Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/10/2002 8:27:55 PM EDT
For example, the guy who figured out the "press 1 for..." phone system.

Then the guy who decided they could make it impossible to get an operator by not pressing anything.

Then the guy who figures out how to make it so you can't get an operator by pressing "0"

[stick]
[spank]
Next!!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Most inventors do their best work when they are stoned..[):)]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Albert Einstein. Him and his idiotic [b]UNPROVEN[/b] theory of relativity keeping me from vacationing on Vulcan...

Plus he killed a couple hundred thousand people in the forties...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Scott

View Quote

Ummmm...yeah....I think you've got the wrong guy.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scott

View Quote

View Quote

Not at all. Remember Hiroshima and Nagasaki (an alternate target point, BTW)?

Scott

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Whoever came up with the great brain vac (TV)...
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Didn't Al Gore invent the Internet????
That's my choice.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scott

View Quote

View Quote

Scott

View Quote

better option than U.S. troops invading Japan
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scott

View Quote

View Quote

Scott

View Quote

What a dickheaded view - use of nukes scares you and you'd condem 6 to 12 times more to die by conventional warfare (that is the estimates).

Oh yeah, and that the spread wouldn't be mostly heavy on the enemy - what is it, you appologizing for kicking enemy ass?

You're not on track dude.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scott

View Quote

View Quote

Scott
View Quote

Einstein warned of the possibility of the Germans developing an A-Bomb, but he didn't invent it. He simply knew that with enough research, the energy was there to be unleashed in the form of a bomb.

[b]"A massive enrichment laboratory/plant was constructed at Oak Ridge, Tennessee. Harold C. Urey and his colleagues at Columbia University devised an extraction system that worked on the principle of gaseous diffusion, and Ernest O. Lawrence (inventor of the Cyclotron) at the University of California in Berkeley implemented a process involving magnetic separation of the two isotopes.

Next, a gas centrifuge was used to further separate the lighter U-235 from the heavier, non-fissionable U-238. Once all of these procedures had been completed, all that needed to be done was to put to the test the entire concept behind atomic fission ("splitting the atom," in layman's terms).

Over the course of six years, from 1939 to 1945, more than $2 billion was spent on the Manhattan Project. The formulas for refining uranium and putting together a working bomb were created and seen to their logical ends by some of the greatest minds of our time. [u]Chief among the people who unleashed the power of the atom was J. Robert Oppenheimer, who oversaw the project from conception to completion[/u]."[/b]

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#15]
My vote is for the guy who invented shrink-wrapping.

It's news to me that Einstein was involved in The Manhattan Project.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scott

View Quote

View Quote

Scott

View Quote

What a dickheaded view - use of nukes scares you and you'd condem 6 to 12 times more to die by conventional warfare (that is the estimates).

Oh yeah, and that the spread wouldn't be mostly heavy on the enemy - what is it, you appologizing for kicking enemy ass?

View Quote

It was a freaking joke. So much for rule 2D in this thread...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Whomever came up with:

- The "Baby on board" car sign.

- The lighted Nike(?) shoe

- Lava lamp

- whicker (anything)

- Bean bag chair

- Pink Flamingo lawn ornament

- Chia pet

- The M60 machine gun

- Sherman tank

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Fine.. if he wasnt involved..
I still give him honary mention

[:d]

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Um Einstein wasnt on the manhattan project, how did he kill a few hundred thousand people.
View Quote

And what is wrong with whatwas done anyway, Einstein or not?

Finished up the war rather quickly.

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#22]
My bad. It was a violation of Rule 7, not Rule 2D....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#23]
back on target... the a-hole that designed laptop keyboards... kinda hard to type on them...

as if hunt and peck wasnt hard enough...without having a slightly diff keyboard than @ work..[BD]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scott

View Quote

View Quote

Scott

View Quote

View Quote

It was a freaking joke. So much for rule 2D in this thread...

Scott

View Quote

You fooled us when you went in for the second line of defense...........

Your withdrawal of Einstein and reaffermation of bomb noted!

He did cause a rather sucky movie to be made though.......

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My bad. It was a violation of Rule 7, not Rule 2D....

Scott

View Quote

It was a joked, dude!

You mean you didn't get it?

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I didnt say anything was wrong with dropping the bombs i think you got the wrong dude.
View Quote

Roger.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Spamford Wallace should be shot.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#30]
On the other hand, what if Japan had an insider? Would they have capitulated if they knew that at the time of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki attacks that we had "shot our load"? I have read somewhere that at the time, we used up all of the available weapons-grade fissionable material in the Trinity test and the two A-bomb attacks. We (IIRC) did not have [b]ANY[/b] nuclear weaposn available for like a couple of years after the war....

Scott

P.S. It's late and I jsut got home from work. I maybe no 'member right...

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scott

View Quote

View Quote

Scott

View Quote

Bizarre.

Russell-Einstein Manifesto?

Letter to Roosevelt:
". . . We helped in creating this new weapon in order to prevent the enemies of mankind from achieving it ahead of us. Which, given the mentality of the Nazis, would have meant inconceivable destruction, and the enslavement of the rest of the world..."
-AE

"Since I do not foresee that atomic energy is to be a great boon for a long time, I have to say that for the present it is a menace. Perhaps it is well that it should be. It may intimidate the human race into bringing order into it's international affairs, which without the pressure of fear, it would not do."
-AE

With reference to your "theory of relativity" remark:
"If my theory of relativity is proven correct, Germany will claim me as a German and France will declare that I am a citizen of the world. Should my theory prove untrue, France will say that I am a German and Germany will declare that I am a Jew."

Some other quotes:
"Through the release of atomic energy, our generation has brought into the world the most revolutionary force since prehistoric man's discovery of fire. This basic force of the universe cannot be fitted into the outmoded concept of narrow nationalisms.
For there is no secret and there is no defense; there is no possibility of control except through the aroused understanding and insistence of the peoples of the world. We scientists recognise our inescapable responsibility to carry to our fellow citizens an understanding of atomic energy and its implication for society. In this lies our only security and our only hope - we believe that an informed citizenry will act for life and not for death."

"The only justifiable purpose of political institutions is to insure the unhindered development of the individual."

"You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war."

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, Einstein signed a letter convincing the President(or whoever made the decision) that the Manhattan Project was necessary.  Essentially stated that we better develop the bomb before they do.

I don't believe that he had any further involvememt.
View Quote

he acually wrote anothter letter begging and pleading with the president now to use the bomb. he was far more passionate about stopping the bomb than getting it started. his first letter was just helping out by getting a famous name on the letter so it would reach the president. his man reason was fear of the 3rh richt(shoot, not sure on spelling there) since he was a jew. einstine did much more to stop the bomb than he ever did to promote it. this should put an end to the retarted debate earlyer in the thread.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#34]
The two letters were to Roosevelt.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I got nothing against the dude, other than I think his TOR has had a negative impact on our efforts to explore the universe around us. ("What is the point of exploring our solar system? We will never go any further. Einstein said so.") We should have a thriving lunar colony by now, and should have had at least a few manned trips to Mars. The next three best windows for Mars are (IIRC) sometime this decade, then in 2018 and 2020.) I have no idea why there is such a space, then two that close together...

BTW, when the FTL breakthrough comes, people are going to be amazed. I need to consult my references for his name, but the pioneer I expect to open up the universe for us is a Brazilian scientist...
Stand by and remember you heard me say it first...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:32:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I got nothing against the dude, other than I think his TOR has had a negative impact on our efforts to explore the universe around us. ("What is the point of exploring our solar system? We will never go any further. Einstein said so.") We should have a thriving lunar colony by now, and should have had at least a few manned trips to Mars.  I have no idea why there is such a space, then two that close together...

Scott

View Quote

Beyond Bizarre!

I wonder, how has Einstein hobbled [i]your[/i] effort to explore?  Ignore Einstein and go for it.  

Do you have any concept of what is involved in sending men (women) to Mars?  
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Whoever invented:

* Billy Big-Mouth Bass
* Muzak
* Chia pets
* Marxism
* The "Tuxedo" T-shirt
* Pay toilets
* Polyester pants
* Bullpups
* Men's speedo swimsuit
* Barney
* Birkenstocks
* Karaoke

okay, that's all for now

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I got nothing against the dude, other than I think his TOR has had a negative impact on our efforts to explore the universe around us. ("What is the point of exploring our solar system? We will never go any further. Einstein said so.") We should have a thriving lunar colony by now, and should have had at least a few manned trips to Mars. The next three best windows for Mars are (IIRC) sometime this decade, then in 2018 and 2020.) I have no idea why there is such a space, then two that close together...

BTW, when the FTL breakthrough comes, people are going to be amazed. I need to consult my references for his name, but the pioneer I expect to open up the universe for us is a Brazilian scientist...

Scott

View Quote

But his TOR also allows for the bending of space by generating massive gravity negating the need for velocity as the space between the two points become "closer together".  
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#40]
The freaking idiot who came up with the cell phone.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:...BTW, when the FTL breakthrough comes, people are going to be amazed. I need to consult my references for his name, but the pioneer I expect to open up the universe for us is a Brazilian scientist...

Scott
View Quote

Do you mean Jandir M. Hickmann from the University of California at Berkeley, on leave from the Federal University of Alagoas in Brazil?

Or Leonardo F. D. da Motta?

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Back on track...

The guy who thought Cellular Mobile Telephony should be cheap and readily accessible (CMT is useful, widespread use is NOT.)

Pagers.  Damn things...

Bullpups.  Us lefties hate 'em (I don't have to shave the left side of my face for a week or so after a heavy BP shooting session....)

The original EOD guy who doesn't think "Blow in place" is a good idea.  It's MY ass on the line, I'll deal with the device however the Hell I want to...

Rice Rockets.  Annoying, noisy, useless wastes of metal (not the bikes, the cars.)

Anyone who designs in "planned obsolescence."  

Blue headlights.

Digital watches.  I can't wear the damn things...

Spiral-bound notebooks - the damn coil is on the wrong side!

Wozniak & Jobs - for a system that took entirely too damn long to get "open architecture" and stayed a toy computer for so long...

Whoever does the design work at Compaq.  The single biggest pain in my ass when it comes to support...

Whoever invented the "coffee can" exhaust tip.

Windscreen Washer Nozzle Lites.  Need I say more?

Lowering kits for trucks - what damn foolishment is this?  I keep wanting to hit someone everythime I see a LB w/DRW (4WD!) riding an inch off the ground - especially if it's a one ton!

FFZ
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
DScott so you think we will see FTL travel in my life time?
View Quote

How old are you. I believe the Brazilian dude is reasonably close. I expect a trip to at least Alpha Centauri Proxima in my lifetime, by NASA folks in one of his FTL vessels. (I am 35...)

Scott

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:...BTW, when the FTL breakthrough comes, people are going to be amazed. I need to consult my references for his name, but the pioneer I expect to open up the universe for us is a Brazilian scientist...

Scott
View Quote

Do you mean Jandir M. Hickmann from the University of California at Berkeley, on leave from the Federal University of Alagoas in Brazil?

Or Leonardo F. D. da Motta?

View Quote

I need to get out my reference work. Stand by...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Okay, I was close. He is a physicist and relativity expert at the University of Wales in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Okay I had the wrong freaking hemi-sphere....

His name is Miguel Alcubierre (hence I was thinking a Brazilian for some reason). It has been quite a while since I read about him...

But remember that name. And Remember Scott told you about him....

Scott

[beer]

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I would have to go with the automated phone menus, pawn of the devil.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:34:17 AM EDT
[#47]
The wheatstraw 1.5 should defiantly be a wheatstraw 2 inche or better!  

What do you think?

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:49:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Those damn people who think up the verizon and cingular commercials. The stupid ads smack of FDCGH.

Oh ya and that one mitsubishi commercial with the girl having convulsions in the front seat.

Link Posted: 6/11/2002 1:27:35 AM EDT
[#49]
who ever invented gun control
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 2:05:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Oh ya and that one mitsubishi commercial with the girl having convulsions in the front seat.
View Quote

You don't like womenz doin' the robot?  [>:/]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top