial agreements, spousal suppot, child support, and such when the contract isn't renewed
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Iran already does this

Equality, bitches.

Reap the whirlwind, feminists.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Do they wash windows and have a Mute button.

Impeach Obama for the Good of the Liberals.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Treating a contract like a contract?

No way...
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#11]
can they licence child rearing next?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#12]
So what do you do when you get near the end of your lease?  You both go out and shop around to see if you can get a better deal?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#13]
That's absurd if the couple has children.

Talk about a great way to ensure that the Courts are overburden with custody disputes at great cost to the tax payers. Mexico can't get anything right can they?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Iran already does this

They find a new kitchen.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Talk about a great way to ensure that the Courts are overburden with custody disputes at great cost to the tax payers. Mexico can't get anything right can they?

The Simple solution is to extend the expiration date to infinity if any children are born.

Impeach Obama for the Good of the Snail Darters.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Iran already does this

What Iran has is basically a legalized prostitution.  A man would go to a an imam and have him perform a temporary marriage of, say, one hour, with a woman (usually a prostitute)  This circumvent the Islamic law against fornication.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Iran already does this

Equality, bitches.

Reap the whirlwind, feminists.

Not so much in Iran.  You simply say 'I divorce you!' three times and the divorce is final.  Man keeps everything, including children, while uneducated wife gets nothing except to walk out the door with what is on her back.  YMMV, everybody is different, but that is the extent of the Sharia law.

In AFG if the husband is killed the rest of the family just might kick the wife out, with her children, while her own family may or may not take her back since they cannot do anything with her.  A once-married woman is considered damaged goods.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

With probably over 50% of marriages ending in divorce right now, that's the way it is right now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It just has to be part of the original contract, child support as well as custody.  As the father you want to be able to pay support and walk off, no obligations otherwise?  Write it in, as long as she signs it, it should be good to go.

While I feel that marriage within my church and within my own life should not be done this way, it would simplify a LOT of things in our society.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Can I test drive them before I lease them?

Do I get a lower payment for leasing?

What about "gap" coverage?

What is the maximum mileage I can put on one?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Moot point is moot.

How is this different from marriages that fail nowadays when there are children involved?  Same thing in both scenarios.  The rights and support of the child (children) won't change.  If you're a parent you're a parent and can't divorce yourself from that obligation.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

My Church is way ahead of Mexico on this.

http://www.subgenius.com/marriage.html

Or kill me.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Can I test drive them before I lease them?

Do I get a lower payment for leasing?

What about "gap" coverage?

What is the maximum mileage I can put on one?

Can I go to a "wife" dealership and pick the model I want out of 100's on display?

Do I get a warranty?

30 return policy?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top