Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2011 8:26:39 AM EDT
Need help from computer experts - and as you will see after reading this, I am not one of them.

I recently bought a new computer to replace my old desktop.

Before trashing the old desktop, I took a word processor document which was created in the Microsoft "Works" word processor app that I had stored on my old hard drive, and placed it onto a thumb drive, so that I could transport the file to the new machine.  (I think it's called a "thumb drive" - its about an inch long and plugs into the USB port).

The file was a listing of all the work I have done on my house, and I really want that file because it is very detailed and I cannot remember all the particulars.

Well, I assumed (yeah I know, bad move) that the new machine had a word processor app bundled with it at the time of purchase that would be compatible with Microsoft Works, however, it doesn't.  The new machine has Microsoft WORD, which is not the same thing as the older "Works" WP app.

So when I place the thumb drive into the USB port of the new desktop and try to access that file, it comes up looking like Egyptian heiroglyphics, and is unreadable.

Will I have to buy the older "Microsoft Works" software and install it on the new machine, or is there some way to make this work in Word?

Appreciate knowledgeable input.

P.S. Bill  Gates needs to eat a bag of penises for not making these apps compatible.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#1]
the solution: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/convert-works-documents-to-word-format-HP001188116.aspx
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#2]
See here. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315757

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Both programs are made by microsoft. Word is sort of the full, professional version, and works is a much simpler cheaper one they package. You should be able to get an update for word online so it would convert and read works. Otherwise, you would have to find a works computer, open the document, and save it as an older verson of word. Works can do this. So worst case, you go to a friends to do this or rent a computer for half an hour at kinkos.

But you should also be able to get a conversion. Try searching the help menu on word on your machine, if that doenst work, then google it. You should find a microsoft tool to do this, not an aftermarket program.

And make secure copies of the file before you try anything!

brian
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
the solution: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/convert-works-documents-to-word-format-HP001188116.aspx

I could kiss you, but that would be homo, so I'll just give you a virtual handshake.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top