Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2011 8:27:33 PM EDT
Son of a bitch.

Really takes the steam out of the engine when you bust your ass doing great work, even exceeding what you are supposed to do, only to have the lousy, gorram goverment take HALF!

I have exceeded my sales quotas most every day I've worked there, came in when they needed a extra hand, gotten customers to buy extra items & enjoyed doing so. I am proud of the work I do. But I don't do it to pay for someone elses bills.

*rant off*
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Son of a bitch.

Really takes the steam out of the engine when you bust your ass doing great work, even exceeding what you are supposed to do, only to have the lousy, gorram goverment take HALF!

I have exceeded my sales quotas most every day I've worked there, came in when they needed a extra hand, gotten customers to buy extra items & enjoyed doing so. I am proud of the work I do. But I don't do it to pay for someone elses bills.

*rant off*

You must be one of those millionaires who owns a jetliner I keep hearing about.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the muffins
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Somewhere a welfare parasite is smoking your check.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep. They took half of my bonus as well. I never understand why it's taxed the same as a regular paycheck.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#5]
The government do take a bite, don't she?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yep. They took half of my bonus as well. I never understand why it's taxed the same as a regular paycheck.

Because 'the money isn't yours', duh.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Son of a bitch.

*rant off*

Stop your bitching, Subject, and get back to work.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Bonuses are withheld at the maximum marginal tax rate (33%). You'll get the remainder over your actual tax rate netted against your tax liability and/or in your refund.

ETA: This applies to high income earners. I'm not sure what goes on for lower incomes. I hate individual taxation.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Have them cut a separate check, apart from the weekly (or bi-weekly).  Fuck an interest-free loan to bloated .gov

Edit:  NM, I'm thinking overtime.  Put your withholding right below the legal limit and pay in april what you "owe"
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bonuses are withheld at the maximum marginal tax rate (33%). You'll get the remainder over your actual tax rate netted against your tax liability and/or in your refund.

Fawkin' killjoy - bringing logic to  a good rant..............

My severance package in '03 was taxed at 45%.............

Brian

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to hear that you lost half of your bonus you worked hard to get.

I made these a while back, take your pick. They all seem to apply to your current situation

And if you're a gamer:

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

ETA: This applies to high income earners. I'm not sure what goes on for lower incomes. I hate individual taxation.
My bonus checks are usually hit with a 45% tax rate.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#16]
My last check with overtime had over $800 in taxes.  Even though my paycheck is more it would be nice to enjoy the fruits of my labor.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, if it wasn't for other people buying your stuff you wouldn't have made that money, now it's time to help out and give back.

/The bullshit line I've been hearing from the welfare rats and trash around here lately justifying the taxes I pay as an employed individual

I know how you feel
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Son of a bitch.

*rant off*

THIS Is what distribution of wealth is really about...

cutting everyone down until no one is motivated to work hard and the government can control what you get

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Lunchbucket Joe reminds you that paying taxes is patriotic.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Been on a bonus/commision plan for years so I'm used to this.   Nothing sucks worse than losing 40% in taxes, it would be worse if my company didn't deduct 401K contributions from my bonus checks.  Strangely they used to not do this.

I'm going to get flamed for this but if 15% is good enough for a guy flipping stocks WTF should I be paying 30+%?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Odd.  I seem to remember getting bonuses in, say, 2006 and the government taking out just as much.

But here I come to find out this is all a new phenomenon!  I guess I learn something every day.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#25]
this is the way it's always been. Bonuses are taxed as if they were your (pay-period) income (as if you got that amount every pay period); when you file your taxes, you get a chunk back as a refund.

If you get your bonus early enough in the year, you can adjust your withholdings to zero out the refund.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My bonus checks are usually hit with a 45% tax rate.

It is disheartening to bonus $12,000 and get a check for $6,600.

I am fortunate to get a monetary bonus and a stock bonus. I only pay capital gains when the stock vests AFAIK.

One time I won a contest where I got $500, they paid me $787 or something like that so I would really get my $500
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#27]
You were lucky enough that the government lets you keep that much. Your success is just a product of living in the United States, so it was never really yours to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Welcome to my world
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#29]
you just spent half your bonus on gubmint cheese.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Somewhere a welfare parasite is smoking your check.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quit complaining and get back to work, we have more solar panels to fund.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Too many Long legged mack daddy pix. I am gonna go throw up now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#33]
The Free Shit Army thanks you for paying your Fair Share™

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Bonus....WTF is that?!?!?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Bonus....WTF is that?!?!?

most states, Welfare
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Been on a bonus/commision plan for years so I'm used to this.   Nothing sucks worse than losing 40% in taxes, it would be worse if my company didn't deduct 401K contributions from my bonus checks.  Strangely they used to not do this.

I'm going to get flamed for this but if 15% is good enough for a guy flipping stocks WTF should I be paying 30+%?

Unless you are at the very top most tax bracket, you are going to get some of that money back at tax time. They do max withholding, which is likely not the same as the tax rate you will actually have to pay on that money.

And as far as those stock flippers, they are going to get fucked come 2013 too. 15% to 30%, I think. So rest easy, the Feds will leave no penny unturned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top