Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2011 6:09:33 PM EDT
My roommate and I are having a tiff in regards to whether a wedding, traditionally paid for mostly by the bride's family, a form of dowry? He says it isn't, I say it is. I need a consensus here, ARFCom!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Dating is also a form of prostitution.

For fucks sake NEVER tell her all this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I agree with you....

We paid for our wedding ourself, provided clothes for her faimly, ect...... Her father took his tie off right before the wedding, her side of the faimly were almost all dressed like white trash while everybody on mine was dressed nice, it was so bad our photographer did not take any pictures of her side of the faimly. The wedding cost around $55,000 and the only thing they supplied was the PA equipment and the "dj" her dumbass brother who fucked up the songs and played them in the wrong order and forgot to turn on the system once..........when we walked back down the isle.

There was even a issue with them for a while because they did not want to rent a $19.99 uhaul pickup to move the pa equipment....

God, now I'm pissed again......

She and her little sister are the only two in there faimly that have any sinse what so ever.

Her brother, the dj, had the balls to ask to use my buddies pvs-14 for a few days..... This is a guy who cant hold a dish washing job at a crappy resturant and once fell down the steps off the deck because he was looking at the moon while walking, said the moon distracted him. The first time he ever saw a laser pointer (really sheltered people) I had him going accross the floor like he was a cat...and he was 19 at the time.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#3]
With her family paying for most yes I'd say it is dowry.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#4]
With her family paying for most yes I'd say it is dowry.

Yup
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, it is usually the bride that wants the "fairy tale wedding" anyway.  Let her family pay for it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Current gf plans on getting married in Vegas if we get married She doesn't want all the drama.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Dowry implies the groom is getting some extra stuff just for being the groom and providing a home for the woman. Like a herd of goats. At least you could sell those, milk them or use them to clear off a vacant lot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Where is the pole poll?

And yes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#10]
What culture?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#11]
No, not a dowry. The big wedding is for the girl, not the guy. A dowry is used to sweeten the deal to marry one's daughter. A big, fancy wedding doesn't do that for the guy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No, not a dowry. The big wedding is for the girl, not the guy. A dowry is used to sweeten the deal to marry one's daughter. A big, fancy wedding doesn't do that for the guy.

This
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you....

We paid for our wedding ourself, provided clothes for her faimly, ect...... Her father took his tie off right before the wedding, her side of the faimly were almost all dressed like white trash while everybody on mine was dressed nice, it was so bad our photographer did not take any pictures of her side of the faimly. The wedding cost around $55,000 and the only thing they supplied was the PA equipment and the "dj" her dumbass brother who fucked up the songs and played them in the wrong order and forgot to turn on the system once..........when we walked back down the isle.

There was even a issue with them for a while because they did not want to rent a $19.99 uhaul pickup to move the pa equipment....

God, now I'm pissed again......

She and her little sister are the only two in there faimly that have any sinse what so ever.

Her brother, the dj, had the balls to ask to use my buddies pvs-14 for a few days..... This is a guy who cant hold a dish washing job at a crappy resturant and once fell down the steps off the deck because he was looking at the moon while walking, said the moon distracted him. The first time he ever saw a laser pointer (really sheltered people) I had him going accross the floor like he was a cat...and he was 19 at the time.

So you get along with her and her little sister because they have sinsemilla?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top