Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/29/2011 3:15:11 PM EDT
If you get arrested and convicted of DUI off post do you get in any trouble with your unit? NJP?

Had a very drunk E-5 that i recently hooked up with a cab ride home assure me "not if you're a good Marine."
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If you get arrested and convicted of DUI off post do you get in any trouble with your unit? NJP?

Had a very drunk E-5 that i recently hooked up with a cab ride home assure me "not if you're a good Marine."

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Lose your base driving privileges, back when I was in.

Also, a page entry in your SRB.

Other than that, might be different these days.

And no, I didn't get one.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If you get convicted off base, you're getting in heap-big trouble on base, too.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's what they did if you got one ON BASE when i was in.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on the unit. Shit offbase can be covered up. Or it can be used to fuck someone pretty hard. Depends.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't be surprised if a Marine didn't get booted out for a DUI nowadays.

If you are a GOOD Marine they might let you hang on.  Lose a rank more than likely.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I wouldn't be surprised if a Marine didn't get booted out for a DUI nowadays.

If you are a GOOD Marine they might let you hang on.  Lose a rank more than likely.

For one, no.  AA attendance or some treatment program is what the Army gives you.  Two . . .  you are going to have to work to stay in, if you can.  Three in six months and they just write the paperwork, there is no more punishment to give you.  There was a kid at the SBOLC support company back in 2007 who got three in three months time, while he was still serving his NJP for the first one they were chaptering him out.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Also, a page entry in your SRB.

Other than that, might be different these days.

And no, I didn't get one.

Yes, most likely "page 11" in SRB. Less serious than a NinJa Punch. I always loved reading/writing page 11s and NJPs, Marines do some pretty interesting things out on Dets.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Depends on the unit. Shit offbase can be covered up. Or it can be used to fuck someone pretty hard. Depends.

This.  It greatly depends on the Commander.  Legally, you are required to notify your Commander of a DUI or any other arrest, but I know an Air Force Officer who had a DUI off base and hired a lawyer that handled it for him.  He said his Commander never did find out about it.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#10]
DUIs are the military hot button.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

They sure are in the Navy.

Career killer these days of PTS.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on the branch of service and job.   I have seen two nurses and one Dr. get DUI's and still get promoted!  This was in the Air Force.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I work with some folks who have recently seperated and / or got kicked out. Zero tolerance seems to be the rule these days. 20 yrs ago we could get away with alot more bad behaviour than they allow in the corps today.

I'm pretty sure the first dui would get most marines booted out these days vs 3 or 4 when I was in.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#14]
you're going to get raped
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on the branch of service and job.   I have seen two nurses and one Dr. get DUI's and still get promoted!  This was in the Air Force.

I have seen both sides of the coin on this. People busted and promoted. I swear though if I ever had to hear another cover your ass "Safety briefing" beginning with this fact I would physically vomit. Was this shit legal last week? Well guess what? It still isn't.  Enough said on the matter. Sign a quarterly statement of understanding or take an online certification and be done with it. Old enough to carry a gun and be entrusted to shoot at people= old enough to be treated as an adult and dealt with accordingly. JMHO
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Lest we forget the PR (periodic re-investigation)...  I have seen folks lose their clearance a couple of years past the incident due to the PR finding it... NEVER EVER LIE or omit on your SF86...
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#17]
They were chaptering junior enlisted out for us, and getting everyone else in a shit ton of trouble for DUIs.

Either way, it's fucking stupid, especially in the military. You always have someone to call to pick you up, and if your plan A falls apart and you do call someone you're usually given more respect for doing the right thing rather than trying to skate, IME.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I think a lot depends on unit.  In my unit (Army), if you get charged with ANY alcohol related incident, you are getting kicked out.  I can't even count the number of people I have known that lost all their benefits and gotten kicked out for minor alcohol offenses or a DUI.  Even a drunk in public will likely get you the boot anymore in my unit.

However, a friend in another unit just told me guys were getting DUIs left and right and they'd get nothing more than an article 15.  He came from the unit I am currently at, so he was surprised.

Doesn't matter if it is on-post or off-post here.  If you're off post, you either tell your CoC or they will find out when it comes down on the blotter and ream you even harder for not telling them right away.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#19]
When I was still active duty, we were given "cab cards".....  They basically had instructions on them for the cabbie to take us to building such and such on the base and contact the Officer of the Day (OOD).....  The OOD had a small cash box to pay the cabbie with.   This was no questions asked.  Only catch was you had to repay the funds... If this kinda thing still exists, there is no excuse...
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When I was still active duty, we were given "cab cards".....  They basically had instructions on them for the cabbie to take us to building such and such on the base and contact the Officer of the Day (OOD).....  The OOD had a small cash box to pay the cabbie with.   This was no questions asked.  Only catch was you had to repay the funds... If this kinda thing still exists, there is no excuse...

We had the same.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They're officers, and med staff. Of course strings were pulled.

Enlisted? Job that requires a clearance? They'd be booted out on their ass in no time.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Also depends if you are going to war or not. Couple months to war and just about everything gets overlooked. They need warm bodies.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Also depends if you are going to war or not. Couple months to war and just about everything gets overlooked. They need warm bodies.

DUI must be a non-issue right now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#24]
My friend is in the AF, lost the 2nd installment of his signing bonus
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Not Marines, but Air Force-

DUI's are a quick ticket out of the military. I have seen two other-than-honorables and one dishonorable discharge in my own squadron, and the rest of the base is quick to demote you, suspend your driving privileges, and kick you out without a second thought. The economy is bad and there are people waiting to get in, screwing up like that is a sure way to move to the top of the trim list.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had the same.

We just have our leadership's numbers on a card- you sure can call them, but you can expect a good ribbing for the next few days as to why you don't have any friends to drive you home

During the winter their is a local law firm that offers free taxi rides to military from a bar to their house. It is called the 'safe ride home program' or something. You would be surprised how many people still choose to drive drunk. We even had a now civilian drive through the front of a persons house after a drunken night out. Idiots.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have seen both sides of the coin on this. People busted and promoted. I swear though if I ever had to hear another cover your ass "Safety briefing" beginning with this fact I would physically vomit. Was this shit legal last week? Well guess what? It still isn't.  Enough said on the matter. Sign a quarterly statement of understanding or take an online certification and be done with it. Old enough to carry a gun and be entrusted to shoot at people= old enough to be treated as an adult and dealt with accordingly. JMHO

In the Navy you are almost guaranteed to lose a stripe if you are e6 and below.  e7 and above you pretty much get a pass.  Also if you have a NJP in you service record you will most likely get PTS out.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

We had the same, and we had an order from the BC that if you call someone in your Chain of Command or the NCO support channel and ask for a ride, they have to find someone to get you a ride, up to and including calling the BC or CSM if no one is available.

Granted, if you called the CSM to pic you up, you and your supervisors are going to get the ever living shit smoked out of you for failing to plan, but you won't get in paperwork trouble.

They were pretty serious about the "no drinking and driving" thing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Get a DUI on or off base, and you lose base driving privileges.  That's just for starters.  Forget about getting promoted.    

Career kiss of death these days.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Back in my day no big deal(mid -late 90's Office hours, sign here and be done with it).  Hell I had a few Sgt's that had 2 or 3.  Today I would imagine it's a bigger deal.  Maybe not so much in the grunts but other fields It's a killer from what I hear.  I worked with some AF guys(lat year) that were saying they were pissed cause they had 1 DUI for their unit that year.  I laughed and said we used to have 1 per week.  They said your USMC Infantry it's expected.  Just my.02 worth.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Saw an NCO get a dui on his way to post before a live fire range. He was charged in the local court and lost a stripe to an NJP. He kept his security clearance after a review decided he was good to go. That was in 2003, wouldn't be suprised if it had changed by now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not Marines, but Air Force-

DUI's are a quick ticket out of the military. I have seen two other-than-honorables and one dishonorable discharge in my own squadron, and the rest of the base is quick to demote you, suspend your driving privileges, and kick you out without a second thought. The economy is bad and there are people waiting to get in, screwing up like that is a sure way to move to the top of the trim list.

There is no way in hell that a DUI on its own can get you a dishonorable discharge. The only way a servicemember can get a DD is by conviction by a General Court Martial, and you don't get a General Court Martial for a misdemeanor offense like DUI.

Now if you're convicted of DUI, leaving the scene of an accident, and vehicular manslaughter, then yeah. You'll probably end up facing the nine guys behind the table. But not for DUI by itself.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Depends on the unit and the cooperation between the arresting authority and the base.

It's been several years but we had an E4 get busted for DUI off base.

The CWO talked to a bud in JAG who said if it comes down on the blotter they'd have to take action, till then play it quiet.

Short version - it never came down on the blotter, the E4 went to court accompanied by a gunny for character reference, judge was exceptionally lenient (fine, mandatory DUI school, 6 months DL suspension).

No action taken by the unit.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Her at Ft Riley if you get a DUI off post the Army can't touch you, it's double jeopardy. All we can do is send you to ASAP. No ART 15, no chapter, nothing. JAG won't even let us ART 15 them for disobeying a lawful order from a Commissioned Officer even though we all get safety briefs from a Captain or higher every weekend. Our JAG office here is populated with bleeding hearts that ALWAYS side with the shitbag.

On post DUI is an automatic Chapter. Two weeks and you are a civilian and you can kiss your GI bill and VA home loan goodbye. I haven't seen any E-7 or higher get a DUI so I don't know if they would let that slide or not.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Back in the day, they would school you on how not to get caught.  We use to have unit parties where folks would pass out on the ball field and bleacher, wake up in the morning and finish off the kegs.  Unless you were a Mormon, they would not trust you if you didn't drink.  This included Officers and Enlisted.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Last week one of my PFCs got a DUI at the front gate, he was of age and blew a .03 on the breath test. There is a .01 limit on Camp LeJeune. Automatic loss of driving priveleges for 1 year, automatic Battalion NJP; reduction in rank, 45/45 and 1/2 pay and allowances for 2 months. He also got a seperate Page 11 for bein dropped from the range because he now could not drive out to Stone bay.

Automatic "Adverse" FITREP for SNCOs. Inelligeble for re-enlistment, you wint even be looked at. Even if off base, you will be charged in our Battalion for failure to follow a lawfull order. DUI is no $hit career ender

No BS anymore!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#37]
In my experience you will get NJP if convucted off-base.  You will lose your civilian driver's license for a year, therefore you aren't driving on base either.

In my unit the only hope you have of your CoC not finding out is if you get locked up out of the county the base is in and bond out immediately.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:42:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
In my experience you will get NJP if convucted off-base.  You will lose your civilian driver's license for a year, therefore you aren't driving on base either.

In my unit the only hope you have of your CoC not finding out is if you get locked up out of the county the base is in and bond out immediately.

With the new legal tracking system, the command can find out if you have had any legal issues anywhere in The country. I know the bases here have an agreement with all the surrounding states to share info on any military members. Thats how they have caught several deserters in the past couple of years. Caught a guy from our unit who had gotten busted for yanking a fire alarm at a university in Pennsylvania about 4 months prior. He never told anyone he got in trouble and we never would have found out.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:52:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

We have the same.

CQ keeps will pay your cab fare no questions asked and you always have someone to call if a plan falls apart.  I have no sympathy for DUI's
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:58:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Her at Ft Riley if you get a DUI off post the Army can't touch you, it's double jeopardy. All we can do is send you to ASAP. No ART 15, no chapter, nothing. JAG won't even let us ART 15 them for disobeying a lawful order from a Commissioned Officer even though we all get safety briefs from a Captain or higher every weekend. Our JAG office here is populated with bleeding hearts that ALWAYS side with the shitbag.

On post DUI is an automatic Chapter. Two weeks and you are a civilian and you can kiss your GI bill and VA home loan goodbye. I haven't seen any E-7 or higher get a DUI so I don't know if they would let that slide or not.

I'm out of Riley as well, I saw an O2 get a DUI and no it was not allowed to slide.

You can't prosecute them because as you stated the JAG is calling it double jeopardy, but before we deployed our unit had an approved course where if you got a DUI (even off post) you had to attend a unit run class on saturday and sundays for I think it was 3 months, with tests along the way.  If you failed any of the tests you got recycled and had to start over.  The course was run by the BN/BDE staff duties and the senior ranking Officer or NCO in the class.  It was somewhat effective at discouraging DUI's.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:58:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

When I was in (late 80's- early 90's) I was an E-5. An E-6 was arrested off base one night and called me to pick him up from jail. By the time everything was done he was an E-4.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:00:24 AM EDT
[#42]
FWIW, my buddies that are in the service have pretty much told me a dui/dwi, whatever you want to call it, is an automatic exit from the military. That being said, I have no idea how my friends that are in haven't gotten the boot yet
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:38:03 AM EDT
[#43]
DWI/DUI are career killers

The mil can choose to prosecute after civil prosecution, but often does not to avoid the appearance of double jeopardy, which it is not because it falls under the category of separate sovereigns
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:12:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Lest we forget the PR (periodic re-investigation)...  I have seen folks lose their clearance a couple of years past the incident due to the PR finding it... NEVER EVER LIE or omit on your SF86...

Correct.  Disclose everything
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:14:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm out of Riley as well, I saw an O2 get a DUI and no it was not allowed to slide.

You can't prosecute them because as you stated the JAG is calling it double jeopardy, but before we deployed our unit had an approved course where if you got a DUI (even off post) you had to attend a unit run class on saturday and sundays for I think it was 3 months, with tests along the way.  If you failed any of the tests you got recycled and had to start over.  The course was run by the BN/BDE staff duties and the senior ranking Officer or NCO in the class.  It was somewhat effective at discouraging DUI's.

OK now I will explain the whole thing.

If a Service-member receives a DUI off post from a non-federal entity, prosecuting it additionally through the Military Justice system is not double jeopardy; the state and the federal entity are different sovereigns and therefore bring no double jeopardy issues.  There are however issues of fundamental fairness represented by the double jeopardy concept.

Moreover the military does not have the legal interest it seems to think it does in prosecuting off-post minor criminal activity.  It's the states interest to police its roads; not the US military.  Additionally an "order not to drink and drive" is really nothing more than an order to "obey the law."  That is so vague as to be meaningless.  Additionally a prosecution for dui would have to be done under Article 134, bringing in the state staute.  DUI prosecution is highly technical and our TC's simply do not have the experience to prosecute it.  In all ways it would be foolish to do.

Now that does not mean administrative action cannot be taken.  Every DUI that appeared on the blotter resulted in a GOMOR and frequently a loss of on post driving privileges.

On post DUIs were a constant source of conflict for me.  If you were a civilian I was prosecuting you in Federal District court and you were going to get a DUI on your record.  Service-members would receive NJP (I never had someone demand a Court Martial) - of course NJP does not create a criminal record.  Thus, while you might get kicked out, doubtful unless you were an officer,  it was basically a free past, but I could never get the COC to understand that.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:29:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Snip

Thanks for the explanation

The JAG guys just told us we couldn't do anything except administrative actions because it was double jeopardy to prosecute them.  Yours is the first explanation I've heard.  Learn something new everyday.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:57:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Funny you should ask. I had to attend a battalion level public NJP yesterday for some kid that got a DUI trying to come back on base. Dumbass.
45/45,reduction to private, 1/2 months pay for like 3 months, and loss of base driving priviliges
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:06:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny you should ask. I had to attend a battalion level public NJP yesterday for some kid that got a DUI trying to come back on base. Dumbass.
45/45,reduction to private, 1/2 months pay for like 3 months, and loss of base driving priviliges

Quoted:
Quoted:

Last week one of my PFCs got a DUI at the front gate, he was of age and blew a .03 on the breath test. There is a .01 limit on Camp LeJeune. Automatic loss of driving priveleges for 1 year, automatic Battalion NJP; reduction in rank, 45/45 and 1/2 pay and allowances for 2 months. He also got a seperate Page 11 for bein dropped from the range because he now could not drive out to Stone bay.

Automatic "Adverse" FITREP for SNCOs. Inelligeble for re-enlistment, you wint even be looked at. Even if off base, you will be charged in our Battalion for failure to follow a lawfull order. DUI is no $hit career ender

No BS anymore!!

Sounds like you two might know each other!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:11:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No BS anymore!!

Sounds like you two might know each other!

Ha that's what I was just thinking. BuckWild, are you maintenance btn?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:18:00 AM EDT
[#50]
the S-i-L had a DUI off base. Dropped back to E-4 and classes. His CO said stay clean or next time i cannot protect you. Lucky for him those higher up the food chain liked him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top