Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2011 7:18:29 AM EDT
So we're going to the land of milk in a bag to do some hunting and I'm going to need to exchange some $$. Just checked out the rate online and $100 US get's me $103 Canadian.

I remember not to long ago where $100 US got you $150 Canuck!

I guess I'll have to limit my Labatt's Blue consumption!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Not to long ago $100 US got you $90 something C.  So we have improved.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

True but still.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:24:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Enjoy it while you can.  You're not buying bagged milk while you're there, are you?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:25:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

...or they have gotten worse.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:26:53 AM EDT
[#5]
periodicals still have the inflated Canadian rate.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Miss "all_alone" lives up there (sorry, no photos without her permission).  She says things up there are not improving (although from her perspective the conservaitive government has slowed the downward spiral).
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Not too long ago?  I haven't seen $100 US to $150 CAD since . . . well, shit, the early nineties?

brb

ETA:  Can't find any charts that look back more than 5 years, but it looks like March of 2009 was the best in the last 5 years.  125 CAD for 100 US.  I didn't realize that had gotten that high.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Enjoy it while you can.  You're not buying bagged milk while you're there, are you?

No milk in a bag. I do prefer their beer though to ours.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Printing up money will do that to a currency
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Hasn't been a good exchange rate ever since Obama took office.  When we went in July it was (iirc) $1.13 American to $1 Canadian.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not too long ago?  I haven't seen $100 US to $150 CAD since . . . well, shit, the early nineties?

brb

ETA:  Can't find any charts that look back more than 5 years, but it looks like March of 2009 was the best in the last 5 years.  125 CAD for 100 US.  I didn't realize that had gotten that high.
Ok 'Not to long ago' being subjective.

I think it was early 2000's actually but point is I can remember a time when it was that good.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Without stupid Itar I could buy twice more guns with the current exchange rate of the $
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I was there last week and I only got 95 cents for my 1.00 dollar US towards the end of the week it was up to almost even.  Consider yourself lucky , the way the kenyan is spending our money.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Miss "all_alone" lives up there (sorry, no photos without her permission).  She says things up there are not improving (although from her perspective the conservaitive government has slowed the downward spiral).

She must not live anywhere near Alberta.

There is construction everywhere, houses are selling, there are help wanted signs posted on billboards, consumer goods such as electronics and big screen TV's and computers etc are flying off the shelves, automotive business in every aspect is booming .

Things are going GREAT here !

(we even have a Bass Pro shop, it's awesome ! )
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is construction everywhere, houses are selling, there are help wanted signs posted on billboards, consumer goods such as electronics and big screen TV's and computers etc are flying off the shelves, automotive business in every aspect is booming .

Where?  We're coming up to Stettler for Christmas.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I've found that an overwhelming amount of Americans that come to my restaurant and expect us to treat their USD like it's gold.

"Sorry sir, we don't change our exchange rate every single day to match current rates. It just so happens we haven't changed it from when it was favorable for us a few months back."

"If it's unacceptable, there is a mcdonalds across the road, however they haven't changed theirs either. I think it's because they're a restaurant, not a bank.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calgary.

You will surely enjoy Stettler, old country farm town with lots of exploring opportunities. Get used to seeing oil drilling rigs and pump jacks all over the place though, there is alot of black gold in the area.

You will be warmly welcomed.

Enjoy !

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I've found that an overwhelming amount of Americans that come to my restaurant and expect us to treat their USD like it's gold.

"Sorry sir, we don't change our exchange rate every single day to match current rates. It just so happens we haven't changed it from when it was favorable for us a few months back."

"If it's unacceptable, there is a mcdonalds across the road, however they haven't changed theirs either. I think it's because they're a restaurant, not a bank.

Pretty tough attitude being America's hat and all!

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calgary.

You will surely enjoy Stettler, old country farm town with lots of exploring opportunities. Get used to seeing oil drilling rigs and pump jacks all over the place though, there is alot of black gold in the area.

You will be warmly welcomed.

Enjoy !

My wife's hometown.  We've been going there to do the family get together thing since the 70's. Certainly has changed a lot. although I STILL cannot get decent iced tea.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

brb

OP is 87yrs old.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, Vancouver BC.  Six months here (oregon)/6 months there.  I keep saying that on vacation we should visit alberta (so I can try to find work there, and get my foot in the door with immigrations).  
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#22]
rickards red ftw!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

...or they have gotten worse.

the dollar is getting a bump due to the debt issues with the euro, dont expect it to last since we are trading dollars for soon to be worthless eruos.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeppers when you order tea you better say iced tea unsweetened or you get a bag and some hot water. I found no milk in bags in the town I was in but the ribeyes were in vacuum sealed bags.

I used US dollars in most of the shops I was in last week.  Bust a hundred and spend it out then bust another.  But I did use the credit card in some places.  The cabella's visa card I used charged 1% for foreign exchange and the rate was 1.03 american for a canadian dollar.  

I wonder how much banks charge up there to change currency?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yeppers when you order tea you better say iced tea unsweetened or you get a bag and some hot water. I found no milk in bags in the town I was in but the ribeyes were in vacuum sealed bags.

Yes, tea in canada is simply just hot tea.

Iced tea is Nestea or brisk, which is guess is what you southern folks call sweetened tea?

I would say 99% of people up here would look at you like you have a dick growing out of your forehead if you asked for an iced tea with no sugar

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, tea in canada is simply just hot tea.

Iced tea is Nestea or brisk, which is guess is what you southern folks call sweetened tea?

I would say 99% of people up here would look at you like you have a dick growing out of your forehead if you asked for an iced tea with no sugar

I was in Waterton checking out the park, we stopped in at a restaurant for supper and the waitress brought me the tea bag setup and I thought about asking for a glass with ice in it but figured better of it.  I know I was in a tourist area but the people were very friendly up there some real Texas hospitality.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

brb

This site seems to have a good amount of history.  I went back to April 1, 1990.  The high point was 1.6:1 in January of 2002 with a general decline back to 1.16:1 in April 90.

Edit: Looks like it only goes back to Jan 1, 1990.  1.17:1
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Checked online and it's up to $104 CAN for $100 US.

Checked at my local USBank and they'll sell me $98 Can for $100 US!

I think I'll just stop at a Canadian Bank and buy funny money there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bass Pro is just north of Calgary. Couple hour drive from Stettler.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top