Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2011 11:38:59 AM EDT
I love the Vortex Viper,but the BDC only goes to 500.

Is there a good scope around or under $500 that has BDC out farther, maybe even to 800?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I would think that would depend on how much elevation you could get out of the reticle for the size of the scope at that range.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless the bdc is calibrated to your bullets B.C. and velocity it will be so far off at 800 as to not be of much help....
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Unless the bdc is calibrated to your bullets B.C. and velocity it will be so far off at 800 as to not be of much help....

Even on man-size targets, or just for precision shooting?

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes you can find the Zeiss Conquest with RZ-600 ballistic reticle for under $500.  To say the glass is outstanding would be an understatement.

I think the RZ-1000 reticled versions are a little more.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#5]
David Tubb was going to have some Chinese scopes made with his DTR reticle. Might want to contact him and see if he has any.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Even man sized targets. factory preset BDCs are set for a determined bullet and velocity. The further you go the less accurate it is (unless by luck you chose the correct combo). Unless you have the scope company build the BDC for your selected bullet/velocity.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#7]
MidwayUSA also has a sale on the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 fixed power with 0.1 mil adjustment finger turrets for $200.  

The glass is not as hot as a Zeiss, but it tracks rock solid and has plenty of elevation.  Just learn to use the mildot for range estimation.  Then with the 1/10th mil turrets, holdovers and windage are a snap.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I will give you an example. Put an acog on a 14.5 inch carbine with 62 grain bullets. Shoot it at 600 yards. The put the same acog on a 20 inch rifle with 77 grain smk. Shoot again, the two bullet strikes will not be anywhere close to each other.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Even man sized targets. factory preset BDCs are set for a determined bullet and velocity. The further you go the less accurate it is (unless by luck you chose the correct combo). Unless you have the scope company build the BDC for your selected bullet/velocity.
Jim

Some of the newer BDC scopes like the Zeiss RZ scopes will subtend to your cartridge data and atmospheric conditions by adjusting the power.   You just punch in your data into their web calculator and it gives you the power to set your scope to match your bullet drop.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Just buy a scope with a MIL or MOA based reticle. BDCs are stupid when you get out past a couple hundred yards.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

Some of the newer BDC scopes like the Zeiss RZ scopes will subtend to your cartridge data and atmospheric conditions by adjusting the power.   You just punch in your data into their web calculator and it gives you the power to set your scope to match your bullet drop.

Pretty cool. I gave Leupold my data and they added the correct BDC to scope. Same price range as a Zeiss.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Look at that bullet drop even when zeroed at 400yds!!!!!!!!!

Guess windage?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#14]

IM Sent Thanks

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Look at that bullet drop even when zeroed at 400yds!!!!!!!!!

Guess windage?

Tubb's reticle has windage to 20mph. It works - I've used it to 1100 yards.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
BDCs are stupid when you get out past a couple hundred yards.

I wouldn't go quite that far. BDCs are fine for shooting larger game and similar targets, but I will agree their value is diminished when attempting precision shots at long range.

For the OP, what kind of BDC are you looking for? Some simply provide a pre-calculated drop for a given range (e.g., Nikon Buckmaster) while others provide a means of determining range as well as indicating drop (e.g., Nightforce NP-1RR, Shepherd). These are definitely speed sensitive, so find your load and adjust your scope accordingly. For example, I can set my scope for my typical load to give me POI within 5 inches of POA out to 700 yards. Good enough for live targets, but not for that <1 MOA target shot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#17]
At that range you need volley-fire.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is there a good scope around or under $500 that has BDC out farther, maybe even to 800?

Thanks

Shepherd scopes go to 1000
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shepherd scopes go to 1000.

Yes, and I like mine, but the only chance to find one around or under $500 is used.  

Try GunBroker - but make sure you know the model you want. They have distinctly different BDCs.

Also make sure you like the reticle. It works for me, but some folks find it way too busy.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Shepherd scopes go to 1000

for hunting they're OK.  They are far from a precision scope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top