Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2011 3:34:25 AM EDT
Purpose? For zombies, duh...

I want something like this:

But with a longer blade, 16-24'' would be nice.

I don't know if such a beast exists, don't really know much about knives/machetes/etc.

Or just suggest a kick-ass machete/sword.

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:40:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:42:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the "Junglas" and light machete from Randall's Adventure.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:44:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Why are the sawteeth on the backblade facing forward?  Won't that increase the chance your hands slips up along the nice sharp blade?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:47:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Cold Steel sells a Gladious (sp), one of the Roman style short swords.

You could get a big Kukri blade too. (CS also has those.)

If you don't have any experience with machete's, I suggest... well, a machete.

Becker sells the BK3, a heavier duty version of the SP8 you have pictured above. It might be a hair longer, and it's a lot thicker.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:48:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:50:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Why are the sawteeth on the backblade facing forward?  Won't that increase the chance your hands slips up along the nice sharp blade?

Yes.  There is the grip guard to help against that.

The SP8 is a wrecking and entering tool as much as a woods survival tool. The tip is supposed to be forced in a crack and the teeth used to widen and lengthen it. Something you can't do with a pull stroke on the saw teeth.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:51:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Someone here had a thread about a Cold Steel Chinese War Sword that he bought.
Seemed pretty nice.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:52:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Cold Steel sells a Gladious (sp), one of the Roman style short swords.

You could get a big Kukri blade too. (CS also has those.)

If you don't have any experience with machete's, I suggest... well, a machete.

Becker sells the BK3, a heavier duty version of the SP8 you have pictured above. It might be a hair longer, and it's a lot thicker.

I have a CS Kukri Machete, its a good chopper but I want something beefier and longer

ETA: In before that's what she said

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:52:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  There is the grip guard to help against that.  

The SP8 is a wrecking and entering tool as much as a woods survival tool. The tip is supposed to be forced in a crack and the teeth used to widen and lengthen it. Something you can't do with a pull stroke on the saw teeth.

The guard is nowhere near robust enough for that.  If you are applying serious pressure to work with that you are, at some point, slip and cut the ever living hell out of yourself.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:56:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you want a cheap, awesome solution, check out the Cold Steel Gladius Machete. I just got two and they KICK ASS for their role.

If you want a real sword, though... Cas Hanwei Tactical Wakizashi. Best $90 I ever spent. I've tried to utterly destroy mine, doing everything to it that you should never do to a sword. It mocks me. Not my favorite blade, but for the money, it's the toughest and most capable by far. Tougher than several $600+ swords I have, I am sure.

TR85.

thanks, this looks promising

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:59:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:03:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I just bought an Eotech and a $500 scope in the EE, but next paycheck I'm ordering that tactical wakizashi
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:05:33 AM EDT
[#13]
http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-41576-Gator-Machete-Sheath/dp/B000Q9BBZI
Gerber makes this one but it isn't full tang.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:08:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:15:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:18:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:44:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Bladed weapons will 'stick' in bones.  Especially strong thin bones like those of the skull.
You want maximum destruction and damage without the threat of having to wrench the weapon back out of your target.  Zombies travel in packs making the need for quick follow up attacks critical.
Baseball bat would be more effective than any bladed weapon.  You're looking to destroy the head, not cut it off.  
Spears give a little more standoff but you still have to jab a pretty small target and then retract the weapon quickly.
You already know how to hit a softball with a bat right?  Consider tee-ball and little league zombie-eradication training.
Swing for the fences.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:51:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:53:56 AM EDT
[#19]

I don't understand why zombie tools is not an industry partner with ARF. It'a match made in heaven.

" Fist full of fuck yeah"
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#20]
The golock is the way I went...

Rhino
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just bought an Eotech and a $500 scope in the EE, but next paycheck I'm ordering that tactical wakizashi

I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with it... Keep in mind, it isn't a particularly large or heavy blade. Rather it is a very practical size and super nimble. It is also freaking tough. I, quite literally, demolished a car with mine.

The lanyard that comes on the blade out of the box: Just take it off, in my opinion it just gets in the way.

Small note, as with pretty much all Japanese styled blades, you want to avoid yanking it from fully-sheathed to all the way out of the sheath quickly. When the sword is fully sheathed, it should have a friction fit that keeps it from falling out or rattling around too much. When possible, slowly pull the sword out about 3/4s of an inch first, then yank that bitch out. Obviously, if the SHTF, you won't care as much in live-or-die moments. But it's pointless to excessively wear the friction fit when just playing with it.

Don't try to sharpen it without talking to someone who understands Japanese style swords... Unless you're chopping serious stuff I doubt you'll ever need to sharpen it really. Swords don't need to be "knife sharp" to cut the shit out of things anyway.

When you get it, I can give you a quick idiots-guide to using it if you'd like.
What's the guide, don't cut my legs off?

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got a nice original US Model 1860 Naval cutlass, in excellent condition. IM me if you're interested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top