Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2011 8:51:20 AM EDT
Hi GD,  i have a question for all the experts out there in the hive mind.

I recently got 2 shipping containers to use a sheds, set them about 20 feet apart, and want to put a roof, covering a 20x20 concrete slab I am going to pour in between the containers so I have a dry place to change oil or otherwise work on cars.  

Anyone done this before? Any suggestions on how to roof in between to shipping containers?  I'd like it to be metal and very durable.

What doth the hive say?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about the hive, but my recommendation is either repost this in Survival Forums for real advice or post some pics of your wife to help us GD folks decide what to tell you to do...
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#2]
there was a post in the survival forums where a guys did this exact thing. He gave a step by step narrative with pics. I don't remember his name though. Sorry
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Tin roof
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Screw your rafters to the metal storage shed. Sheet with plywood and screw on your metal roof. This would be a flat roof though......

or  pole building.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Set anchors into the cement. Use 4x4 posts and build it like a car port?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Tin roof

Rusted!

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hi GD,  i have a question for all the experts out there in the hive mind.

I recently got 2 shipping containers to use a sheds, set them about 20 feet apart, and want to put a roof, covering a 20x20 concrete slab I am going to pour in between the containers so I have a dry place to change oil or otherwise work on cars.  

Anyone done this before? Any suggestions on how to roof in between to shipping containers?  I'd like it to be metal and very durable.

What doth the hive say?

Great idea!  Those Sea-Land (multi-modal) containers are cheap on the used market also.  See if you can snarf some used steel open frame joists to span the 20 ft. That way you can rig for heavy overhead lifting if need be.  Then cover with some powder coated sheet steel roofing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#10]

thanks Art, had forgotten about that thread.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Best ones I've seen were 2 more containers placed on top, perpendicular to the ones on the ground.

Great roof, massive amounts of storage.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Best ones I've seen were 2 more containers placed on top, perpendicular to the ones on the ground.

Neat idea, any pics of these? or links?

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Neat idea, any pics of these? or links?

Seen it used several times in Iraq as a garage\shop. Didn't take any pictures.

Here's an example of the army building a really tall version:

(bottom of this page)

Looked like a crude version of this:

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's that bottom one actually being set up.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#15]
20' is a pretty good span.  

I like the "pole barn" idea.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tin roof

Rusted!

I see what you did there.

Bombardier.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tin roof

Rusted!

I see what you did there.

Bombardier.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top