Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2011 11:51:57 AM EDT
Anyone have one?

I'm looker for one that heats up, cuts and sears the rope and/or tubular nylon for under $100. Well under if possible.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]
knife , match. cheap HF soldering iron
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I always used a propane torch and the cheapest chef knife I could find.

How much rope do you plan to cut?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Get some nichrome wire, a cheap transformer and some scrap wood to hold it together.

ETA:  I like the cheap knife/propane idea too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get some nichrome wire, a cheap transformer and some scrap wood to hold it together.

ETA:  I like the cheap knife/propane idea too.

This
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Screw an over-priced cutter.  Go to the hardware dept and buy a metal putty knife and a propane torch.  Heat the knife til its red and watch it cut through rope like butter.  the end will be melted together perfectly. $15 investment.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was working on a longline catcher/processor we had to make up gangion lines by the hundreds.  We'd wrap the gangion line around four nails on a piece of 2x6 until there were about 50 wraps or so, then use a propane torch to heat a knife and cut at both ends.  You'd have 100 pieces that could than be tied, have hooks attached, and be ready to attach to the long line and fished.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top