Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2002 8:14:20 PM EDT
The "If some child's parent asked you . . . " thread made me wonder if someone could point me to studies or data that support the claims that guns in the house increase safety for children.

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#1]
when properly taught and supervised, YEAH!
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The "If some child's parent asked you . . . " thread made me wonder if someone could point me to studies or data that support the claims that guns in the house increase safety for children.

View Quote

the data that supports is the common sense logic that you [b]MUST[/b] teach your kids common sense about firearms use. There countless instances of citizens under the age of 18 using firearms to save themselves or family members from criminals. Check out "The Armed Citizen" in whichever NRA magazine you get every month. There is often reports in there...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Of course, the value of supervision and instruction can not be overemphasized, and I am aware of the monthly reports of guns that save lives, but I wonder if there is a group of studies that I can reference when making a claim that guns make a child's home safer.

With no doubt, the safety of [i]my[/i] home is increased due to the presence of firearms, but I wonder if this is true nationally.

Please don't start in with the "screwdriverless" or "ovenless" home challenges to my question.  I do suspect that homes with loose buttons have a marginally lower rates of choking, and that homes without electricity reduce the potential for electrocution, but this is not my point, so please don't take this approach.

I am a scientist at heart, and would like some evidence.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
...and that homes without electricity reduce the potential for electrocution, but this is not my point, so please don't take this approach.

View Quote

Actually, homes without electricity [b] DO NOT[/b] teach children to respect electricity, thus [b]INCREASING[/b] the likelihood of electrocution in a storm...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for your wisdom and speculation, DScott.

If you've got a reference citation to contribute, then please do.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, it did start me thinking about what (especially where) evidence exists to support this general claim.

The anecdotes do bolster the claims, and I agree that crime prevention is a key role of firearms, but I wonder about safety in general.    

I will take a look at those recommended reads the next time I am at the library.  Have heard the titles mentioned on this board many times.  

(That is an atrocious story.)  
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Have any of you guys who responded last night been able to find any data or references to studies on the subject?
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#9]
There was a government study during Clinton's term I believe that kids who grow up around guns, no the dangers/risks of shooting people etc. and/or are trained to use them are less likely to join gangs and take drugs, etc.

New Zealand or Austrailia did something similar where they gave kids toy guns and had them take a gun safety course or something and they took care of them and stuff and were also less likely to commit crime, join a gang, drugs, etc.

There is something, I'll have to dig it up I think that said you are more likely to get hurt, raped, etc. if you are passifistic as opposed to showing a gun...
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry i dont have any statistics on hand, but consider that the number of firearms in circulation have increased, while the percentage of firearm related accidents have gone down. supposedly since 1903 (1913?) when such statistics were first taken. There are currently around 250+ million firearms in civilian hands in the US.

Gun Owners of America or Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership may have the statistics you seek.

lib-who is only a danger to hisself[:)]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

DrFridge is right.  Read "more Guns, Less Crime" by John R. Lott.  I'm not sure if he specifically addresses guns within a home but his book if FULL of statistics & it is well researched & substantiated.  He doesn't follow the antigunners methodology of filtering the statistics to suit their needs.  Instead, his book covers large ares of the US and long time periods.

He, in fact, went from being neutral on gun possession to being fervently in favor of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top