Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2011 6:26:46 PM EDT
I lost the rear takedown pin from my Colt AR15A3 16" carbine. I got a replacement, together with the detent and spring. However, I can see no place in the receiver to put the spring & detent. The replacement rear pin has the groove with a divot out of each end for the detent to pop into.

If it helps, the takedown pins appear to be the same diameter, but the front pin is a sex nut or sex screw while the rear pin is one piece.

I would very much like to sort this out quickly.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I lost the rear takedown pin from my Colt AR15A3 16" carbine. I got a replacement, together with the detent and spring. However, I can see no place in the receiver to put the spring & detent. The replacement rear pin has the groove with a divot out of each end for the detent to pop into.

If it helps, the takedown pins appear to be the same diameter, but the front pin is a sex nut or sex screw while the rear pin is one piece.

I would very much like to sort this out quickly.

Thanks.

The cut for the detent and spring is in the rear of the receiver under the stock. You need to remove the stock to get to the spring and detent.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The gentleman from illannoys is correct. Minor surgery to get to the rear detent.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
So the stock & buffer tube both need to come off?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to the Build It Yourself threads in the tech forums for pictures.

This place has more than GD, believe it or not.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yup. The receiver end plate is what is holding pressure on the other side of the spring for the rear detent. Have fun not crunching the spring when installing the buffer tube and endplate back on.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For a carbine stock, you need to remove the castle nut and plate that sits at the rear of the receiver. For a rifle stock the buffer tube stays in the receiver and you just remove the stock.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#7]
those darn sex screws remove your stock, insert detent spring and takedown pin.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Join date, post count...wait, wat?

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I wasnna know how you lost the takedown pin without first removing the detent and spring,,,
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wasnna know how you lost the takedown pin without first removing the detent and spring,,,

Oh, I didn't see that first bit.

I'm gunna need pics.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:56:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is a mystery that ranks with the whereabouts of Judge Crater. I can only tell you that I did it, just as when people begin to stammer when they see me and my wife together I say "She did in fact marry me. Beyond that, I have no evidence which would resolve your confusion or dispel your unbelief."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top